The campus political correctness thread

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Anaxagoras

The campus political correctness thread

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:40 am

Figured we should have a catchall thread for the wackiest examples of political correctness at universities.

So here's an opening bid:

Facial, not racial

When two students at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater posted a picture on Snapchat wearing what appeared to be blackface, the school's chancellor quickly - and publicly - condemned the photo. But days later, Beverly Kopper backed off when it was revealed the students were simply wearing skin care treatment masks.

“Last night a disturbing racist post that was made to social media was brought to my attention,” Kopper said in a letter released on Thursday. “This post was hurtful and destructive to our campus community. While social media can certainly bring about positive change, it can also be a place that deeply hurts and harms others.”

Kopper's antennae was up following an unrelated racially-charged incident and complaints from some of the school's black students. In her initial letter, she announced the formation of a faculty group for the purpose of meeting with students to work towards an “action plan” for combatting racism on campus.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The campus political correctness thread

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:27 am

I do not know, I can sort of see the mistake. Would have been smarter to have investigated first, of course.

Not sure if I would call it political correctness.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:17 pm

PC Texas style:

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 pm

They forget arm yourself.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Professors will just carry bigger guns.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-35659685

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

I think you can still get a Masters degree though.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 am

Classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSaAytiB2bM

but UTTERLY Unsafe for Work due to language.

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:03 am

So are we back to "comrade" or "citizen"?

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:15 am

HT to Wildcat for finding this one:

Oberlin College president defends professor’s rights after social media uproar

Apparently "academic freedom" extends to posting conspiracy theories that Jews are behind everything from 9/11 to the Paris attacks, to the Charlie Hebdo attacks, and even ISIS.

Oberlin College president defends professor’s rights after social media uproar

In his written statement, [Oberlin president] Krislov said the postings affected him on a very personal level.

“I am a practicing Jew, grandson of an Orthodox rabbi. Members of our family were murdered in the Holocaust,” he wrote. “As someone who has studied history, I cannot comprehend how any person could or would question its existence, its horrors and the evil which caused it. I feel the same way about anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. Regardless of the reason for spreading these materials, they cause pain for many people — members of our community and beyond.”

Krislov’s personal feelings are coupled with his professional beliefs, he wrote.

“I am also the son of a tenured faculty member at a large research university. My father instilled in me a strong belief in academic freedom,” he wrote. “I believe, as the American Association of University Professors says, that academic freedom is ‘the indispensable quality of institutions of higher education’ because it encourages free inquiry, promotes the expansion of knowledge, and creates an environment in which learning and research can flourish.”

The professor in question is not backing down in the least:

Karega said in the post that she is unbothered by the attacks.

“Trust, when I come up out of my Unbothered state of being, I’ll have a lot to say (analysis, no doubt) about the kinds of intimidation and silencing tactics that are rhetorically enacted in digital spaces, through email, through telephone communication, and propagandized editorial articles, masquerading as “journalism,” and how common it is for Black women, who are early in their career on the tenure track as part of the professoriate, to be prime targets for these kinds of activities and practices,” she wrote.

“And… I’m going to talk about why it is so important to resist these intimidation and silencing tactics and not coil under pressure. But for now, still unbothered.”

Karega received her doctorate from the University of Louisville in 2014 and according to Oberlin College’s website, began teaching courses at Oberlin in 2015. In December, students in the Black Student Union issued an extensive list of demands to the Oberlin College administration. One demand was to guarantee tenure to a number of professors, including Karega.

She only started teaching there in 2015 and the Black Student Union is demanding that she be guaranteed tenure. :roll:

More here:
Inside the Twisted Anti-Semitic Mind of Oberlin Professor Joy Karega
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:24 am

That will do it.

"Academic freedom" does not mean "freedom for us to pay you to be stupid and a Cunt," nor does it apply before tenure.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 am

I would agree but apparently the president of the college sees it differently. I wonder if he's worried about how the black student union would react if he fired her.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Oh no, he does not have to fire her. He has just made it far, far easier justify her denial of tenure in about two years.

Every time she posts and opens her mouth, she digs herself deeper. She will lose many supporters and if the Black Student Union wishes to go on the record supporting a racist loon, it will only invalidate their influence. In the meantime, expect a horde of detractors including alumni who donate to be organized against this Cunt. Expect reporters to be reminded of this when she goes up for tenure. This sort of thing also is in the wheelhouse of a St. Bill O'Reilly.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 am

The funny part is, she seems to think she's winning. No apologies, no I better be more careful about what I say.

