The campus political correctness thread

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Witness

Re: The campus political correctness thread

Post by Witness » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:07 am

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Sometimes the news is good. :)

[youtube][/youtube]
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:34 pm

University Of Washington Cheerleading Squad Receive Backlash For 'Ideal Cheerleader' Checklist [VIDEO]

I'm shocked that they would expect cheerleaders to look a certain way! This is patriarchy!

The infographic "Cheer and Dance Tryout Look" was posted by the University of Washington cheerleading team for their upcoming tryouts. The team received backlash from students and other critics who said that the poster was sexist as it told women to look a certain way to qualify.
Some students complained that the cheerleader checklist poster undermined the seriousness of cheerleading as a real sport, Daily Mail notes. Some said that as students of color, they felt excluded as they do not embody the descriptions of the checklist that specifically asked for "bronzed or tanned" looks.

The Associated Students of the University of Washington posted on their Facebook page to say that the old cheerleader checklist goes against the prevention of objectification of women that many students and women worked so hard for. They promised to maintain an inclusive environment for all and hopes for the university administration to do the same. People Magazine reports that Washington State University and Louisiana State University had similar cheerleader checklist posters. After the controversy, Louisiana State had removed theirs.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Which is worse?

The lack of "non-white" cheerleaders, or the lack of fat ones? :lmao:

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

"the cheerleader checklist poster undermined the seriousness of cheerleading as a real sport"
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Because "real sport" is totally fucking serious, right? :BigGrin3:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm surprised cheerleading is still allowed.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue May 03, 2016 12:39 am

Quick before it vanishes:

White privilege is dangerous and destructive, but also systemic and normalized. And I'm not singling out my colleague Wendy Beth Hyman's article here by attaching it. There were several articles published in the Oberlin Review this past week that I could have attached here. But this one by Wendy Hyman will do. It's really sad and embarrassing when students are doing a better job than faculty at modeling how to engage in rhetorical debate and create space for critical inquiry.
The article in question:

http://oberlinreview.org/10462/opinions ... -theories/
When I first was made aware of Assistant Professor of Rhetoric and Composition Joy Karega’s postings on social media by a colleague, I was disgusted by her claims that Israel and “Zionist Jews” were somehow behind ISIS, Charlie Hebdo, the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 and even 9/11. Even more distressing were posts that promulgated a claim of a secret Jewish conspiracy behind the media, the economy and the world’s governments. I have come across such materials before in archival sources documenting the anti-Semitic propaganda that helped launch the Holocaust and on contemporary neo-Nazi websites. My colleague disseminated other conspiracies, too, like the existence of government-controlled “chemtrails.” Based on one video she posted, for example, Hurricane Sandy was deliberately “weaponized” in order to get Obama reelected.

As a Jew, I was certainly offended by these posts. But I was even more offended as an intellectual. One might expect to find such paranoid accusations festering somewhere on the web, but there is a reason you don’t generally hear such things being espoused by scholars with Ph.Ds. That is because such unsubstantiated, unfalsifiable, speculative hypotheses are not only overwhelmingly wrong, but are also the opposite of research.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue May 03, 2016 10:38 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 am

Not about PC, but ROI:
College ROI Report: Best Value Colleges

With the average college student graduating with almost $30K in student loans, prospective college students, parents and policymakers are all trying to better understand the value of college education in the job market.
The data

But that's less glamorous than Fighting for Justice®.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu May 12, 2016 3:34 am

Harvard doesn't want its students to join single-sex fraternities or sororities or "final clubs" (it's a Harvard thing)
A final club is an exclusive undergraduate social club at Harvard College. The most prominent of these (and oldest, dating to 1791) are the traditionally all-male, exclusive final clubs. More recently, beginning in 1991, all-female final clubs, as well as fraternities and sororities along the lines of similar organizations found at many colleges and universities, have appeared. While a small number of these organizations have begun to admit both sexes, most do not—the reason, in general, that Harvard College refuses to recognize them.
But this isn't just going be a suggestion anymore, now there are actually going to be some consequences for students who join these groups:
In 2016, Harvard undertook to further marginalize organizations that, in the stated view of the administration, are "exclusionary and disempowering",[1] by barring members of unrecognized single-sex organizations from campus leadership positions and from receiving certain types of Harvard recommendation letters.
That last bit about not being allowed to receive "certain types of Harvard recommendation letters" means that those students would not be eligible to receive a Rhodes or Marshall scholarship. So the consequences are not merely symbolic or minor.

In reaction, some Harvard students are now protesting the decision:

http://www.wbur.org/2016/05/10/harvard- ... es-protest

Who is leading the protests? The fraternities or the male final clubs?
Dozens of students marched around Harvard Yard Monday, saying the move unfairly hurts Harvard women.

Shouting “Hear her Harvard,” the protesters — who were mostly women, many belonging to all-women final clubs or sororities — said Harvard’s restrictions would deprive women of spaces away from men.

