Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

We are the Borg.
User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 66982
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 2184 times
Been thanked: 901 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Grammatron wrote: I don't see how it compares at all.


Getting to work without having to drive.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31837
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1357 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Grammatron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Grammatron wrote: I don't see how it compares at all.


Getting to work without having to drive.


You will have to drive and be competent at it, so it doesn't compare in those terms.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 66982
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 2184 times
Been thanked: 901 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Grammatron wrote:You will have to drive and be competent at it, so it doesn't compare in those terms.


So really more like an especially slick cruise control?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31837
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1357 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Grammatron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Grammatron wrote:You will have to drive and be competent at it, so it doesn't compare in those terms.


So really more like an especially slick cruise control?


At the moment, yes. Though some are better than others.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 19720
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1188 times
Been thanked: 945 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 am

Grammatron wrote:I have "driven" such a car from San Diego to Los Angeles.

As a daily commuter in populated area it's significantly less stressful to drive on highways. With all the radars I barely had to pay any attention to the road as the car kept itself in the proper lane and stopped to avoid collisions. The issues prop up when the lanes are not clear and in residential areas. The car gets confused and can exhibit unsettling maneuvers where it would just jump into another lane or swerve to avoid some perceived but non-existing obstacle.

In short, as an added safety measure it's unparalleled, as an autonomous system it's nowhere near ready.


So, once I assume? A Google car (now Waymo)? No rain?

I have wondered what rain would do to LIDAR. If it sometimes "sees" obstacles that aren't there, rain might make that worse. :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Don't forget! March 8th is World Badger Punting Day!

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19160
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Hiding under ed's bed
Has thanked: 500 times
Been thanked: 508 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 am


User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31837
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1357 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Grammatron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Grammatron wrote:I have "driven" such a car from San Diego to Los Angeles.

As a daily commuter in populated area it's significantly less stressful to drive on highways. With all the radars I barely had to pay any attention to the road as the car kept itself in the proper lane and stopped to avoid collisions. The issues prop up when the lanes are not clear and in residential areas. The car gets confused and can exhibit unsettling maneuvers where it would just jump into another lane or swerve to avoid some perceived but non-existing obstacle.

In short, as an added safety measure it's unparalleled, as an autonomous system it's nowhere near ready.


So, once I assume? A Google car (now Waymo)? No rain?

I have wondered what rain would do to LIDAR. If it sometimes "sees" obstacles that aren't there, rain might make that worse. :notsure:


Once as a driver. It was a Honda Sensinsg system, I am not if it uses any Waymo tech or it's Honda home brew. No rain and during the day.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19160
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Hiding under ed's bed
Has thanked: 500 times
Been thanked: 508 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Robotaxi permit gets Arizona’s OK; Waymo will start service in 2018
The state has granted Waymo a Transportation Network Company permit.

On Friday, we discovered that Waymo, the self-driving Google spinoff, has been granted a permit to operate as a Transportation Network Company in the state of Arizona. This means that it can launch an official ride-hailing service and start charging customers for their journeys. It also confirms the findings of a recent report that put Waymo at the front of the autonomous vehicle pack, meaning my colleague Tim Lee was right when he said the launch of a commercial operation by Waymo in Arizona was imminent.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/ro ... e-in-2018/

If gnome is right the riots may start any day now.

Not that there are enough taxi drivers in Arizona to fill a thimble anyway.

The comments are interesting. I would personally like something like a Johnny Cab--a fake "driver" would make me feel more comfortable. :) Plus, we could chat.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 66982
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 2184 times
Been thanked: 901 times

Re: Google Self-Driving Car Accident Reports

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm

I don't expect riots, but I will note that for some reason the new tech is a fire hazard.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale


Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests