Cool astronomy photos

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Cool astronomy photos

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 am

Anaxagoras wrote:The Trump Administration plans to cancel the WFIRST space telescope:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... 2fd48857b0

BTW, the James Webb space telescope, which had been planned to be launched this year, is now scheduled to be launched next year. It's a huge gamble too:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... g-to-fail/

If everything goes right, it will be spectacular. Just hope everything works the way it's supposed to.
The former is probably at least partially due to the latter. The JWST was projected to cost around 3 Billion and here we are looking at the ass end of 9 billion. It's that fucking sunshield that has everybody worried.
https://jwst.nasa.gov/sunshield.html

Impossibly cool materials science going on with that but it is damnably questionable from a risk perspective.

Here's the best 12 minutes you'll have today

A fucking nailbiter.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:12 pm

An angle you don't usually see.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 am

Watch the bottom center-right of the gif

Amateur astronomer Victor Buso was testing his camera-telescope setup in Argentina back in September 2016, pointing his Newtonian telescope at a spiral galaxy called NGC613. He collected light from the galaxy for the next hour and a half, taking short exposures to keep out the Santa Fe city lights. When he looked at his images, he realized he’d captured a potential supernova—an enormous flash of light an energy bursting off of a distant star.
https://gizmodo.com/amateur-astronomer- ... 1823192936

Fid

Post by Fid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Image

An angle you don't usually see.
Is the circular part of the image covering the south pole natural or do certain parties not want us to see Jove's balls?
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I don't know. Doesn't look natural, does it?

It's just a photo I found on reddit, I honestly don't know how it was taken. At first I assumed it was taken from below the South Pole of Jupiter, but looking at it I'm not sure. Could be some sort of manipulation.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:50 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I don't know. Doesn't look natural, does it?

It's just a photo I found on reddit, I honestly don't know how it was taken. At first I assumed it was taken from below the South Pole of Jupiter, but looking at it I'm not sure. Could be some sort of manipulation.
It is, of course, a montage. Given Jupiter's axis of rotation, more or less perpendicular to the ecliptic, the poles are always roughly half in the planet's shadow:

But there is no harm in stitching the "day" parts together (which makes for a splendid pic): the planet rotates in ~ 10 hours (with an equatorial velocity of 45,000 km/h) and the clouds won't change that much. :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 am

A trio of icy moons crowds together along the Cassini spacecraft's line of sight.

Brilliant Enceladus (504 kilometers, or 313 miles across) sits on the planet's shadow-draped limb at center; Pandora (81 kilometers, or 50 miles across at its widest point) is a bright speck hovering near the rings; and Mimas (396 kilometers, or 246 miles across) is seen at lower right.

This view looks toward the sunlit side of the rings from about a degree below the ringplane. The image was taken in visible green light with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on June 28, 2007. The view was obtained at a distance of approximately 291,000 kilometers (181,000 miles) from Enceladus. Scale in the image ranges from 17 kilometers (11 miles) per pixel on Enceladus to 32 kilometers (20 miles) per pixel on Saturn, in the background.
Memento:
Wikipedia wrote:Launched aboard a Titan IVB/Centaur on October 15, 1997, Cassini was active in space for nearly 20 years, with 13 years spent orbiting Saturn, studying the planet and its system after entering orbit on July 1, 2004. The voyage to Saturn included flybys of Venus (April 1998 and July 1999), Earth (August 1999), the asteroid 2685 Masursky, and Jupiter (December 2000). Its mission ended on September 15, 2017, when Cassini's trajectory took it into Saturn's upper atmosphere and it burned up.
:figamagee:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 am

And speaking of Enceladus, scientists have just published a paper regarding the possibility of life on (or more likely in) Enceladus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-02876-y
Biological methane production under putative Enceladus-like conditions

Abstract

The detection of silica-rich dust particles, as an indication for ongoing hydrothermal activity, and the presence of water and organic molecules in the plume of Enceladus, have made Saturn’s icy moon a hot spot in the search for potential extraterrestrial life. Methanogenic archaea are among the organisms that could potentially thrive under the predicted conditions on Enceladus, considering that both molecular hydrogen (H2) and methane (CH4) have been detected in the plume. Here we show that a methanogenic archaeon, Methanothermococcus okinawensis, can produce CH4 under physicochemical conditions extrapolated for Enceladus. Up to 72% carbon dioxide to CH4 conversion is reached at 50 bar in the presence of potential inhibitors. Furthermore, kinetic and thermodynamic computations of low-temperature serpentinization indicate that there may be sufficient H2 gas production to serve as a substrate for CH4 production on Enceladus. We conclude that some of the CH4 detected in the plume of Enceladus might, in principle, be produced by methanogens.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:13 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:37 pm

William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm

I wonder what will happen first: Heat death of the universe, Cleveland wins a Super Bowl, James Webb Telescope is launched and operational.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:18 am

I don't know, but if the sun shield snags when it counts, the whole mission will probably be a failure. There's so many things that have to go right, and if any one of them doesn't work as it's supposed to,
It could doom the mission.
William Shakespeare

Fid

Post by Fid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:16 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I don't know, but if the sun shield snags when it counts, the whole mission will probably be a failure. There's so many things that have to go right, and if any one of them doesn't work as it's supposed to,
It could doom the mission.
Shouldn't be a problem we'll just send that big new rocket to the Lagrange point to fix it, probably with duct tape.

Remember the guys using a come-along to close the doors on the Hubble? :)

But since it'll probably be 20 years before that thing is human rated you're probably right.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 am

APOD wrote:Here comes Jupiter! NASA's robotic spacecraft Juno is continuing on its 53-day, highly-elongated orbits around our Solar System's largest planet. The featured video is from perijove 11, the eleventh time Juno has passed near Jupiter since it arrived in mid-2016. This time-lapse, color-enhanced movie covers about four hours and morphs between 36 JunoCam images. The video begins with Jupiter rising as Juno approaches from the north. As Juno reaches its closest view -- from about 3,500 kilometers over Jupiter's cloud tops -- the spacecraft captures the great planet in tremendous detail. Juno passes light zones and dark belt of clouds that circle the planet, as well as numerous swirling circular storms, many of which are larger than hurricanes on Earth. After the perijove, Jupiter recedes into the distance, now displaying the unusual clouds that appear over Jupiter's south. To get desired science data, Juno swoops so close to Jupiter that its instruments are exposed to very high levels of radiation.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180226.html

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm

William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Grammatron wrote:I wonder what will happen first: Heat death of the universe, Cleveland wins a Super Bowl, James Webb Telescope is launched and operational.
At least the first and the third do not violate the Laws of Physics.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:34 am

Enceladus by Cassini.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 am

This composite image shows the central cyclone at the planet's north pole and the eight cyclones that encircle it. It is based on data collected by the Jovian Infrared Auroral Mapper instrument aboard Juno. (NASA)
This picture of Jupiter's south pole is a mosaic of images taken by NASA's Juno spacecraft. It shows the heat coming out from the planet through the clouds: yellow indicates the presence of thinner clouds and dark red the thicker ones. (NASA)
Deep gas bands, shapely cyclones — NASA's Juno reveals more of Jupiter's secrets
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 am

↑ It's interesting how infrared has to be represented by warm colors, when any color scheme would do.

Same even for radar images of Venus:

Because, Venus is hot, right? :P

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:40 am

Sure, you could choose a different color, but this one looks cool.
William Shakespeare