United States Postal Service: What to do?

We are the Borg.
DrMatt
BANNED

Re: United States Postal Service: What to do?

Postby DrMatt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Okay, but I was talking about the actual spectra of things that, on the face of it, appear to be the same elements. What if, instead of being red-shifted because they're racing away from us, they look red-shifted because back when light left them, those elements just looked like that?

There ought to be a really straightforward calculation to show that this alternative hypothesis doesn't work. So far nobody's suggested one.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

En folkefiende

Postby En folkefiende » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 pm

DrMatt wrote:Okay, but I was talking about the actual spectra of things that, on the face of it, appear to be the same elements. What if, instead of being red-shifted because they're racing away from us, they look red-shifted because back when light left them, those elements just looked like that?

There ought to be a really straightforward calculation to show that this alternative hypothesis doesn't work. So far nobody's suggested one.

Huh? Wrong forum?

Well, there is, if you had different electron levels, the charge on the electron would be different, the fine structure constant would be different, and either everythign would blow up into hydrogen or turn into a massive universe-sized heavy metal atom. Give or take. If the spectrum changed, that would require different orbital energy, which would require different charge value.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm

jj wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Okay, but I was talking about the actual spectra of things that, on the face of it, appear to be the same elements. What if, instead of being red-shifted because they're racing away from us, they look red-shifted because back when light left them, those elements just looked like that?

Huh? Wrong forum?

Ding! I think we have an explanation of some of the replies to missing source messages. Mis-threading of the database, putting replies in arbitrary other threads.

Well, there is, if you had different electron levels, the charge on the electron would be different, the fine structure constant would be different, and either everythign would blow up into hydrogen or turn into a massive universe-sized heavy metal atom. Give or take. If the spectrum changed, that would require different orbital energy, which would require different charge value.

Hm, somewhere short of a universe-sized heavy-metal atom, GR would apply and you'd get a black hole.

Speaking of GR, stuff that's moving very fast relative to us is more massive as observed by us. I'm thinking that in order to explain the fact that such stuff still looks like ordinary matter, there must be a more general conservation law or identity law that provides compensating variations in the forces holding together such an object.

I wonder what forum this message will end up in?
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:38 pm

They should stop delivering on Monday, not Saturday. Saturday is the only day people who work can get to the post office.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Rob Lister wrote:[2. They are, by law, not redundant. UPS and fedex can't do letters (cheaply), and can't even touch your mailbox. But lets kill the law for argument's sake. how long would it take ups/fedex/other to stand up enough trucks and people to touch every house in the US 6 times a week?

By law, private carriers have to charge a minimum of triple what the USPS charges. And the USPS does not deliver to every house. In many rural areas you have to go to the post office to pick up your mail.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:26 pm

DrMatt wrote: Ding! I think we have an explanation of some of the replies to missing source messages. Mis-threading of the database, putting replies in arbitrary other threads.

Alternatively, you fucked up.

Let us think about that for a minute ...

En folkefiende

Postby En folkefiende » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 pm

DrMatt wrote:Speaking of GR, stuff that's moving very fast relative to us is more massive as observed by us. I'm thinking that in order to explain the fact that such stuff still looks like ordinary matter, there must be a more general conservation law or identity law that provides compensating variations in the forces holding together such an object.

Hm? Observed in what frame? That's the key.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:07 am

jj wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Speaking of GR, stuff that's moving very fast relative to us is more massive as observed by us. I'm thinking that in order to explain the fact that such stuff still looks like ordinary matter, there must be a more general conservation law or identity law that provides compensating variations in the forces holding together such an object.

Exactly. I have been searching for a frame in which Hammegk is not a fuckwit (see his own definition), and determined that such a frame of reference is in near-light-speed revolution around a point in the middle of his brain. Relative to the hands that touch his keyboard, it's amazingly dense.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am

WildCat wrote:They should stop delivering on Monday, not Saturday. Saturday is the only day people who work can get to the post office.

You could keep the post office open on Saturday.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:55 pm

DrMatt wrote:
jj wrote:

Exactly. I have been searching for a frame in which Hammegk is not a fuckwit (see his own definition), and determined that such a frame of reference is in near-light-speed revolution around a point in the middle of his brain. Relative to the hands that touch his keyboard, it's amazingly dense.

Have you finished the latest polka you're working on?

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Rob Lister wrote:1. I don't think there service sucks that bad. For the price of a stamp, you can have a letter delivered anywhere in the US in a few days. Packages they suck at. You could wait weeks.

2. They are, by law, not redundant. UPS and fedex can't do letters (cheaply), and can't even touch your mailbox. But lets kill the law for argument's sake. how long would it take ups/fedex/other to stand up enough trucks and people to touch every house in the US 6 times a week?