The women say these spaces are necessary to foster self-confidence on a campus where they say men tend to be overbearing in class and disrespectful in social situations.

Sophomore Caroline Tervo told fellow protesters gender discrimination happens every single day at Harvard.

“In the classroom where men speak more than women, and on the weekend where women are targeted and shamed for their sexuality,” Tervo said. “On campus and in a society that is so male-dominated, female spaces are crucial sources of empowerment.”

The students are also protesting Harvard’s move against all-male final clubs and fraternities.

First read about this here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Letter from Harvard President Drew Gilpin Faust:
http://www.harvard.edu/president/news/2 ... anizations
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 12, 2016 3:50 am

↑ Do the fraternities (and sororities) have saber fights to get a Schmiss?

Just joking.

When I was a student (in France), nobody cared what I did, nor even if I attended. There were just two exams/year, and possibly a third at the end of summer if you flunked.
But then, in that paleolithic period, we were considered adults – free but responsible.

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado » Thu May 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:

. . . . “On campus and in a society that is so male-dominated, female spaces are crucial sources of empowerment.”
Male-dominated?

B. Fricking. S.

Not for years.

But I like her Title IX equality argument: All clubs must be treated equally. and by all clubs, we mean apply the rules to the male clubs, only. For equality.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 pm

All animals are equal, ben. . . .

--J. "Four Legs Good! Two Legs Better!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 12, 2016 8:54 pm

↑ Aren't burkas a kind of portable female (safe) space?

… I'm in a bad mood… :cry:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu May 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Ben Trovado wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

. . . . “On campus and in a society that is so male-dominated, female spaces are crucial sources of empowerment.”
Male-dominated?

B. Fricking. S.

Not for years.

But I like her Title IX equality argument: All clubs must be treated equally. and by all clubs, we mean apply the rules to the male clubs, only. For equality.
They do love that word "spaces". Seems like segregation is now more popular than integration. But this time it's different because this time it's for Teh Social Justice.

But to be fair, I don't see anyone arguing that the rules should only apply to male clubs.
William Shakespeare

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado » Thu May 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:

They do love that word "spaces". Seems like segregation is now more popular than integration. But this time it's different because this time it's for Teh Social Justice.

But to be fair, I don't see anyone arguing that the rules should only apply to male clubs.
I may be reading too much into other news reports, but I keep seeing policy statements from the protesters : "“We want the College to return to the drawing board and create policy that acknowledges the necessity of women’s spaces on campus,” the Crimson Women’s Coalition wrote in a statement notifying journalists of the rally."

Like that. They do not demand that the policy be rescinded, or that things go back to where they were before. Instead, they argue for putting a new policy in place, as long as the new policy protect women's spaces on campus.

I have seen a few similar quotes. Again, maybe I am reading too much into it, but it looks to me like they are all in favor of making the male-only clubs admit women, but preserve the women-only spaces for themselves.

As an aside, the articles go even further than the often-debunked, but never discarded 1 in 5 or 1 in 4 women at a college campus will be sexually assaulted (i.e., even higher than the worst parts of Detroit) to say that 47% of women coming into contact with the male-only clubs will have an unwanted sexual encounter or similar language.

It seems to me that the *last* thing you would want to do is get women into those clubs. Jesus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 13, 2016 1:24 am

Ben Trovado wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

I may be reading too much into other news reports, but I keep seeing policy statements from the protesters : "“We want the College to return to the drawing board and create policy that acknowledges the necessity of women’s spaces on campus,” the Crimson Women’s Coalition wrote in a statement notifying journalists of the rally."

Like that. They do not demand that the policy be rescinded, or that things go back to where they were before. Instead, they argue for putting a new policy in place, as long as the new policy protect women's spaces on campus.

I have seen a few similar quotes. Again, maybe I am reading too much into it, but it looks to me like they are all in favor of making the male-only clubs admit women, but preserve the women-only spaces for themselves.

As an aside, the articles go even further than the often-debunked, but never discarded 1 in 5 or 1 in 4 women at a college campus will be sexually assaulted (i.e., even higher than the worst parts of Detroit) to say that 47% of women coming into contact with the male-only clubs will have an unwanted sexual encounter or similar language.

It seems to me that the *last* thing you would want to do is get women into those clubs. Jesus.
I see that as more of a rhetorical emphasis, but the article I quoted above also contains the following sentence:
The students are also protesting Harvard’s move against all-male final clubs and fraternities.
So at least they seem to recognize that there has to be some sort of nod toward equal treatment for both sexes. They want to keep their "women's spaces" but they recognize that this means you also have to allow men to have their own "spaces".
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:35 am

More general silliness than political correctness per se, but I don't think it deserves its own thread, so here:

College professor goes on hunger strike over tenure denial
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:44 am

Well, this is at least "distinctive."

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!