Humans Need Not Apply

We are the Borg.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 am

Once again Microsoft achieves something others did thirty years ago.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 am

On april 7th, 2017, I made a request of a french ID card. All the papers asked for the card were legal and authentic, the demand was accepted and I have now my new French ID card.

The photo I submitted for this request is actually a 3D model created on a computer, by means of several different software and techniques used for special effects in movies and in the video game industry. It is a digital image, where the body is absent, the result of an artificial process.

The image corresponds to the official demands for an ID: it is resembling, is recent, and answers all the criteria of framing, light, bottom and contrasts to be observed.

The document validating my french identity in the most official way thus presents today an image of me which is practically virtual, a version of video game, fiction.

http://www.raphaelfabre.com/#cni

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

If it really looks like him, so what?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 am

If this were the picture, it would be real news. :BigGrin3:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Farmers Are Replacing Migrant Workers With Robots

Harvesting Washington state's vast fruit orchards each year requires thousands of farmworkers, and many of them work illegally in the United States.

That system eventually could change dramatically as at least two companies are rushing to get robotic fruit-picking machines to market.

The robotic pickers don't get tired and can work 24 hours a day.

"Human pickers are getting scarce," said Gad Kober, a co-founder of Israel-based FFRobotics. "Young people do not want to work in farms, and elderly pickers are slowly retiring."

FFRobotics and Abundant Robotics, of Hayward, California, are racing to get their mechanical pickers to market within the next couple of years.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... rs-robots/

Highly-Automated Austrian Steel Mill Only Needs 14 People

Like the coal industry, the steel industry has gone through rapid changes over the last ten years. While there's no doubt steel will continue to be a crucial part of many people's daily lives, the question remains if any of those people will be involved in making that steel. Bloomberg takes a look at the Austrian steel industry, including a plant that needs just 14 employees to make 500,000 tons of robust steel wire a year.

The village of Leoben has long been an industrial suburb to the nearby Vienna, smelting iron has been in the region since the 1400s. A new mill from the German manufacturer Voestalpine is called "Voestalpine Stahl Donawitz" in honor of an earlier community in the area that merged into Leoben in the 1930's. The mill is big, with a 2,297-foot production line. But, as Bloomberg notes, there's barely anybody there. At most, there are three technicians monitoring the output on flatscreens.

Former lineworkers, the three technicians spent three months studying for their new roles at the plant, learning about control systems and how to interpret the rush of data they receive in their "pulpit," as it is called, above the grounds. The other 11 employees maintain equipment or retool the plant for various wire gauges.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... automated/

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 pm

That's very cool!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:42 am

Can semi-humans apply?

[youtube][/youtube]

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am

Witness wrote:Can semi-humans apply?

[youtube]
Moties!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:59 pm

I think the Borg probably have a better union than bots.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 am

Another "digital house":

[youtube][/youtube]

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 pm

The idea is trickling down through the culture.

Official press release by The Salvation Army.

STATEMENT: Impact of availability of 'sexbots' on the demand for victims of sexual exploitation

Synopsis: The availability of sexbots will somehow fuel the demand for sex trafficking (of humans) by competing with it.

Analysis: The issue has reached the point where The Salvation Army needs to have a position on it, and they couldn't very well be in favor of sexbots could they? So the precise reason for being against it does not matter.

Meta-Analysis: I will be very surprised if sexbots ever compete directly with human trafficking. It's really a different market segment.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am

Grammatron wrote:
No fucking way. But if way, cool.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 am

This is a ways off, but I like the idea:

Could a Robot Be President?
Yes, it sounds nuts. But some techno-optimists really believe a computer could make better decisions for the country—without the drama and shortsightedness we accept from our human leaders.

By Michael Linhorst

July 08, 2017
See? Endorsed by techno-optimists. What could possibly go wrong? :wink:
President Donald Trump reportedly spends his nights alone in the White House, watching TV news and yelling at the screen. He wakes up early each morning to watch more television and tweet his anger to the world … or Mika Brzezinski … or CNN. He takes time out of meetings with foreign leaders to brag about his Electoral College win.

