Designer babies

We are the Borg.
Grammatron

Re: Designer babies

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:People might try lots of things eventually. That people might eventually attempt to misuse technology is no argument against technology.
A ray of optimism shines through

If we avoided every technology that might have dire consequences I don't think we would have gotten past "fire".
I agree 100%. I just think this philosophy need not be only applied to technology.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:29 pm

gnome wrote:My scenario isn't necessarily one of deliberate misuse--I worry about it as a sociological consequence of people simply following their own interest without any thoughts of harm to anyone else (at least, no more than typically).

I agree it isn't an argument against the technology per se. Just whether we need to work out a few social issues before it's wise to choose to apply it in that fashion.

I see it as no different than limiting the nuclear club. It reduces its exposure to irrational actors, not that nuculars=evuls!
I find attempts to change society more ill fraught than attempts to change technology. Society is the end result of the whims and desires of millions and billions of people. It pretty much goes where it goes. All you can do is let the chips fall where they may and hope it adjusts
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:13 pm

True... and actually one of the more optimistic points of view I hold is that science fiction/speculative fiction in some ways prepares us culturally for unexpected consequences of revolutionary technology.

Robots and AI's, for example--the idea of laws that govern interactions between them and humans, pervades development and discussion of new breakthroughs. Even if we don't strictly adopt the classic Asimov line, just having a general understanding of how much it matters improves our outlook.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:. . . That people might eventually attempt to misuse technology is no argument against technology.
That's my position too.

I can never seem to get the so-called gun grabbers to see that point. :Scratch4:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Not sure if you are saying that I am a "gun grabber". I do not gush about guns because I have no interest in them. But neither do i have a problem with them.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Not sure if you are saying that I am a "gun grabber". I do not gush about guns because I have no interest in them. But neither do i have a problem with them.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. No, I was not referring to you. My comment was merely intended as an aside, not necessarily aimed at any specific person on this forum.

However, on another forum there are some rabid gun grabbers.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:49 am

Grammatron wrote:
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:39 pm

I just have to wonder how much money was spent on that little charade... And how they justified it as 'the next step'.

What madness.

Doomed.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:53 am

NSFW:
Why? I mean...WHY???
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 pm

lol wtf

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 am

Bacon makes everything better, even following YHWH's commandments.

Wait. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!