United States Postal Service: What to do?

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: United States Postal Service: What to do?

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Six former and current postal workers, part of a group called Communities and Postal Workers United, are calling the strike “six days starving to save six-day delivery.” Their goal is to stop Congress from reducing postal delivery to five days a week.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ivery-cuts

Six, six, six

:o

“We have to be on guard, to raise awareness and pressure the decision-makers as they wrangle back-room deals,” group spokesman Jamie Partridge, a retired letter carrier from Portland, said in a statement.

Is Jamie the antichrist?

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm

AP) – The US Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion, the financially struggling agency says. In an announcement scheduled for later today, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August. The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points—package delivery has increased by 14% since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet use.

Under the new plan, mail would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays, and offices now open on Saturdays would remain open. Over the past several years, the Postal Service has advocated shifting to a five-day delivery schedule for mail and packages—and it repeatedly but unsuccessfully appealed to Congress to approve the move. It's unclear if the USPS can push the move through without congressional approval. Postal Service research has indicated that nearly seven in 10 Americans support the switch to five-day delivery.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm still pondering Church Of Grayman.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Latest innovation.

Rep. Darrell Issa says he has a potential solution to the Postal Service's money problem: Mail carriers could stop delivering your items right to your door. The House Oversight Committee is poised to vote on the proposal—potentially affecting 37 million homes and businesses—today. It could cut costs by some $4.5 billion annually, USA Today reports. Door-to-door delivery costs about $353 per stop each year, while curbside delivery clocks in at $224 and neighborhood cluster boxes at $160, according to the Postmaster General.

"A balanced approach to saving the Postal Service means allowing USPS to adapt to America's changing use of mail,'' Issa says. "Done right, these reforms can improve the customer experience through a more efficient Postal Service." In fact, some new housing developments are already set to see the cluster-box approach, CNNMoney notes.

a few decades ago I owned a townhouse with a cluster box. The box served about 25 units. The only issue with them was that they were so small that if you went a few days without pick-up, you'd get a note from the postman to come to the post office to pick up the overflow.

It's not a terrible idea for dense neighborhoods. To be effective in my neighborhood I'd my wife would have to practically drive to the box.

But unions are less than thrilled: "The idea that somebody is going to walk down to their mailbox in Buffalo, New York, in the winter snow to get their mail is just crazy," says a rep for the National Association of Letter Carriers.

Well of course they are less than thrilled. That's their job: be less than thrilled. The rep is right though. A lot of wives are going to be pissed.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:58 pm

So it has been almost a year since the price hike was proposed. It is now approved. Not to 50c but to 49c. Not permanent (officially) but for a period of two years (its permanent).

That's part of the problem. A fucking year to implement a price hike.

Let's break this down.

Postal regulators on Tuesday approved a price hike of 3 cents for a first-class stamp, bringing the charge to 49 cents a letter.

The independent Postal Regulatory Commission said the change was justified by severe mail volume decreases since 2008.

The new price is effective Jan. 26 and will last no more than two years, allowing the Postal Service to recoup $2.8 billion in losses.

Regulators rejected a request to make the price hike permanent.

Bulk mail, periodicals and package service rates rise 6 percent.

The mail industry opposes the price increases. It says charities using mass mailings and bookstores competing with Amazon will suffer.

The Postal Service says it lost $5 billion in the last fiscal year.
http://www.newser.com/article/1d60c9764 ... an-26.html

:|

So clearly the 3 cent and 6% increases are not going to solve the problem by much more than half (I did the math, faggot). Putting aside the impact on demand, something's gotta give still. And within two years (yea, right).

Of course, reducing deliveries from 6 to 3 days a week only means reducing staffing by less than a third (guessing) since not every postal employee delivers mail and since each mailman would have twice the stuff to deliver. Is that enough to make up a $5B shortfall?

I don't think there is much room for an improvement in process. The cuts have to come from paychecks.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Since when has a postal increase--or any increase--not been permanent?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Number of packages mailed spikes just before Christmas!
Therefore the large-scale downswing isn't really true!

Hey, it works on some of you for climate, so what the hey.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:57 am

Rob Lister wrote:So it has been almost a year since the price hike was proposed. It is now approved. Not to 50c but to 49c. Not permanent (officially) but for a period of two years (its permanent).

