What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

We are the Borg.
User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
What would the good folks in Nevada get in terms of property taxes on that otherwise undeveloped land? What would they get in Sales Taxes from sales that do not otherwise exist? Tripe.

It appears to me that Nevada's risk amounts to building some roads and accommodating infrastructure. If the Musk venture is successful (and it will be nearly 10 years before we'll know) then the payback is going to be enormous for the good folk in that state (Nyarl notwithstanding :) ).
Well, this is based only on my familiarity with the area (it is being built in the part of Nevada where I live), so I can't back this up with any hard number I will admit, but I don't know how long that land would have remained unused. It's not like its some random patch of desert, its fairly close to Reno and has been slated for SOME sort of industrial development for a while now. Now, is it better to have Tesla pay no property tax or anything for a while and have something big there guaranteed than to wait for some random corporation to move hear and set up shop in that area? I don't know, I don't have access to that kind of info. But that's where the objection comes from, at least partially.

Another part of the objection is the rumors that Tesla had decided on that spot months and months ago, and that our lawmakers basically gave them all these concessions unnecessarily because it was already a done deal whether we gave Tesla what they asked for or not. Again, I don't know how accurate these rumors are (I DO know that construction out there began well before it was announced) but that's another part of the objection.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21197
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1359 times
Been thanked: 1148 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Even if the company doesn't pay taxes, its employees will. The company and its employees will also spend money in the community, boosting the local economy.

I assume the State isn't actually paying for the cost of constructing the factory, is it? Because some cities pay part of the cost for stadiums for sports teams on the theory that it will bring economic development to the area. I think that's a worse economic theory than giving tax breaks for a factory.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 am

Elon gives us a peek inside the partially completed gigafactory.

[youtube][/youtube]

I still don't see how this will significantly lower the end cost for Li batteries. The market was already pretty competitive. I suspect that Musk is betting on some technological breakthroughs.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:22 pm

They have a parking problem

Image

User avatar
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Mentat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Look at all of that unused parking space on top of the building.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 pm

They are hiring like crazy but all the jobs are low paying.

Still, with my company folding in the near future, I may end up working there sooner than later. :oops:
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Mentat wrote:Look at all of that unused parking space on top of the building.
Those are reserved for solar panels. They gave very little thought to parking.

Image
Nyarlathotep wrote:They are hiring like crazy but all the jobs are low paying.

Still, with my company folding in the near future, I may end up working there sooner than later. :oops:
Be sure to take the bus. I hear it's nice!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Bus system around here sucks
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33319
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1683 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Bus system around here sucks
Area 51 people commute just fine.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47574
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 1426 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:57 pm

That's Vegas.

Not even sure there is a bus that get's any closer to it than Reno or Carson. If I worked there, I would likely end up having to park in that vast, vast parking lot
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Mentat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Mentat wrote:Look at all of that unused parking space on top of the building.
Those are reserved for solar panels. They gave very little thought to parking.

Image
Nyarlathotep wrote:They are hiring like crazy but all the jobs are low paying.

Still, with my company folding in the near future, I may end up working there sooner than later. :oops:
Be sure to take the bus. I hear it's nice!
Put the solar cells on the cars and use the cars to power the factory. Cars, with solar cells, parked on the factory. Bye bye ocean.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21197
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1359 times
Been thanked: 1148 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:33 am

Parking should be easy to solve

I can think of two solutions.

First is a multilevel parking garage. Second is another parking lot nearby and busses.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
ceptimus
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by ceptimus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:35 am

The self driving cars powered by batteries made at the factory will provide the solution. Drop you off right at the door and then drive away to park and/or charge themselves. More often they will pick up employees just finishing their shift, drive them home and then pick up the next group of employees about to begin their shifts. A sort of robot taxi service to get you to work and back.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Parking should be easy to solve

... Second is another parking lot nearby and busses.
I think I read that is what they do now.
Spoiler:
Image
ceptimus wrote:The self driving cars powered by batteries made at the factory will provide the solution. Drop you off right at the door and then drive away to park and/or charge themselves.
Baby steps. But yea, I think that will happen for 20% in 20 years.
ceptimus wrote:More often they will pick up employees just finishing their shift, drive them home and then pick up the next group of employees about to begin their shifts. A sort of robot taxi service to get you to work and back.
We call those buses. :)

But no matter where you park or what door you go in I suppose you're going to have a long walk. At 1100 yards long, bring your comfortable shoes. I wonder if they have buses inside.

When I was attached to ships in the navy yards, I routinely walked two or three miles from the parking lots to the brow. They had buses but it was just as quick to walk. A lot of folks would bring bikes in their trunk. I was never that smart.

User avatar
ceptimus
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by ceptimus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:36 pm

I've been to large factories (in the UK) where there are factory-provided bicycles for anyone to use. You just grab the nearest one, ride to near where you want to be and leave it in one of the bike racks there. The bicycles are heavy and have no gears but they're fine for riding at about ten miles per hour along a smooth level factory floor - there are designated cycle lanes painted on the floor to segregate the bikes from the pedestrians and fork-lift trucks, etc. The bikes are painted up in the factory colors, have a big plate welded to the frame with the factory logo painted on it, and a large basket over the front wheel so you can carry your tools or belongings - I suppose that, along with the weight, acts as a deterrent to stop people stealing them.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: What exactly is a 'Gigafactory'

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:02 pm

ceptimus wrote:I've been to large factories (in the UK) where there are factory-provided bicycles for anyone to use. You just grab the nearest one, ride to near where you want to be and leave it in one of the bike racks there. The bicycles are heavy and have no gears but they're fine for riding at about ten miles per hour along a smooth level factory floor - there are designated cycle lanes painted on the floor to segregate the bikes from the pedestrians and fork-lift trucks, etc. The bikes are painted up in the factory colors, have a big plate welded to the frame with the factory logo painted on it, and a large basket over the front wheel so you can carry your tools or belongings - I suppose that, along with the weight, acts as a deterrent to stop people stealing them.
That's a good idea! I was wondering about how many Tesla's the [future] solar panels on the roof could charge if they made that a perk. Back of the snot-rag calculation:

1 Tesla M3 has a 60kwh battery back. Figure the average M3 is already 50% charged. Over an 8 hour workday each car would need a 7.5kWe supply to fully charge. That's roughly 500 square feet of panels (30 standard 250w panels at 18sf/p). The factory roof will have 10 million square feet of panels.

I get 2000 cars it can half-charge over an 8 hour day. Fuck the mid and night shift. If they were worth a shit they'd work days. There's a lot of fudge in that: the panels don't track the sun, they're lose effeciency over time, sometimes it is cloudy, et-fucking-cetra. But then again the average existing 50% charge is probably to low.

Call it 1500 for fucks sake.