Humans Need Not Apply

We are the Borg.
Grammatron

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by Grammatron » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:01 pm

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:33 pm

One of the better uses I've seen drones put to.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:37 pm

Remote control piloting or in some sense autonomous?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:44 pm

I've gotta think remote piloting. Once that fire extinguisher is touched off, I'm thinking only a yuman could fly the nozzle back into position.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:15 pm

So humans not obsolete in this particular instance :)

sparks

Post by sparks » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Who knows? The tech is pretty damned good, but I still think someone would have to have eyeballs on it to make it work as advertised.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:31 am

↑ Cool! :)

Longish article from Cincinnati U, two years ago:
Beyond video games: New artificial intelligence beats tactical experts in combat simulation

Artificial intelligence recently won out during simulated aerial combat against U.S. expert tacticians. Importantly, it did so using no more than the processing power available in a tiny, affordable computer (Raspberry Pi) that retails for as little as $35.

[big snip to get to the geeky part]

Programming that's language based, genetic and generational

Most AI programming uses numeric-based control and provides very precise parameters for operations. In other words, there’s not a lot of leeway for any improvement or contextual decision making on the part of the programming.

The AI algorithms that Ernest and his team ultimately developed are language based, with if/then scenarios and rules able to encompass hundreds to thousands of variables. This language-based control or fuzzy logic, while much less about complex mathematics, can be verified and validated.

Another benefit of this linguistic control is the ease in which expert knowledge can be imparted to the system. For instance, Lee worked with Psibernetix to provide tactical and maneuverability advice which was directly plugged in to ALPHA. (That “plugging in” occurs via inputs into a fuzzy logic controller. Those inputs consist of defined terms, e.g., close vs. far in distance to a target; if/then rules related to the terms; and inputs of other rules or specifications.)

Finally, the ALPHA programming is generational. It can be improved from one generation to the next, from one version to the next. In fact, the current version of ALPHA is only that – the current version. Subsequent versions are expected to perform significantly better.

Again, from UC’s Cohen, “In a lot of ways, it’s no different than when air combat began in W.W. I. At first, there were a whole bunch of pilots. Those who survived to the end of the war were the aces. Only in this case, we’re talking about code.”

To reach its current performance level, ALPHA’s training has occurred on a $500 consumer-grade PC. This training process started with numerous and random versions of ALPHA. These automatically generated versions of ALPHA proved themselves against a manually tuned version of ALPHA. The successful strings of code are then “bred” with each other, favoring the stronger, or highest performance versions. In other words, only the best-performing code is used in subsequent generations. Eventually, one version of ALPHA rises to the top in terms of performance, and that’s the one that is utilized.

This is the “genetic” part of the “Genetic Fuzzy Tree” system.

Said Cohen, “All of these aspects are combined, the tree cascade, the language-based programming and the generations. In terms of emulating human reasoning, I feel this is to unmanned aerial vehicles what the IBM/Deep Blue vs. Kasparov was to chess.”
https://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/r ... alpha.html

Watch out for pissed off killer drones… :surrender:

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:20 am

Probably not much AI in it, but here we go:
Chinese factory builds AI sex dolls – in pictures

Amid Beijing’s push to turn the country into an artificial intelligence powerhouse and embed the technology in all facets of life, some Chinese entrepreneurs are taking the expertise to a new frontier: sex dolls

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:39 pm

AI sex dolls?

Is that what men want in an artificial mate? Intelligence?

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:21 am

↑ Well, they have to be able to find the kitchen to make a sammich, no? :P

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 am

AI features on the dolls are still very basic: they can answer questions but cannot hold longer conversations
Doesn't sound the "AI" angle is very impressive. I guess you gotta start somewhere.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:50 am

They have found a way past out defenses. :o

Uptight robots that suddenly beg to stay alive are less likely to be switched off by humans
The Register
People are more likely to comply with a robot's impassioned pleas to keep it switched on when the droid has previously been impersonal, than when it's been overly friendly.

You might think folks would be less willing to pull the plug on a happy chatty bot begging to stay powered up, but you'd be wrong, much to the relief of us cold-hearted cynics. And this is all according to a study recently published in PLOS ONE.

For this investigation, psychology academics in Germany rounded up 85 participants – an admittedly small-ish sample – made up of 29 men and 56 women, with an average age of 22. One at a time, they were introduced to a little desktop-sized humanoid robot called Nao, and were told interacting with the bot would improve its algorithms.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:53 am

Enter the robots: automation fills gaps in east Europe's factories

The unemployment rate in the western Hungarian town of Papa, where Hirtenberger Automotive Safety employs 725 people making products such as seat belt pre-tensioners, was approaching virtually zero. High turnover was already a big problem.

Enter the robots. Hirtenberger has since spent 2.5 million euros automating two production units at the factory to meet surging demand from the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen and Audi. And it’s not alone.

Companies across eastern Europe are ramping up investment in automation to cope with a labor shortage that started after the 2008 financial crisis and after final curbs were lifted in 2011 on worker flows to richer countries in the European Union.

While policymakers and economists in many parts of the world worry about the potential social negatives of robots displacing humans, here automation is a godsend for companies that want to avoid losing market share.

The changes indicate a shift in the labor-intensive model of the former Communist satellite states, which have attracted foreign investment with tax incentives and labor costs that pale in comparison to those in the West.

While companies have jacked up wages significantly, it hasn’t been enough to persuade young people to stay, or to make up for demographic trends that indicate a shrinking, aging population.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-east ... SKBN1FR1ZK

Now that's unexpected. :shock:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:53 am

Hmmm, is it really though?

Me personally I'm looking forward to the day when a robot "takes my job" and most other people's jobs too, and we finally have to figure out how we can have a society where most human workers have been made redundant. Maybe universal income is the solution.

Oh, and just for reference, in low-fertility aging Japan, the unemployment rate is also very low.

Apparently at last count there were about 1.6 job openings for every job applicant. There's more jobs available than people to fill them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... KL03A?il=0
Japan jobless rate rises to 2.4 percent in June

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s jobless rate rose in June while the availability of jobs improved to the highest in more than four decades, figures from the Internal Affairs ministry showed on Tuesday.

The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate rose to 2.4 percent from 2.2 percent in June, and compared with economists’ median forecast of 2.3 percent.

The jobs-to-applicants ratio rose to 1.62 from 1.60 in June to reach the highest since January 1974. The median forecast was for 1.60.
Naturally not all of those jobs are great jobs.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 pm

"Fuck with Prawn!"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks

Post by sparks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Just testing the first generation of fighting robots which will ultimately destroy our crustacean overlords.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am
Witness wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:53 am

Hmmm, is it really though?
It was about Eastern Europe, not Japan.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 pm

sparks wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 pm
Just testing the first generation of fighting robots which will ultimately destroy our crustacean overlords.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!