Is Chipotle promoting food woo?

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Is Chipotle promoting food woo?

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I neither know nor care what they did. They made good tacos.

Oh, and it appears Chipotles move may be backfiring. I will post examples later if anyone cares, but the food woos are now mad at Chipotle for not going far enough, I.e. By their own admission their beef may still come from Cows fed GMO grain. So the people they were pandering to still aren't happy
Nothing short of pure Breatharianism will make that group happy. And even then someone will bitch sun/air mixture is wrong. This is the same trap McDonalds fell into a decade ago. Once they know you'll bend, they'll break you.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I neither know nor care what they did. They made good tacos.

Oh, and it appears Chipotles move may be backfiring. I will post examples later if anyone cares, but the food woos are now mad at Chipotle for not going far enough, I.e. By their own admission their beef may still come from Cows fed GMO grain. So the people they were pandering to still aren't happy
Nothing short of pure Breatharianism will make that group happy. And even then someone will bitch sun/air mixture is wrong. This is the same trap McDonalds fell into a decade ago. Once they know you'll bend, they'll break you.
You are probably right. I saw a chemtrail whacko complaining that the sun is in the wrong position lately and is the wrong color (seriously) and given the overlap of those groups you are probably exaggerating less than you think you are.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:57 pm

if the sun was red we'd all be superman and not have to eat or shit or anything. That's the problem with everything.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:20 pm

whitefork wrote:if the sun was red we'd all be superman and not have to eat or shit or anything. That's the problem with everything.
Their "evidence" (and I use the term very loosely) was that when people our age were kids, we would always draw the sun as being bright yellow, but if you look up at it now, it's mostly white.

Yes, this is what passes for evidence among these people

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

You are in California and you cannot find a better Mexican eatery than Chipolte?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
gnome wrote:Around here we have a pretty awesome spot called Taco Bus. I think it started as a food truck. Very tasty, not "cheap" but not horribly pricy either.
nameless
"Hair of the Dog"?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
whitefork wrote:if the sun was red we'd all be superman and not have to eat or shit or anything. That's the problem with everything.
Their "evidence" (and I use the term very loosely) was that when people our age were kids, we would always draw the sun as being bright yellow, but if you look up at it now, it's mostly white.

Yes, this is what passes for evidence among these people
:lol:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 pm

ed wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
gnome wrote:Around here we have a pretty awesome spot called Taco Bus. I think it started as a food truck. Very tasty, not "cheap" but not horribly pricy either.
nameless
"Hair of the Dog"?
The Unnamable Taco Truck

(Our ingredient list counts as "Things Man Was Not Meant To Know")

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:14 am

I understand that in many cases food trucks are more reliably inspected than restaurants.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:51 am

once a year: brakes, lights, horn, emission standards, etc.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Doctor X wrote:You are in California and you cannot find a better Mexican eatery than Chipolte?

--J.D.
Or Taco Bell.

It's like these pleebs have never heard of Del Taco.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 pm

I am still trying to figure out who, on this thread, is from California.

Also, Del Taco is probably my favorite fast food pseudo-Mexican joint. Largely because their "Flatbread Taco" is the closest thing I can get to an Indian Taco in any restaurant, anywhere.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:14 pm

I'm not from Cali, but I pretend to know a lot about it on the internet.

One of my guilty pleasures is to get 3 tacos and diet mountain dew from a Del Taco whenever I have to go out West. The meat isn't "meat product" that comes out of a plastic tube, the cheese doesn't resemble plastic, and the sauce is better Taco Hell as well. The shell is actually crunchy.

I really don't eat fast food, but I make an exception for Del Taco. I think 3 tacos and a diet soda is less than 750 cals too so it isn't even that heavy.

If I want "assembly line tex mex" (aka, Chipotle, Moe's Southwest, Qdoba, etc); there's a local joint near my work that actually marinates steak and then slow cooks it for the beef. Juicy tender steak taco. Yum. The same giant scoop they use for burritos they use for tacos, so I get a single taco, much less tortilla, and much lower price.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I am still trying to figure out who, on this thread, is from California.

Also, Del Taco is probably my favorite fast food pseudo-Mexican joint. Largely because their "Flatbread Taco" is the closest thing I can get to an Indian Taco in any restaurant, anywhere.
I'm not from California but I was visiting my parents in California (San Luis Obispo). We did not have a car so our choices were limited to what was within walking distance from the hotel.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:35 am

Just a brief update to this thread:

Since Chipotle decided to go GMO-free, it has had a series of outbreaks of food poisonings.

Going GMO-free likely involved changing suppliers for some ingredients. Coincidence?

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/articl ... 621067.php
About 40 people in the Northwest have gotten E. coli in the outbreak associated with Chipotle. In Washington, the most recent person sickened by E. coli reported eating at Chipotle on Oct. 24.
Seattle attorney Bill Marler, who has filed two lawsuits on behalf of people who have gotten sick in this outbreak, said that just because health department officials haven't found the cause of the outbreak doesn't mean they aren't still blaming Chipotle for making people sick.

Marler said it's obvious that Chipotle has issues with food safety. The company has been named in three high-profile cases in the past few months, and he's tracking another case of E. coli at a Chipotle in Seattle from this summer.

The chain faced a salmonella outbreak linked to tomatoes that sickened dozens of people in Minnesota beginning in August. In California, health workers said norovirus sickened nearly 100 customers and employees at a Chipotle restaurant in Simi Valley in mid-August.

"Clearly this is a Chipotle problem," Marler said.
Of course GMO-free per se doesn't necessarily mean a higher likelihood of E. coli, salmonella or norovirus, but switching to different suppliers might have something to do with it. I'm pretty sure they also use "organic" ingredients where possible. They call it "Food with Integrity". There's a lot of big talk on their page about this philosophy and how they are helping to save the planet, and industrial agriculture is evil (look at the section called "FARMED & DANGEROUS") and all that. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that a chain with such a superior attitude about their food ingredients would be having such issues.
William Shakespeare

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:02 am

There must be some really dodgy practices out there. These diseases used to be almost exclusively associated with undercooked animal products, like raw eggs.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 am

Yeah last time I ate at a "Mexican" restaurant I'm pretty sure I got the bilious fever or something.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Rob Lister wrote:... and a good supply of dogs with no collars.

fify
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Chipotle's health headaches are growing: About 80 students from Boston College who ate at a local restaurant over the weekend have gotten sick, reports the AP. That total, which includes members of the men's basketball team, more than doubled from Monday's estimate. However, unlike an E. coli outbreak linked to Chipotle that has sickened more than 50 people in nine states, this appears to be something more ordinary—a norovirus. The best guess is that an employee was sick while working on Thursday, say city health officials. Test results on the students won't be out for a few days, and the store remains closed in the meantime as it gets disinfected. The bleak health news is taking a toll on the company's shares, notes Reuters.
http://www.newser.com/story/217237/80-b ... potle.html

Avoid healthy food. It can kill you.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Norovirus. That may not actually be the company's fault. One sick employee can do that. When I was visiting my parents a couple weeks ago there was an outbreak at a local golf tournament. Still, bad news for Chipotle.
William Shakespeare