United States Postal Service: What to do?

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: United States Postal Service: What to do?

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The Post Office's deal with Amazon is profitable to the Post Office.

Deals like that, and also junk mail are profitable.

Profitable to whom. According to the article (and I don't claim that is perfect) it is not. Not by $1.46 or so Do you have better evidence?

blah, blah blah

Ah. Cool.

Short history: Blah, blah, blah

Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks!

So maybe it's outmoded and should be eliminated?

No. That's just dumb. See the previous 9 pages. 2 of which are suppressed by the FEDEX/UPS union.

In the end it is like roads. We need a common delivery service. Please stop fucking with me. You know this. If you want, sparks can explain it to you. :)
Last edited by Rob Lister on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:10 am

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:12 am

Mail is the coolest goddamn mutherfucking thing we ever invented.

There. I said it.

Better than the internet or toast.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 am

:roll:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:29 am

Rob Lister wrote:Mail is the coolest goddamn mutherfucking thing we ever invented.

There. I said it.

Better than the internet or toast.

Wrong thread.
- new minimalist ethos -

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 am

Rob Lister wrote:Mail is the coolest goddamn mutherfucking thing we ever invented.
I agree. But people now don't (know how to) write anymore, and e-mails are no substitute.

All I get in my mailbox are bills, junk mail and perhaps a postcard (often a variant of vanity mail, and I'm no big fan of that). :(

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:36 am

Witness wrote:
I agree. But people now don't (know how to) write anymore, and e-mails are no substitute.

All I get in my mailbox are bills, junk mail and perhaps a postcard (often a variant of vanity mail, and I'm no big fan of that). :(

All you lacked was a paragraph or 5 between "I agree"and the rest of the nonsense.

Mail was the internet of the ages. Still is.

They can quadruple the price of everything. I recommend they do. It will be in keeping with the rest of the world.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 am

Rob Lister wrote:Hey! Trump made me bump this. Ain't my fault ...

A Citigroup report recently concluded that USPS loses about $1.46 on every Amazon shipment it delivers. Amazon denied that report at the time, stating its "contracts with the USPS are profitable."

I went looking for more information about this Citigroup report and found this:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/for-e ... le/2632857

I was just wondering how they arrived at the $1.46 figure. They don't really "show the work" though, like a math teacher would want you to show your work to get credit for the problem.

According to something else I found on the internet, Amazon ships 608 million packages each year, so if the USPS loses $1.46 per package that would add up to about $1 billion in losses per year. The USPS is projected to lose $6 billion overall this year.

Since 2007, the Postal Service has been required to allocate 5.5 percent of its fixed costs to package delivery and to incorporate that into its pricing.

Why? Congress forces USPS to operate at a loss? And what exactly are they anyway? Private? Public? Or something in-between like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Does everyone just assume that in the end, Uncle Sam will pay the bills? Is that a reasonable assumption?

That figure made sense then, but today, 25 percent of the Postal Service's business is package delivery. And thanks to features of the Amazon deal – such as Sunday delivery, grocery delivery, even delivery from fish markets to local restaurants – the expenses have climbed.

In fact, they've climbed so much, according to a recent analysis by Citigroup, that the Postal Service should be charging Amazon $1.46 more per package than the $2 or so it does now. "Amazon now enjoys low rates unavailable to its competitors," the Journal story said. "It's as if Amazon gets a subsidized space on every mail truck."

It's not just the free ride in the truck. It's the $200 million three years ago to furnish carriers with 270,000 Internet-connected handheld scanners needed for real-time package tracking. It's the $5 billion or more to replace the Postal Service's 190,000 delivery vehicles with new ones better equipped to handle packages.

The Postal Service has followed this formula to $60 billion in losses since 2007. It expects to lose about $6 billion more this year. But first-class mail volume is down, junk mail is about the same, packages continue to grow 8 percent or so per year, and Postmaster General Megan Brennan's position is that "we're obviously looking to get additional customers who are interested in that type of customized delivery."

Plus, the USPS has a lot of fucking (fucking=fucking fucking fucking) overhead because of their previous dimwit labor negotiations. So any contract they write should cover that. But it doesn't. So here the fuck we are ED.

What incentive do they really have to drive a hard bargain in labor negotiations? Are postal employees allowed to go on strike? Are they unionized?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:21 pm

They are unionized. They went on strike (as separate unions) in 1970. It lasted 8 days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._post ... ke_of_1970
And that was before email!

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”