Karega views letters like Sherizzy’s and others as fodder for her theories: “My Oberlin email, my Facebook message inbox, my office phone voicemail, and my Twitter account are the gifts that keep on giving. Honestly, I’ve been having these moments (very brief moments, haha) where I want to say to those of you who are emailing, calling, and surveilling my social media accounts for malicious, intimidation, and/or silencing purposes: ‘Folks, you all are making my work too easy; handing my research right to me.’”

What research is that? “My second book project, which I have made significant progress on in terms of research, planning, and the drafting of chapter templates, is entitled Conspiratorial Political Literacies: Rhetorical Practice, Contested Knowledge, and Subversive Politics… It’s downright lazy, uncritical, apolitical, homogenizing, and reductionist to frame conspiracy theories — and the rhetors, writers, and theorists who espouse such theories — in the way that much of the general public, governments, and the academy do. (I won’t lay out that argument here. But it’ll be CLEARLY articulated in one of the chapters of the book).”

Karega continues: “(1) How has the term “conspiracy theory” been used (is being used) to control the parameters of inquiry and research in the academy?; (2) How has the uncomplicated tying of conspiracy theories to accusations of anti-Semitism been used (is being used) to control the parameters of inquiry and research in the academy?; (3) What are we dealing with when we’re witnessing accusations of anti-Semitism being directed at scholars and researchers who explore, espouse, and even defend conspiracy theories? Rhetorically, are we looking at silencing techniques, intimidation tactics, etc.?”

The disturbing argument at work behind all the impressive academic verbiage is that a conspiracy theory, and more specifically an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory, is a legitimate social discourse that should not be silenced or controlled by “relations of power” that authorize accusations of anti-Semitism. In other words, Karega wants to study how Jews silence anti-Semites.

Here’s Karega again: “Also worth investigating and exploring, I can generate articles for days on what I can describe as ‘anti-Semitism call-out culture’ and some of its accompanying practices. I don’t have to tell some of you that these recent activities in my own professional life have handed me a LARGE body of data (emails, voicemail messages, tweets, Facebook inbox messages, etc.) that will shed light on and provide insight into how and to what extent anti-Blackness rhetorics show up in anti-Semitic call-out culture and practices.”

“Anti-Semitism call-out culture” (which, despite its flaws, other people might think of as “social justice culture” or “human rights culture”) contains “anti-Blackness rhetorics,” according to Karega. So when Jews defend themselves against racism and hate speech they are 1) engaging in a kind of rhetoric based not in morality but in power dynamics, and 2) they are themselves guilty, in an as yet undisclosed manner, of anti-black rhetoric. Elsewhere Karega has argued that it is common “for Black women, who are early in their career on the tenure track as part of the professoriate, to be prime targets for these kinds of activities and practices.”
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:46 am

--J.D.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:54 pm

That thread has gone to pot with Upchurch taking offense at the term SJW and demanding a definition for it.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:16 am

Yet another phobia to avoid.

Femmephobia
Everyday Feminism

Please note: Unlike homophobia or transphobia, you pretty much already have to be gay to be guilty of this one.

Like "bi-phobia" it's a question feeling excluded from gay society, otherwise it just reduces to anti-gay stereotyping in general.

The psychology of "bi-phobia" is easy. It is a fear that a gay lover will leave one for the opposite sex.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:32 am

WildCat wrote:That thread has gone to pot with Upchurch taking offense at the term SJW and demanding a definition for it.

Well her own profile says this:
According to her profile on Oberlin’s website, Karega’s teaching and research interests include black political and protest literacies, translingual composition, rhetoric and composition historiography, social justice writing and writing pedagogy. Karega is working on a book project that draws upon archival research and oral history and historicizes the political literacy education of the Black Liberation Front International, a black student organization at Michigan State University from 1968 to 1975.

So calling her a social justice warrior doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

At the same time there are probably some SJWs who would be appalled by what she's saying. And also some who would say "right on sister!"
Is anyone particularly defending her comments (as opposed to simply saying that she is protected by academic freedom)?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:44 am

WildCat wrote:That thread has gone to pot with Upchurch taking offense at the term SJW and demanding a definition for it.

Someone might as well ask Upchurch the definition of "honesty."

--J.D.

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:31 am

Ah, at last they've come to the logical conclusion:

Brown student protesters complain homework is interfering with their activism

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7308

:lmao:

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Justice Gaines, an undergraduate student who uses the pronouns xe, xem and xyr, even recounted suffering from what xe describes as “a panic attack” related to xyr emotions over the Daily Herald op-eds, adding that xe “couldn’t go to class for several days” following the episode.

Liliana Sampedro, one of the students who compiled the diversity ultimatum, argued that refusal to grant such accommodations “has systemic effects on students of color,” who she said may sometimes feel obligated to prioritize their activist work over their studies.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Education”