Is Chipotle promoting food woo?

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Is Chipotle promoting food woo?

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Norovirus. That may not actually be the company's fault. One sick employee can do that. When I was visiting my parents a couple weeks ago there was an outbreak at a local golf tournament. Still, bad news for Chipotle.

From the CDC on Norovirus and

Norovirus and Working With Food

Food can get contaminated with norovirus when:

infected people who have stool or vomit on their hands touch the food,
it is placed on counters or surfaces that have infectious stool or vomit on them, or
tiny drops of vomit from an infected person spray through the air and land on the food.

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/food-handl ... -food.html

I'm going to go ahead and blame them.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Sure, in the sense that the company is ultimately responsible for what it's employees do, even the lowest level minimum wage workers. But these happen not infrequently is what I'm saying. It's getting more attention because it's chipotle and they are already under scrutiny for earlier food poisoning incidents.

Some other recent outbreaks that are being treated like local news rather than national news:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne ... ak-n475876

http://www.independent.com/news/2015/de ... community/

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/class ... irus-5766/

Norovirus is just a common cause of what we call a "stomach bug".
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:17 am

This guy lays out why Chipotle is having so many problems lately, and yeah, it it not unrelated to their faddy new-age food woo:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymiller ... hing-well/
William Shakespeare

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Sure, in the sense that the company is ultimately responsible for what it's employees do, even the lowest level minimum wage workers. But these happen not infrequently is what I'm saying. It's getting more attention because it's chipotle and they are already under scrutiny for earlier food poisoning incidents.

Some other recent outbreaks that are being treated like local news rather than national news:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne ... ak-n475876

http://www.independent.com/news/2015/de ... community/

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/class ... irus-5766/

Norovirus is just a common cause of what we call a "stomach bug".

Aka Montezumas Revenge.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:53 am

Local and organic food has extra safety risks. Just ask Chipotle.

Chipotle likes to emphasize the quality of its food, a goal summed up in the company's slogan, "Food with integrity." So it might seem paradoxical that Chipotle, of all companies, has gotten hit by a string of food safety problems.

Yet it turns out that it's not so paradoxical. This paragraph from a regulatory disclosure Chipotle filed in February — before the current food safety crisis began this summer — explains why (emphasis added):

We have made a significant commitment to serving local or organic produce when seasonally available, and a small portion of our restaurants also serves produce purchased from farmers markets seasonally as well. These produce initiatives may make it more difficult to keep quality consistent, and present additional risk of food-borne illnesses given the greater number of suppliers involved in such a system and the difficulty of imposing our quality assurance programs on all such suppliers. Quality variations and food-borne illness concerns could adversely impact public perceptions of Food With Integrity or our brand generally.

There's plenty to dislike about factory farms, but one big advantage of large-scale conventional agriculture is that it allows sophisticated quality control measures. By aggressively embracing local and organic food, Chipotle put itself — and its customers — at greater risk of doing business with suppliers with substandard safety and quality control procedures.

And as we've noted before, the benefits of organic food are scientifically dubious to start with.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:30 am

It's not only a matter of "local & organic". Dunno how it's in the US but here, with cheap transport, fruits and vegetables now often come from various places far away (e. g. garlic from China, leek from Turkey, mushrooms from ex-Yugoslavia, bell pepper from Hungary, tomatoes from Spain or Morocco, &c.).

As I eat lots of raw vegetables, I can only hope the supermarket where I buy the stuff has some control of it. 8)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:06 am

At least upgrade your stereo. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 am

Witness wrote:It's not only a matter of "local & organic". Dunno how it's in the US but here, with cheap transport, fruits and vegetables now often come from various places far away (e. g. garlic from China, leek from Turkey, mushrooms from ex-Yugoslavia, bell pepper from Hungary, tomatoes from Spain or Morocco, &c.).

As I eat lots of raw vegetables, I can only hope the supermarket where I buy the stuff has some control of it. 8)

Interesting you mentioned that. I see a lot of that here too. You can get 3 bulbs of Chinese garlic for about half the price of 1 bulb of Japanese garlic, so about 1/6th the price.

According to Wikipedia China produces much more garlic than any other country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic

Looks like more than 80% of the garlic produced in the whole world is produced in China.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:14 am

Another article from the same guy. Seems like he had the same thoughts I did:

Was Chipotle too busy avoiding the fake dangers of GMOs to focus on actual food safety?

Exactly the same question I had in mind.

The news about Chipotle's food safety record keeps getting worse. In recent months, people in California, Washington state, Minnesota, Boston, and elsewhere have gotten sick after eating at Chipotle. On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported another round of infections — five Chipotle customers in Kansas, North Dakota, and Oklahoma.

The run of bad news is ironic because Chipotle has actually spent a lot of time this year thinking about where its ingredients come from. Back in April, Chipotle became the first major restaurant chain to announce that all of its food was free of genetically modified organisms. Many customers saw that as a sign of progress — though others complained that some of its "GMO-free" meat came from animals fed GMO grains.