That's part of the problem. A fucking year to implement a price hike.

Let's break this down.

Postal regulators on Tuesday approved a price hike of 3 cents for a first-class stamp, bringing the charge to 49 cents a letter.

The independent Postal Regulatory Commission said the change was justified by severe mail volume decreases since 2008.

The new price is effective Jan. 26 and will last no more than two years, allowing the Postal Service to recoup $2.8 billion in losses.

Regulators rejected a request to make the price hike permanent.

Bulk mail, periodicals and package service rates rise 6 percent.

The mail industry opposes the price increases. It says charities using mass mailings and bookstores competing with Amazon will suffer.

The Postal Service says it lost $5 billion in the last fiscal year.
http://www.newser.com/article/1d60c9764 ... an-26.html

:|

So clearly the 3 cent and 6% increases are not going to solve the problem by much more than half (I did the math, faggot). Putting aside the impact on demand, something's gotta give still. And within two years (yea, right).

Of course, reducing deliveries from 6 to 3 days a week only means reducing staffing by less than a third (guessing) since not every postal employee delivers mail and since each mailman would have twice the stuff to deliver. Is that enough to make up a $5B shortfall?

I don't think there is much room for an improvement in process. The cuts have to come from paychecks.

Maybe it's just because I only send a few letters a year, but if raising it by 6 or 8 cents would balance the books why not let them do that? For me that would only be a few extra pennies a year. I wouldn't even notice.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:21 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Maybe it's just because I only send a few letters a year, but if raising it by 6 or 8 cents would balance the books why not let them do that? For me that would only be a few extra pennies a year. I wouldn't even notice.

I wouldn't notice either. I can't remember the last time I got a real personal letter.

But I get statements and bills still. Every increase in price is an increase in incentive to use other means. Even a penny.

Businesses that spend a million+ dollars a year mailing statements to customers invest a little more in getting customers to accept electronic statements.

Businesses that send fliers find that the hike is less than what it costs to hire someone to walk door to door.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:56 am

So the price hike was such a raging success that ...

Mail and milk: Struggling Postal Service wants to deliver groceries

After nearly six years of multibillion-dollar losses, the U.S. Postal Service has developed a new plan to help turn its finances around: Daily grocery deliveries.

The Postal Service sent its proposal to the Postal Regulatory Commission on Tuesday, seeking approval from the panel. The agency wants to begin testing on Oct. 24, with the process lasting up to two years, although it could choose to make the program permanent at a sooner date.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fed ... groceries/

It really isn't a terrible idea except ... no it's a terrible idea.

Under the plan, USPS would work with retail partners to deliver “groceries and other prepackaged goods” to homes between 3 a.m. and 7 a.m. at locations designated by consumers. Participating grocery stores would have to drop off their orders at post offices between 1:30 a.m. and 2:30 a.m.

I think I'm hung up on the 'grocery' aspect of this. There is a market for local overnight delivery of goods. Brick and mortars would benefit greatly. If I need a ream of paper or toner, then I place an order at Office Max and it shows up on my porch the next day. I would pay a buck or two for that, but not more.

But to charge only a buck or two, they'd have to deliver it in the regular rounds, not make a special trip.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Five day delivery to begin in August of this year.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said she was disappointed, questioned the savings estimate and worried the loss of Saturday service might drive customers away.

"The Postal Service is the linchpin of a $1 trillion mailing and mail-related industry that employs more than 8 million Americans in fields as diverse as direct mail, printing, catalog companies, magazine and newspaper publishing and paper manufacturing," she said. "A healthy Postal Service is not just important to postal customers but also to our national economy."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0 ... 29373.html

So the Postal Service is important to those still making buggy whips? Go figger. Congress is against dropping Saturday deliver so technically the USPS still has to do it, but they can decide what it is they will deliver; that is a pretty neat trick. So they will only deliver packages, not letters, bill, or junk.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:08 pm

All meaningful technological progress makes some kind of work obsolete. Focusing on "lost jobs" is one way to think about it, but not the most enlightened way. Unfortunately you cannot just make coal miners into nurses because demand for health care is rising and demand for coal is falling. Some of the people who lose their jobs will be able to find other work, but changing to a whole new industry means you have to start at the bottom again: entry level. It sucks if you are middle-aged and set in your ways, but that's life I guess. I agree that these things look more and more like buggy whips. Ultimately there's no way to save these jobs, and it's probably counterproductive to even try.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Anaxagoras wrote: I agree that these things look more and more like buggy whips. Ultimately there's no way to save these jobs, and it's probably counterproductive to even try.

