The war on education

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

The war on education

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:05 am

As trite and cliche as that statement is, legal efforts such as the one below tend to support that premise.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-bill-wo ... l/31122754

A bill in the Kansas Legislature could lead to teachers facing criminal charges for showing students materials that parents would consider harmful and offensive.

While supporters believe the bill protects children and staff members from sexual material in schools, critics argue it could make teachers scared to teach and ban some literary classics.

Senate Bill 56 resulted from a sex education poster displayed on classroom doors at Hocker Grove Middle School in early 2014. The poster described the ways people express sexual feelings, a list that included kisses and hand-holding and more intimate actions.

"There was a list of sexual acts, some of which were highly offensive," said Sen. Mary Pilcher-Cook, the bill's sponsor.

Mark Ellis said that after his 13-year-old daughter saw the poster, he fought to protect her.

Pilcher-Cook said she wants legislation in place to protect all Kansas students from kindergarten through high school. Her bill would prohibit the distribution of sexually offensive material that a reasonable person would find offensive and lacks literary or scientific value.

"I think our kids are subject to enough sexual content on the Internet, on TV, on billboards," said parent Karl Orlich.

The bill would also erase Kansas educators' exemption from criminal prosecution, allowing them to face charges if they present harmful material.

Some parents told KMBC 9 News that they're not OK with that part of the bill.

"They probably wouldn't want to be held accountable for every individual parent's preferences," said parent Megan Smith.

"If a teacher is afraid that they're going to be charged and convicted of a misdemeanor just for doing their job, they're going to be a lot less likely to share any information that someone somewhere might object to," said Micah Kubic, the executive director of the ACLU of Kansas.

The ACLU and the Kansas National Education Association have both testified against the bill, saying that it's too broad and could ban literary classics like "Huckleberry Finn" and "Catcher in the Rye." They argue that parents already have tools they can use if they object to materials without the threat of criminal charges.

Why do you hate the children, ACLU?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The war on education

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:01 pm

There are no "reasonable people" in Kansas.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Considering what a poor job they are doing teaching reading these days, are you sure you want these same dopes teaching children about sex?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Considering what a poor job they are doing teaching reading these days, are you sure you want these same dopes teaching children about sex?

You have a (strong) point!

Around here sexual education is compulsive, 2 hours when students are ~ 14 years old (obligatory education age, which ends at ~ 15). The teacher gets kicked out of the room and an MD takes over.

Parents get an informative circular which they have to sign and send back if they agree, or they can opt out in writing (so it's only compulsive in principle), and after a talk with the school head. (Let's not make it too easy…)

Happens hardly ever (and is stupid as the pals will tell everything – but distorted), and then often with Muslims straight from the bush…

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:26 am

sexual education is compulsive

:lmao:

com·pul·sive
kəmˈpəlsiv/
adjective
adjective: compulsive

resulting from or relating to an irresistible urge, especially one that is against one's conscious wishes.

psst ... "compulsory" :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:psst ... "compulsory" :)

Thanks Abdul, hope you had as good a laugh as me! :lol: And marvelouly fit for the subject… :lol: :lol:

Hey, by the way, I remind all of you that I'm extremely grateful if anybody corrects any of my awkward turns of phrases, Gallicisms, Germanisms, &c.
And my slang improvement has slacked, I must admit. Needs more fuel… :P

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:47 pm

No war needed:

(if it's not trolling, or a hoax :? whaddya think?)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:22 am

Witness wrote:(if it's not trolling, or a hoax :? whaddya think?)

Just a funny joke.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/educatio ... letter.asp
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Just a funny joke.

Already feel better!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:11 am

Even Harvard is not that stupid.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:37 am

Yes, but the joke isen't actually that far-fetched. I've seen a young lady who deemed herself "gifted for the arts" because she could imitate some manga and draw street-graffiti like letters. She applied to a renowned art school with a lot more candidates than places, and being over-confident and also very lazy, cobbled together a poor application file without listening to the so boring and obtuse critics around her.

Got ditched, of course, and had to scramble because she had no alternative project.

(I'll contrast that with the "serious" artists I know, mostly musicians, who can be very lazy fucks in everyday life, but work hard & regularly to get the important stuff right.)

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 am

Yes, but I am sure her rejection letter did not suggest she was a complete waste of oxygen.

--J.D.