Hegemonic masculinity in the news

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Hegemonic masculinity in the news

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Don't laugh dammit!

THIS. IS. SCIENCE.

Doing vegetarianism to destabilize the meat-masculinity nexus in La Plata, Argentina
Taylor & Francis (publisher of learned journals)
Journal: Gender, Place & Culture
A Journal of Feminist Geography

Abstract

In patriarchal societies where hegemonic masculinity implies an imperative to eat meat, vegetarianism disrupts food culture, raising questions about how vegetarians do, re-do, and rework gender. Analyzing 23 interviews in La Plata, Argentina, I find that the narratives of conversion and social pushback reported by women and men expose gender enactment and social reinforcement of the binary. At times, vegetarians compensate by drawing on scripts of femininities and masculinities that uphold difference, e.g. women cook meat and reassure meat-eaters; men make rationality-based claims and demonstrate strength. Yet in other moments, vegetarians defy attempts to hold them accountable to gendered social expectations. Women, for example, assert authority over their diets; men embody rejection of the meat-masculinity nexus by adopting a worldview that also rejects sexism and racism. I contend that in such a context, we cannot separate the ways people ‘do vegetarianism’ from how they ‘do gender.’ Doing vegetarianism in interactions drives social change, contributing to the de-linking of meat from gender hegemony and revealing the resisting and reworking of gender in food spaces.

Keywords: Food culture, gender performance, identity, meat and masculinities, resistance, veganism and vegetarianism
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Re: Hegemonic masculinity in the news

Post by ed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:12 pm

A Journal of Feminist Geography

Is that like the "Jewish Physics" that set Adolf off?
- new minimalist ethos -