Mylar

We are the Borg.
gnome

Re: Mylar

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

We're gonna find out!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Shoot it and be done.

Mylar is not meant to cause this much drama.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:39 pm

ed wrote:Shoot it and be done.

This is the fucking cat's meow.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Why do you hate science?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 pm

ed, totally not kidding, it floated over as if to look at the screen when I brought your comment up.

I'd be careful if I were you.
--Soldier, TF2

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:30 am

I remember playing with mylar balloons.

At this point now, you can snip a hole in the bottom at it will still float for days, as long as it doesn't tip over. There is no pressure left in the balloon. Just enough helium to keep it buoyant.
Such potential!

Fid

Post by Fid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:54 am

Some years ago we were flying a kite using a 12 ft strip of aluminized mylar (chaff) for a decorative tail. The half-mil mylar broke, drifted and landed on a power transformer. Knocked out the power for the whole street which fortunately was in a rural area. It was vaporized of course so the crew sent to restore power
decided it was a squirrel.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:32 am

Fid wrote:Some years ago we were flying a kite using a 12 ft strip of aluminized mylar (chaff) for a decorative tail. The half-mil mylar broke, drifted and landed on a power transformer. Knocked out the power for the whole street which fortunately was in a rural area. It was vaporized of course so the crew sent to restore power
decided it was a squirrel.
When I was a teen, a squirrel blew out a transformer right outside my window a 3am. Sounded like a cannon going off. Quite a light show too. Thought it was lightning at first, but there was no storms at the time. Electricians found a squirrel-shaped block of charcoal the next morning.
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:44 am

gnome wrote:I can believe that--but precise equilibrium seems unlikely to be sustained without a counterbalancing force at work. At stable helium levels and nothing else working on it, there should either be enough helium to still lift it, or not enough to keep it from dropping. Exactly the right amount for slack floating seems too coincidental.
Isn't it simply that, as the balloon floats down, more and more of the string's weight is taken up by the cubicle wall where it is attached?

We need a picture!

Fid

Post by Fid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Back in the day the kiddos used to fly artfully crafted model aircraft.

The guys were looking for a "thermal" a rising bulb of warm rotating air which would carry ones aircraft to large heights.

George Perryman managed to get the boyos a mile long roll of chaff, which (and I could wrong here) is still being used to detect the "devine wind".

The boys called themselves "The Kamikazi Squadron"

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/PerrymanGeorge.pdf
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Witness wrote:
gnome wrote:I can believe that--but precise equilibrium seems unlikely to be sustained without a counterbalancing force at work. At stable helium levels and nothing else working on it, there should either be enough helium to still lift it, or not enough to keep it from dropping. Exactly the right amount for slack floating seems too coincidental.
Isn't it simply that, as the balloon floats down, more and more of the string's weight is taken up by the cubicle wall where it is attached?

We need a picture!
See attached. That's another aspect I hadn't considered. I would suppose as soon as part of the string dips below the staple, the cubicle wall is taking some of the string's weight. But how much? Everything below staple level? Or something more complicated?

Damn, attachment too big. Let me see what I can do.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm

open in paint. Home -->resize-->20%-->ok-->save-->upload-->be somebody

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Or just re-host at tinypic.com
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:55 pm

My way proves Paint is immortal.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Oh also EVIDENCES OF LEVITATION!!!1!
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Haha.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:08 pm

gnome wrote:Here it is.
Pathetic. Hope it depresses your co-workers? :twisted:

Now cut the string just under the balloon and see if it rises to the ceiling. We need hard facts.

Then reattach the miserable thing to maintain it in captivity and pursue the psychological warfare.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm

I think we can safely conclude it will. I've worked out the gravity situation-- the balloon is supporting everything past the nadir of the string, the cubicle and staple everything before it. So since it can lift that much string, it would rise up if I cut it.
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:33 pm

gnome wrote:nadir
:figamagee:

[pedantic asshole] Nadira is an Arabic/Indian given name, which I find weird. [/pedantic asshole]