Mylar

We are the Borg.
gnome

Mylar

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:01 pm

On Valentine's day, they attached red mylar "heart" balloons to each desk. Out of a perverse curiosity I have simply left mine there to see how long it lasted.

As of now mine is the last one on display. Sometime over the weekend it reached a tipping point, and now it is at approximately neutral buoyancy instead of floating as high as it can.

So if anyone wants to know how long a mylar balloon can stay afloat, it's about 165 days.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Mylar

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:02 pm

One word. Fag.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm

We need more data at sea level.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 am

Surely there is an NFL study on buoyancy and air pressure.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 am

BoPET (Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate) is a polyester film made from stretched polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and is used for its high tensile strength, chemical and dimensional stability, transparency, reflectivity, gas and aroma barrier properties, and electrical insulation.

A variety of companies manufacture boPET and other polyester films under different brand names. In the UK and US, the most well-known trade names are Mylar, Melinex, and Hostaphan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoPET

Yeah, I know. Nobody asked, but just in case anyone was wondering. :)
Such potential!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:48 am

Actually that's kind of interesting to know.

So it's a CH2 CH2 train...
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:20 am

It repeating units of benzene, carbonyl, and ethyl groups. Makes it stretchy, yet durable. Also makes thin sheets that are strong and non-porous. Cool stuff.
Such potential!

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:50 pm

And nobody's worried about the morbidly obese oxygen atom chilling inside the benzene ring? That can't be healthy.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Mentat wrote:And nobody's worried about the morbidly obese oxygen atom chilling inside the benzene ring? That can't be healthy.
It's not politically correct in science to say "obese". We say, "de-localized".

For example, I have some de-localization around my mid-section.

In fact it's downright displaced.

Rather resembles a dz2 orbital.

Hello? Is this thing on? Any molecular orbital theory experts in the house?
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Ok, so I was being modest. I'm up to a 3dz2. Some retailers don't even sell my size. Thank goodness for Amazon.

Such potential!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Bruce wrote: ... I'll be here all week. Try the veal. :rimshot:
Molecular orbital humor. 8)

Where else but here? :cowbell:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 pm

I don't get it, but I appreciate it
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Grammatron wrote:I don't get it, but I appreciate it
I am just showing concern that Bruce is packing on way too many valence electrons. He's being reduced to a HAES (Health At Every S-orbital)!
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 pm

It's still hanging in there. Its point of equilibrium has dropped lower and lower (probably having to do with how the gravity pull of the string seems to vary with the amount of extension). I'm not sure I understand why the string (stapled to a corner of my cubicle) doesn't weigh the same regardless? I would think that except for a short period of time, the balloon would either go as high as it could or drop to the ground. But it's been in between since I started this thread.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 pm

If it's mylar then after it deflates just a bit there's no pressure inside; noting to force the helium out. It may stay that way for weeks.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:20 pm

I can believe that--but precise equilibrium seems unlikely to be sustained without a counterbalancing force at work. At stable helium levels and nothing else working on it, there should either be enough helium to still lift it, or not enough to keep it from dropping. Exactly the right amount for slack floating seems too coincidental.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 pm

gnome wrote:I can believe that--but precise equilibrium seems unlikely to be sustained without a counterbalancing force at work. At stable helium levels and nothing else working on it, there should either be enough helium to still lift it, or not enough to keep it from dropping. Exactly the right amount for slack floating seems too coincidental.
Maybe not. If the pressure in the balloon was enough to cause it to rise it would be tugging on the string causing pressure inside as the balloon is stretched between the string and wanting to rise. It is not until there is no tug on the string that the pressure inside is equalized. Which is, by not fucking coincidence, equilibrium.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:30 pm

I hadn't thought of the tug of the string affecting the pressure.
Or perhaps the string is a red herring, and the pull of gravity on the mylar itself is causing the same dynamic--and even with the string cut, it will deflate until equilibrium relieves the pressure.

Interesting. Thanks.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Eventually, pressures caused by random airflow from A/C and people walking around, will probably drop it below equilibrium.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 pm

gnome wrote:Eventually, pressures caused by random airflow from A/C and people walking around, will probably drop it below equilibrium.
Even variations in temperature. Turn the A/C down to 50 and watch it fall. Turn it up to 90 watch it rise.

And so ...
Mr. Lister wrote: It may stay that way for weeks.