That all sounds, at the very least, distracting for a person with the weight of the free world on his shoulders. But if his fury at the Russia scandal and insecurity about his election are stealing time from the important decisions of the presidency, Trump is by no means the first commander in chief whose emotions or personality have gotten in the way of the job. From Warren Harding’s buddies enriching themselves in Teapot Dome to Richard Nixon’s Watergate hubris to Bill Clinton nearly getting kicked out of office because he couldn’t control his base urges, it’s human weakness—jealousy, greed, lust, nepotism—that most often upends presidencies.

Now, a small group of scientists and thinkers believes there could be an alternative, a way to save the president—and the rest of us—from him- or herself. As soon as technology advances far enough, they think we should put a computer in charge of the country. Yes, it sounds nuts. But the idea is that artificial intelligence could make America’s big, complicated decisions better than any person could, without the drama or shortsightedness that we grudgingly accept from our human presidents.

If you’re imagining a Terminator-style machine sitting behind the Resolute desk in the Oval Office, think again. The president would more likely be a computer in a closet somewhere, chugging away at solving our country’s toughest problems. Unlike a human, a robot could take into account vast amounts of data about the possible outcomes of a particular policy. It could foresee pitfalls that would escape a human mind and weigh the options more reliably than any person could—without individual impulses or biases coming into play. We could wind up with an executive branch that works harder, is more efficient and responds better to our needs than any we’ve ever seen.

Now that's not very realistic. I think ultimately we would still want a human to have veto power just in case its algorithm outputs something really bizarre due to some sort of bug perhaps or malware. But what could happen instead is a human president who gets his/her advice from the robot(s). If the robot is smart enough to be president, then surely it is also smart enough to advise a president.

Still, a human president would still be susceptible to politics. What if the computer advises a decision as the most rational course of action, but politically it is not popular with voters who want both lower taxes and free ponies?
There’s not yet a well-defined or cohesive group pushing for a robot in the Oval Office—just a ragtag bunch of experts and theorists who think that futuristic technology will make for better leadership, and ultimately a better country. Mark Waser, for instance, a longtime artificial intelligence researcher who works for a think tank called the Digital Wisdom Institute, says that once we fix some key kinks in artificial intelligence, robots will make much better decisions than humans can. Natasha Vita-More, chairwoman of Humanity+, a nonprofit that “advocates the ethical use of technology to expand human capacities,” expects we’ll have a “posthuman” president someday—a leader who does not have a human body but exists in some other way, such as a human mind uploaded to a computer. Zoltan Istvan, who made a quixotic bid for the presidency last year as a “transhumanist,” with a platform based on a quest for human immortality, is another proponent of the robot presidency—and he really thinks it will happen.

“An A.I. president cannot be bought off by lobbyists,” he says. “It won’t be influenced by money or personal incentives or family incentives. It won’t be able to have the nepotism that we have right now in the White House. These are things that a machine wouldn’t do.”

The idea of a robot ruler has been floating around in science fiction for decades. In 1950, Isaac Asimov’s short story collection I, Robot envisioned a world in which machines appeared to have consciousness and human-level intelligence. They were controlled by the “Three Laws of Robotics.” (First: “A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.”) Super-advanced A.I. machines in Iain Banks’ Culture series act as the government, figuring out how best to organize society and distribute resources. Pop culture—like, more recently, the movie Her—has been hoping for human-like machines for a long time.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
No fucking way. But if way, cool.
I don't really trust the Daily Mail, but I found a link to the accompanying article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ushed.html
This is the moment the makers of a Russian robot claim it saved a girl from being crushed - but is everything as it seems?

Footage from Perm Polytechnic University, in central Russia, shows Promobot - a 'self-teaching' robot - stopping a set of shelves from falling on a little girl after she tried to climb on them.

Oleg Kivokurtsev, one of the creators of the robot, claims his machine carried out the manoeuvre all by itself - but his team have been accused of fakery in the past.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4mOfbjyQR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Yeah, if even the Daily Mail is suspicious I'm not buying it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 am

Evasion noted.

jdReport
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Would the robot president be governed by the Three Laws? 8)

I'm vaguely recalling an Asimov story. Maybe it was president of Earth in that one.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Would the robot president be governed by the Three Laws? 8)

I'm vaguely recalling an Asimov story. Maybe it was president of Earth in that one.
Donno about Asimov but in Star Trek, Kirk killed that computer in The Apple. First aired October 13, 1967.