The cost of postage and complexity for junk mail is already such that companies are sending minimum wage (or less) slackers door-to-door to pass out fliers.

In a typically dense urban neighborhood (such as mine), a walker can pass out one flier per minute, or 60 an hour. That works out to $0.12 per flier assuming a minimum wage ($7.25) employee. That's the unloaded cost, of course. The loaded cost is probably $10.00, which works out to $0.16 a flier.

Minimum bulk rate mail is $0.21 per piece. That cost is also unloaded since you have to pay for the envelope and addressing in addition to the flier and -- AND -- it is more likely to go straight to the trash without even being glanced at; you're pretty much forced to at least glance at fliers.

So, the job is still there, albeit at a [much, much] lower wage. The paper usage is still there, albeit cut roughly in half.

BTW, why does the good Senator hate trees?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:05 pm

They cause pollution, Listy.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:06 am

Doctor X wrote:They cause pollution, Listy.

--J.D.

Well, some do.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:00 am

So they are talking about you behind your back?

--J.D.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 am

gnome wrote:Wait... what does that retirement health fund payments thing mean?

Does it mean that their pension fund monies are not 100% set aside for them, and depend upon ongoing solvency?

Where I come from, raiding the retirement fund is called "embezzlement". Underfunding future funds, maybe not--though that could create nightmares for tax accountants.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Things are bad enough in Finland that the state-owned Posti is getting into ... lawn care. Under the new program, which begins next month, postal workers will mow residents' lawns each Tuesday, when mail volumes are typically lower, broadcaster Yle reports. Interested Finns can go online to order the service, which will run from May 17 through August. A weekly 30-minute cut will cost about $74 a month, and homeowners must provide the mower.

$74 a month is 4 cuts at $18.50 ea. Not a terrible deal.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey! Trump made me bump this. Ain't my fault ...

“Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer? Should be charging MUCH MORE!” President Trump tweeted Friday. While attacking Amazon—and founder Jeff Bezos—is nothing new for Trump, it's unclear why he dragged the US Postal Service into it, the Washington Post reports. A Citigroup report recently concluded that USPS loses about $1.46 on every Amazon shipment it delivers. Amazon denied that report at the time, stating its "contracts with the USPS are profitable." According to USA Today, Trump's tweet sent Amazon stock fractionally lower Friday afternoon.

Okay. Good Tweet Mr. Trump.

Amazon retorted that their contracts with USPS are 'profitable'. No doubt. But too whom?

Let's delve deep here.

I'll take a stab and say that the USPS is so cheap that both fedex and ups let them deliver the last mile in many cases. Even on Sunday.

Plus, the USPS has a lot of fucking (fucking=fucking fucking fucking) overhead because of their previous dimwit labor negotiations. So any contract they write should cover that. But it doesn't. So here the fuck we are ED.

They have a monopoly on all packages 1 pound or less. Whatever they charge for that, others must follow suit. If you send a letter via UPS or FEDEX, whether it is overnight, 2nd day, ground, they cannot charge less than a package the USPS would send the same way. So long as it is 1 pound or less.

Isn't the correct response to increase that weight? It takes congressional approval. Every congress critter gets money from Amazon.

Interesting.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 am

The Post Office's deal with Amazon is profitable to the Post Office.

Deals like that, and also junk mail are profitable.

But there can never be enough of those to make the Post Office as a whole profitable, what with the legal mandate to deliver first class mail anywhere in the country. Which benefits "business in general", but I wouldn't call that a subsidy exactly.

Synopsis: Sure there are problems with the Post Office, but Trump is full of shit.

Short history: The Post Office was originally instituted (and designed by Ben Franklin) so that there would always be relays of horsemen on hand in case of strategic necessity. The Post Office was a presidential cabinet department rather than a regulated monopoly as now. It never turned a profit until the early 20th century, and that by accident due to unplanned business conditions happening to break that way. It was Nixon who spun it off from being a cabinet department.

So maybe it's outmoded and should be eliminated?

Yeah. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”