Snake oil

We are the Borg.
Witness

Snake oil

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:40 am

PowerMax™ Plus mains cable
The benefit of all this care taken in the manufacture? We believe that the cable represents astonishing value as it helps your system to get the power it needs exactly when it needs it. Expect deeper, more realistic bass, clearer instruments and voices and a smoother sound. We've even seen Home Cinemas benefiting, with pictures appearing sharper and crisper.
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp? ... ZOSRJSTDPN

From £46.75

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Snake oil

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:00 am

I miss jj at times like this.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:58 am

Fools and their money
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:03 am

Seconded Anax.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:07 am

Back in the days when I was running a live music bar, forgetful musicians would often ask to borrow my kettle lead to power their enormously loud amplifiers.

I'd keep a couple in reserve for really forgetful musicians.

They worked just as well as the expensive gear as far as anyone could tell.

*SHRUG*
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:47 am

Thank you, AC, for the "kettle plug" explanation/expression, which I will hoard next to "spurtle". Googling around on the oily snake subject I wondered what that was. I presume it is more British than U$? (Tea & boiling water, &c.)

That kind of technoid woo could be interpreted as:
– a voluntary tax on stupidity;
– collected, XVIIIth century style, by private persons (here the seller of the Miracle Kettle Plug[TM]).
:lol:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:12 am

Yeah, they're commonly known as kettle plugs in Britain as that's where most people are accustomed to seeing them. Exactly the same thing powers my PC, monitor, printer, steam cleaner and HiFi amplifier. They all handle the same amount of power but don't have fancy blue cables at an extra cost of £45.

As Anax says, fools and their money...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:12 am

Other than the subjective claims they make about the sound quality allegedly being improved, I don't see what's so special about the cables. They aren't made of or even plated with a precious metal like gold, silver or platinum:
Its high performance in Hi-Fi and Home Cinema systems is thanks to its large gauge conductors which Kimber Kable have optimised for mains voltages, and the unique UK mains plug and IEC connector we've developed specifically for the cable that feature fully nickel-plated contacts.

We've really gone to town with the plugs; we've worked with a plug manufacturer to nickel plate all the pins in the mains plug and all parts of the IEC plug terminals as part of manufacturing process.

And to top off the high quality cable and plugs, we've perfected a technique of mechanically locking the cable to the plugs
"Fully nickel-plated contacts"? Is there anything unusual about that? Nickel is a fairly cheap industrial metal isn't it?
"mechanically locking the cable to the plugs"? Again, that should be true for all power cables, even the cheap ones.

These seem to be features that are actually commonplace and usually not even worth mentioning as a sales point.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 pm

In the late 70's, we used to refer to those as HP Standards because all of our HP test equipment used those plugs exclusively. We'd have racks with spare dozens hanging. Other manufacturers used a mishmash of different plugs and that was burdensome.

Nickel plated contacts? Pretty much the standard, I thought.

But for sound equipment? Inferior! It would cause a harmonic imbalance resulting in 'tinny' basses and flimsy mids. Rhodium is the plating of choice. :)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:52 pm

You're full of shit, Lister.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:22 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:You're full of shit, Lister.
Ya think?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:30 pm

What makes the music sound better?

No not rhodium plating ...

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:59 pm

This shit has gone on with HDTVs for a while, particularly with the Monster cable brand.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Tiosylanyl wrote:This shit has gone on with HDTVs for a while, particularly with the Monster cable brand.
I forgot the brand but I got a set of two 10-foot hdmi cables from k-mart for $15. I still felt used.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Tiosylanyl wrote:This shit has gone on with HDTVs for a while, particularly with the Monster cable brand.
I forgot the brand but I got a set of two 10-foot hdmi cables from k-mart for $15. I still felt used.
Monoprice has the best HDMI cables for your money as far as I'm concerned.

silverdrake
Title: Girlie Girl

Post by silverdrake » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 pm

My Monster cables are gold-plated.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:51 pm

silverdrake wrote:My Monster cables are gold-plated.
I have a set of gold plated carbide tipped jewelers screwdrivers in a mahogany case.

My 'boyz in shop' gave them to me when I retired.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 am

We already surmised you are a luxury creature… :lol:

That being said, nickel isen't particularly good at conducting electricity – but certainly cheaper than gold, even in micron thickness.
And _that_ being said, the HiFi folks are sometimes a bit strange about their hobby/interest/obsession. Many years ago I knew some of them (that's why the expensive kettle plug drew my attention, reminiscence of technoid slang). One was a very competent sales & repair man of sound exotica, so he had to know the techspeak – and that's why I'm very nicely equipped with unimpressive-looking gear which has served me literally forever. Another had the intelligence to stop the craving for ever-"better" gear when… he seemed to notice a difference in sound quality when he changed the orientation of the plug in the wall socket. (That was before everything was grounded; I hope I don't misuse the technical terms, please correct me if it's the case.)

So, placebo effect, expensive blue cable and the sound gets better…

silverdrake
Title: Girlie Girl

Post by silverdrake » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:41 am

Witness wrote:
We already surmised you are a luxury creature… :lol:

That being said, nickel isen't particularly good at conducting electricity – but certainly cheaper than gold, even in micron thickness.
And _that_ being said, the HiFi folks are sometimes a bit strange about their hobby/interest/obsession. Many years ago I knew some of them (that's why the expensive kettle plug drew my attention, reminiscence of technoid slang). One was a very competent sales & repair man of sound exotica, so he had to know the techspeak – and that's why I'm very nicely equipped with unimpressive-looking gear which has served me literally forever. Another had the intelligence to stop the craving for ever-"better" gear when… he seemed to notice a difference in sound quality when he changed the orientation of the plug in the wall socket. (That was before everything was grounded; I hope I don't misuse the technical terms, please correct me if it's the case.)

So, placebo effect, expensive blue cable and the sound gets better…

What can I say, us gals like our sparkly gold things. :D

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I notice an improvement in sound quality when we turn off the @#$@ Dance Fever radio station and pop in one of my Mahler symphony CDs. :p

If nobody ever puts their hands up in the air saying ayy-oh ever again, it'll be fine by me.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.