Is this offensive/racist? A course of study

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Is this offensive/racist? A course of study

Post by ed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:57 am

It is increasingly important for all of us to recognize offensive and/or racist material with nothing more than a glance.

This thread will help us become better people.

Post your examples and explain why they are/are not racist.

If you are a member of the patriarchy, anything you post is, by definition, racist and offensive so please simply engage in self criticism.

I will begin.

Spoiler:
Not offensive. In fact, a paean to blackness.
Detailed exegesis: Armed African Americans are desirable and violence to address grievances against the patriarchy are entirely justified. In addition, dead jews are acceptable in our Brave New World (BNW) under any circumstances.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Is this offensive/racist? A course of study

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 pm

1) Without even clicking, I see by the title it is racist.

"Old Black" anything is an allusion to "Old Black Joe".

Included for historical interest, and acceptable only because it's Robeson and he censored it.

You will also notice that his heart was young and "gay".
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed

Post by ed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Good effort, Abdul. But a fail. In the present case, "Ol Black" is an affermative cry, linked as it is to the redress of grievances.

I suggest you retire to a safe space and consider my words and then, when you have folded your tent, come back and try again.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:32 pm

2) OK I clicked it.

Got to 0:22 (really about 0:02 after the set up noise) before making a judgement.

Too painfully super-lame-o to go any farther.

Of course it's racist. And painfully painfully super-lame-o.
I haven't heard a worse faux-ghetto accent since that incident with Hillary.

It would be an offense even if not racist.

No I don't have to listen to more than the first line.
No it doesn't get better. I just know this.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:39 pm

That was sung by Clarence T. Gitworth, a noted BLACK bluesman. You clearly cannot tell authentic blackness from absurd caricature.

Your lack of racial sensitivity is really appalling. I think that you are going to have to go to the Evergreen Reeducation Camp.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 pm

250px-UpgradedStickFarket.png
Well? Want to try again Abdul?
Spoiler:
Racist and offensive.

1. A club that was used by Lester Maddox to whup black ass
2. It symbolizes the Clubs that white patriarchs refused to let brothers enter except as servants
3. It is a piece of a hanging tree that symbolizes lynching
Pieces of wood in any form should be outlawed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Sorry ed.

Time for a different schtick.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:32 pm
2) OK I clicked it.

Got to 0:22 (really about 0:02 after the set up noise) before making a judgement.

Too painfully super-lame-o to go any farther.

Of course it's racist. And painfully painfully super-lame-o.
I haven't heard a worse faux-ghetto accent since that incident with Hillary.

It would be an offense even if not racist.

No I don't have to listen to more than the first line.
No it doesn't get better. I just know this.
Agreed!

If one produces something of this caliber, the only way to make it fly is to do it really well, and this thing is anything but well done.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Way back when, I was at a meeting. Two very overweight people were joking around with each other about their weights. Another person, who wasn't overweight, came over and started to make similar wisecracks about their weights. They asked him to stop because they found it to be offensive. He asked "Why? You've been saying the same thing!" Answer? "Because we have experienced this condition and you haven't. You don't get to make jokes at our expense. We do."

For similar reasons, that is why white people don't get to joke about the black experience.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 pm

You can rag on your own, but never the other guys.

But that is nonsense.

Anyone can make a joke about anyone else, it's just a fucking joke and to hell with those who have thin skin. They can run to WC's Mommy for comfort.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Meritocracy is racist, says professor.

http://ed-osprey.gsu.edu/ojs/index.php/ ... ew/324/222

Not it's not, says the dictionary. In fact it is the opposite of racist.

She also says "colorblindness" is racist. :shock:

"War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength."

The book 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Lynchings and many decades of oppression may have tended to affect the situation.

I think it's ridiculous when white people can't understand why it's unacceptable for them to use certain words when referring to black people.

I'm not going to tell black people how they should feel about it.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm
Lynchings and many decades of oppression may have tended to affect the situation.

I think it's ridiculous when white people can't understand why it's unacceptable for them to use certain words when referring to black people.

I agree.

I have actively made those same points in face-to-face conversations with certain people who insist they should be able to use whatever labels they like with impunity.