Yet study after study has found that GMO foods are perfectly safe. While genetically modified food sounds scary to a lot of people, it's been widely available in the United States for about two decades with no apparent ill effects.

So rather than pandering to groundless fears about GMO safety, Chipotle would have served its customers better by focusing on the very real dangers of food tainted with E. coli, norovirus, or salmonella.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:04 pm

It will not be long before some crafty lawyer (or sets thereof) starts filing class action suits against the organic food industry (or parts thereof). And they will win.

Take Chipotle's own damning admission (brought to us by Anax above):
These produce initiatives may make it more difficult to keep quality consistent, and present additional risk of food-borne illnesses

You knew it wasn't safe and you did it anyway. You must pay.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:00 pm

And the natural food tards see a conspiracy by the biotech industry

https://reason.com/blog/2015/12/23/biot ... b88a8a5ea0
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Norovirus. That may not actually be the company's fault. One sick employee can do that. When I was visiting my parents a couple weeks ago there was an outbreak at a local golf tournament. Still, bad news for Chipotle.

And now the Fed's join Lister's Blame Them All To Hell movement.

Now the restaurant chain has been slapped with a federal subpoena as part of a criminal investigation into a food poisoning outbreak in August, the AP reports. The subpoena received in December mandates that Chipotle produce "a broad range of documents" in regard to a norovirus outbreak at its restaurant in Simi Valley, Calif., which Bloomberg notes sickened 234 customers and workers.
This case isn't even the most publicized of Chipotle's recent health scares: A norovirus outbreak in Boston sickened more than 140 college students in late 2015, and an E. coli outbreak in nine states sickened more than 50, Bloomberg notes. The company's numbers are already hurting: Shares are down 37% over the past three months, per the Wall Street Journal, and Fox News reports that Chipotle predicts sales will fall 14.6% for 2015's fourth quarter—the first drop since the company went public in 2006.

http://www.newser.com/story/218578/feds ... break.html

It looks like that one employee certainly gets around. 8)

Also from the "It Can Happen to Anybody" department, here's a report from the Virginia Beach health inspection of one of their stores.
Observation (CORRECTED DURING INSPECTION): A food employee failed to wash his or her hands before engaging in food preparation, after touching bare human body parts, after coughing, sneezing, eating, after handling soiled utensils or after engaging in any activity which may have contaminated his/her hands.
Correction: Instruct food employees to clean their hands and exposed portions of their arms immediately before engaging in food preparation including working with exposed food, clean equipment and utensils, and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles and during food preparation, as often as necessary to remove soil and contamination and to prevent cross contamination when changing task.

To be fair, no all inspections of all stores were this terrible. http://healthspace.com/Clients/VDH/VBea ... f/home.xsp

One more outbreak and they'll get bought out by Taco Bell. Who, BTW has utterly revamped their menu. There are some pretty decent and varied menu items of late.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Bumping an old thread based on the latest news. So Chipotle's problems with food safety it seems have had a lasting impact on their bottom line. When I started this thread, over a year and a half ago (April 28, 2015) Chipotle's share price was around $640/share. By early August of that year it had risen to $750, but at the latest quote it is under $400/share.
You can look at a chart of their share price here if you're curious.

Here is the latest investor news:

Chipotle Mexican estimates 4.8 percent drop in fourth-quarter comparable sales

Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (CMG.N) said sales at established restaurants likely fell 4.8 percent in the fourth quarter and that costs came in higher than it had previously anticipated.

Chipotle's shares were down 3.2 percent at $381.99 in premarket trading.

The company said it incurred higher-than-expected expenses due to higher promotional spending and costs related to television advertising, as it fights to recover from a string of food safety lapses late last year.

It's down about 38% compared to when I started this thread and 47% from its all-time high later that year. Maybe it means that selling food woo doesn't really make good business sense in the long run?
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

It means selling food woo does not overcome a rep for E. coli.

As far as I can tell, other folks selling food woo are doing OK.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Back in the news.

Chipotle has closed a restaurant in Sterling, Virginia, after multiple reports of customers getting sick after eating there, the company told Business Insider.

Customers reported symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, dehydration, and nausea to the website iwaspoisoned.com, which first alerted Business Insider to the issues at the Sterling restaurant. One person reported two hospitalizations as a result of the illnesses.

In total, eight reports were made to the website indicating that at least 13 customers fell sick after eating there on Friday or Saturday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chipotle ... ick-2017-7

Once you're in the news it is hard to get out of it. One sick employee can doom a franchise. Surely, since the last episode, a dozen other chains at a thousand other places also shut down. But we don't hear about those. At least not here where Lister has shorted their stock.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

They don't call it R. Listeria for nothing.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 pm

You think they are moving the sick guy around like the Catholics move around pedophile priests?
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 pm

II think their business model isn't sanitary enough. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:II think their business model isn't sanitary enough. 8)

I really think that's the ticket. You'd they they'd learn. Advertise Organic, Sell something else that is clean. Or better supervision. They lack that. They have the meal making down to a science that doesn't require any adult leadership. So they hire none.

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”