3. I don't understand 3.

1. I never send letters.

2-3. I would estimate that at least 90% of mail can be classified as 'junk' mail. I have a friend who setup his mail slot to route directly to a recycling bin. Get rid of subsidized mail delivery and the junk will go along with it.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:22 pm

EvilYeti wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:1. I don't think there service sucks that bad. For the price of a stamp, you can have a letter delivered anywhere in the US in a few days. Packages they suck at. You could wait weeks.

2. They are, by law, not redundant. UPS and fedex can't do letters (cheaply), and can't even touch your mailbox. But lets kill the law for argument's sake. how long would it take ups/fedex/other to stand up enough trucks and people to touch every house in the US 6 times a week?

3. I don't understand 3.

1. I never send letters.

2-3. I would estimate that at least 90% of mail can be classified as 'junk' mail. I have a friend who setup his mail slot to route directly to a recycling bin. Get rid of subsidized mail delivery and the junk will go along with it.

1. It ain't just about you, but even so, you still 'get' letters, right?

2-3. 90% is a bit high but the real % is certainly not an insignificant fraction. Your solution to do away with bulk-rate (I guess that's what you mean) doesn't solve their problem and would actually make it much worse. Since the bulk-rate distribution doesn't require much if any back-end processing (sorting/moving), and since most of the front-end is already dedicated (delivering 1st Class mail), bulk rate is a money maker.

I think (don't know for sure) that they can raise the rate of bulk-rate without higher approval. I suspect they've already consulted their S/D figures and that the price set now is the maximum return.

En folkefiende

Postby En folkefiende » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Rob Lister wrote:2-3. 90% is a bit high but the real % is certainly not an insignificant fraction.

It's anecdotal measurement but I counted the 3 piles we made of last week's mail. The piles are 'periodicals', 'meaningful stuff', and 'spam'. We had over 150 (I stopped there) articles in 'spam', 13 periodicals, and 21 'meaningful stuff'.

And I didn't stop near the bottom of the spam pile, either.I gave up and pitched the lot into the recycle.

Note: unwanted credit offers go in "meaningful stuff" so they get shredded, ditto any kind of financial crappola we don't want. "spam" includes "wantchermoney" from things like the "kill a commie for mommie foundation" (Ok, I made that one up), offers for makeup, real estate agent stuff, coupons for stuff we don't want, buy a new sewing machine, buy more yarn, buy more speakers, buy monster cable (snort!), "buy a new car" ads, and the usual run of the mill nonsense.

Periodicals are things like SciAm, Newsleak (sorry, FIL buys it for us), Nat Geo, Knitting mags, and IEEE Journals.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Save the makeup. Hammegk will wear it for you.

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:03 pm

Rob Lister wrote:1. It ain't just about you, but even so, you still 'get' letters, right?

2-3. 90% is a bit high but the real % is certainly not an insignificant fraction. Your solution to do away with bulk-rate (I guess that's what you mean) doesn't solve their problem and would actually make it much worse. Since the bulk-rate distribution doesn't require much if any back-end processing (sorting/moving), and since most of the front-end is already dedicated (delivering 1st Class mail), bulk rate is a money maker.

I think (don't know for sure) that they can raise the rate of bulk-rate without higher approval. I suspect they've already consulted their S/D figures and that the price set now is the maximum return.

1. It's always about me! Haven't you guys figured that out yet?

Anyways, no I really don't get letters other than the bills/financial stuff that I would receive electronically if I could. Like jj mentioned, +90% goes right into the recycle bin. Except for the Arby's coupons. I keep those.

2. Its a money-loser if you count all the wasted capacity, productivity and dead trees that go into stuffing shit I don't want in my mailbox. Look at jj's example, a top scientist spends cycles sorting mail instead of doing more important work. It's simply a waste.

Anyways, here's my solution. Simply enact legislation that allows individual addresses to 'opt-out' of residential USPS mail delivery. In fact, encourage it by offering a tax credit. This would force the laggards to move to e-bills and hey if you really want to send me something, pay through the nose for Fed-Ex if its really worth my time.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:07 pm

EvilYeti wrote:Anyways, here's my solution. Simply enact legislation that allows individual addresses to 'opt-out' of residential USPS mail delivery. In fact, encourage it by offering a tax credit. This would force the laggards to move to e-bills and hey if you really want to send me something, pay through the nose for Fed-Ex if its really worth my time.

Careful...

[youtube]Hox-ni8geIw[/youtube]

And if you insist on this...

[youtube]6nKlzQo3Wqo[/youtube]

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
WildCat wrote:They should stop delivering on Monday, not Saturday. Saturday is the only day people who work can get to the post office.

Oh, your child-like naivete is so refreshing.

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:23 pm

And another thing. Roads. Who needs 'em? Any place you can go on a road that's worth going, you can go via webcam.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:24 pm

WildCat wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

Oh, your child-like naivete is so refreshing.

I call it cynical optimism. :)

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:25 pm

DrMatt wrote:And another thing. Roads. Who needs 'em? Any place you can go on a road that's worth going, you can go via webcam.

I am the occasional google streetview tourist.

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”