Sidebar: Given that your post immediately follows mine, would you please clarify whether your observations were in response to my post (which does not in any way discuss words that refer to black people, or any other race), or whether you were responding to something else?

ed

Post by ed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:25 am

Should such words have legal penalties associated with them?

I have spent my life being taught that freedom of expression was a basic human right. And that meritocracies were good and that one should be colorblind. Those things are as much my experience as oppression etc is part of a black persons life. (I take issue with that contention btw). But that being the case, my offense at having some cloistered academic disagree to my face is just as real and palpable as any other "offended" person's.

But speech is sacred and I suck it up and fuck anyone who can't.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:42 am

xouper wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:55 pm
Pyrrho wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm

I agree.

I have actively made those same points in face-to-face conversations with certain people who insist they should be able to use whatever labels they like with impunity.

Sidebar: Given that your post immediately follows mine, would you please clarify whether your observations were in response to my post (which does not in any way discuss words that refer to black people, or any other race), or whether you were responding to something else?
I was responding in general, not specifically to your post, which raises valid questions relating to freedom of speech.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 am

ed wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:25 am

I have spent my life being taught that freedom of expression was a basic human right. And that meritocracies were good and that one should be colorblind. Those things are as much my experience as oppression etc is part of a black persons life. (I take issue with that contention btw). But that being the case, my offense at having some cloistered academic disagree to my face is just as real and palpable as any other "offended" person's.

No, such words should not have legal penalties associated with them.

To rephrase a bit: I think that white people are being a bit ridiculous if they are dismayed by the reaction they get when they use certain words when referring to black people. Any expectation of social consequence-free use of language that derives from a history of abusive use against other people is immature and unrealistic. White people should not expect that they should be able to speak and/or behave in ways that have racist meanings without any objections from the target of that racism, and vice-versa. Nor should they expect to be able to use such words without social consequence even if black people use them to address each other. Their experience and history has been rather dismal in this country. Thus, my previous example of the people who could joke at each other, but did not like the wisecracks from the third guy who did not have their same life experience.

And no, I do not expect to receive a pony. Just my opinion, which is worth approximately $0.02, American.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 am
To rephrase a bit: I think that white people are being a bit ridiculous if they are dismayed by the reaction they get when they use certain words when referring to black people. Any expectation of social consequence-free use of language that derives from a history of abusive use against other people is immature and unrealistic. White people should not expect that they should be able to speak and/or behave in ways that have racist meanings without any objections from the target of that racism, and vice-versa.
That's pretty much how I interpreted your original comment. So it's good to get confirmation I'm not a total dumbass. :notsure:

Counter example:
Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:42 am
xouper wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:55 pm
I was responding in general, not specifically to your post, which raises valid questions relating to freedom of speech.
I don't know where you are going with your comment about freedom of speech.
In other words, I still have an occasional dumbass moment. :shock:

The point of my post was in keeping with the general theme of the opening post, by giving an example of something that is clearly not racist, but that was absurdly characterized as racist, and free speech does not seem relevant to that point. That does not mean your point is not valid, it merely means, I don't what your point is. :oops:

ed

Post by ed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:26 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 am
ed wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:25 am

No, such words should not have legal penalties associated with them.

To rephrase a bit: I think that white people are being a bit ridiculous if they are dismayed by the reaction they get when they use certain words when referring to black people. Any expectation of social consequence-free use of language that derives from a history of abusive use against other people is immature and unrealistic. White people should not expect that they should be able to speak and/or behave in ways that have racist meanings without any objections from the target of that racism, and vice-versa. Nor should they expect to be able to use such words without social consequence even if black people use them to address each other. Their experience and history has been rather dismal in this country. Thus, my previous example of the people who could joke at each other, but did not like the wisecracks from the third guy who did not have their same life experience.

And no, I do not expect to receive a pony. Just my opinion, which is worth approximately $0.02, American.

Would you agree that I can feel every bit as offended by having my basic beliefs summarily dismissed as some other person responding to an assault on their personal experience?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:01 pm

You are free to feel any way you like about anything.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Excellent. Not all would agree with that.