Right to repair

We are the Borg.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Right to repair

Post by sparks » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Why, yes. I do not avoid appliances Mandrake. They sense my 60 cycle 120 volt power, and they seek the electron flow.

But, I do deny them my...essence.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm

sparks wrote:
ed wrote:ummm can you afford a house? I don't mean with a load, can you simply buy it? Same thing.
No.

Can't agree it's the same thing. A house/home is a basic human need. A tractor is a specific tool. There are cheaper ways to get after tilling the soil that do not involve computers and air-conditioned cabins. But, once Teh Orange Fucktard builds that wall, that'll be out the window too. But that's a different thread. :)

Thought about it, you are right.
- new minimalist ethos -

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Logical consequence:
There's a Thriving John Deere Black Market as Farmers Fight for "Right to Repair"

A flourishing black market of John Deere parts exists online, connecting farmers in rural America with counterparts in Eastern Europe to buy unlocked firmware crucial to tractors. If you're surprised by the idea of Nebraska farmers working together with Ukrainian suppliers to defeat a tractor company, well, welcome to the bizarre fight over "right to repair."

Those who use the black market, documented in a report by Motherboard, claim they are driven to it by restrictive licensing agreement by Deere, one of the largest tractor companies in the world. Those restrictions would bar the tractors' users from fixing its hardware or software themselves, but such rules are currently being challenged by so-called "right to repair" legislation working its way various states at the moment, including farming-heavy Nebraska.

One reason right to repair has been such a contentious issue in ag states is that time is a crucial commodity since crops are reliant on seasons. "When crunch time comes and we break down, chances are we don't have time to wait for a dealership employee to show up and fix it," Danny Kluthe, a hog farmer in Nebraska, said during testimony to his state's legislature earlier this month. "Most all the new equipment [requires] a download [to fix]."

Right to repair legislation would invalidate John Deere's license agreement, updated last October, which has severe restrictions that prohibit nearly all repair and modification to farming equipment.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... -thriving/