Cool astronomy photos

We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Cool astronomy photos

Post by Witness » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:18 am

Fid wrote:A repost from some pages back of a heart breakingly beautiful moonrise.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5980370/a-moonr ... -ever-seen
Did you notice that for us "Northern-Hemispherers" this moon is upside down? :mrgreen:

Photography fact: moon surface is in sunlight, so should be exposed the same as terrestrial landscape in sunlight. Save that the moon's material is very dark (3 stops or only 12.5% of terrestrial objects' mean albedo) – roughly like coal.
Doesn't seem that way, uh?

Another: looking at a portrait we get unconscious cues about the distance to the person from the relative sizes of nose/eyes/ears, from the same perspective "distortions" (in fact just geometry) at work in the moon videos. So if you want the spectator to feel (sometimes uncomfortably) "near" the subject, part of the action, use a wide angle; normal, socially acceptable distance, use a normal lens; want that sophisticated model seem far away, unapproachable, go for telephoto. Even if the face is the same size in the final print.

Fid

Post by Fid » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Witness wrote:
Fid wrote:A repost from some pages back of a heart breakingly beautiful moonrise.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5980370/a-moonr ... -ever-seen
Did you notice that for us "Northern-Hemispherers" this moon is upside down? :mrgreen:

Photography fact: moon surface is in sunlight, so should be exposed the same as terrestrial landscape in sunlight. Save that the moon's material is very dark (3 stops or only 12.5% of terrestrial objects' mean albedo) – roughly like coal.
Doesn't seem that way, uh?

Another: looking at a portrait we get unconscious cues about the distance to the person from the relative sizes of nose/eyes/ears, from the same perspective "distortions" (in fact just geometry) at work in the moon videos. So if you want the spectator to feel (sometimes uncomfortably) "near" the subject, part of the action, use a wide angle; normal, socially acceptable distance, use a normal lens; want that sophisticated model seem far away, unapproachable, go for telephoto. Even if the face is the same size in the final print.
Regarding the upside down moon, leave it to the damn Kiwis to damage a perfectly good natural satellite.
Seriously though I hope to visit the southern hemisphere if only to be utterly confused by the night sky.
What with their large and small magical clouds and please a constellation called Crotch really.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Fid wrote: ... leave it to the damn Kiwis to damage a perfectly good natural satellite ...
Fixed. HTH.

Relax. 8)

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:01 pm

No one, and I mean no one rotates except ed AA!!!

You've risked an interphasic rift that could've torn Teh Great Twat a new asshole thereby allowing Teh Cosmic Fucktard to destroy us all.

Now, knock off the horseplay dipshit!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:21 pm

APOD wrote: It looks like a big space diamond -- but with craters. It's 162173 Ryugu (Dragon's Castle), and Japan's robotic Hayabusa2 mission is now arriving at this near-Earth asteroid. Ambitious Hayabusa2 is carrying an armada of separable probes, including two impactors, four small close-proximity hoverers, three small surface hoppers, and the Mobile Asteroid Surface Scout (MASCOT) which will land, study, and move around on Ryugu's surface. Most of these are equipped with cameras. Moreover, Hayabusa2 itself is scheduled to collect surface samples and return these samples to Earth for a detailed analysis near the end of 2020. Previously, what was known about asteroid Ryugu was its orbit, that it spans about one kilometer, and that it has a dark surface that reflects unusual colors. Studying Ryugu could tell humanity not only about Ryugu's surface and interior, but about what materials were available in the early Solar System for the development of life. Pictured, a series of approach images shows features suggestive of large boulders and craters.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180625.html

Let's hope the little thingies will work as projected!

Fid

Post by Fid » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Yeah right,I know a young borg when I see one.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 pm

NASA announced on Wednesday that the James Webb Space Telescope, once scheduled to be launched into orbit around the sun this fall, will take three more years and another billion dollars to complete. A report delivered to NASA by an independent review board estimated that the cost of the troubled Webb telescope would now be $9.66 billion, and that it would not be ready to launch until March 30, 2021.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/scie ... -nasa.html

At some point asking wtf is appropriate. It is impossibly complex. I say just launch the fucker and if it doesn't happen, then everybody on the team is fired for cause.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Damnit.

It does not instill confidence when they are both late and asking for another cool Billion.

Fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:53 am

Windows upgrade. Old software is no longer compatible. :roll:
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 am

↑ Happy taxpayers! :mrgreen:

Update:
Hell Yes, Japan’s Hayabusa2 Spacecraft Has Officially Entered Orbit Around the Ryugu Asteroid

After nearly four years of traveling through space, the Hayabusa2 spacecraft has successfully rendezvoused with the Ryugu asteroid, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency confirmed Wednesday. Let the next stage of this historic sampling-and-return mission begin!

Earlier today, mission controllers at JAXA triggered Hayabusa2’s chemical propulsion thrusters, bringing the spacecraft into orbit around Ryugu, an asteroid that’s just shy of one kilometer (0.6 miles) wide. Confirmation of the rendezvous was made at 9:35 am Japan Standard Time (JST). JAXA says Hayabusa2's thrusters worked normally, and that the spacecraft is maintaining a constant distance from Ryugu.

“From this point, we are planning to conduct exploratory activities in the vicinity of the asteroid, including scientific observation of asteroid Ryugu and surveying the asteroid for sample collection,” explained JAXA in a press release.
https://gizmodo.com/hell-yes-japan-s-ha ... 1827166767

Another update: Rosetta's images are now all online: https://imagearchives.esac.esa.int/inde ... category/1.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:02 am

Rob Lister wrote:
NASA announced on Wednesday that the James Webb Space Telescope, once scheduled to be launched into orbit around the sun this fall, will take three more years and another billion dollars to complete. A report delivered to NASA by an independent review board estimated that the cost of the troubled Webb telescope would now be $9.66 billion, and that it would not be ready to launch until March 30, 2021.

At some point asking wtf is appropriate. It is impossibly complex. I say just launch the fucker and if it doesn't happen, then everybody on the team is fired for cause.
That's sad. Still, I'd rather have one in 3 years that works than an expensive piece of space junk now.

I agree that the complexity is a big worry. Too many things have to go exactly right.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:36 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:59 am

Take a peek: right now Mars is just under the Moon. :)

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:50 am

So am I.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:59 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

That's sad. Still, I'd rather have one in 3 years that works than an expensive piece of space junk now.

I agree that the complexity is a big worry. Too many things have to go exactly right.
At this point it's approaching the total cost of LHC and I am not sure James Webb Space Telescope is more complex than that. It's can't just be complexity, quite a bit of incompetence has to be going on either in execution or planning stages.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:39 am

Unlike the LHC though, they only have one chance to get it right. If a part of the LHC is busted, it can be replaced or repaired. Not so with this telescope (unlike the Hubble which was (is) in an orbit where it could be serviced).
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Unlike the LHC though, they only have one chance to get it right. If a part of the LHC is busted, it can be replaced or repaired. Not so with this telescope (unlike the Hubble which was (is) in an orbit where it could be serviced).
That's true but that alone doesn't explain the run-away budget and production schedule.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:13 am

Has to be on purpose, although he's pretty deadpan about it.
Something absolutely huge slammed into Uranus when it was still young
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:33 am

Honk!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!