We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Reversing time

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Cool stuff.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6097 ... w-of-time/

Physicists Demonstrate How to Reverse of the Arrow of Time
The extraordinary experiment opens the door to a new generation of devices and reveals a deeper relationship between time, entropy, and entanglement.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Re: Reversing time

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Interesting stuff. Basically what I think they're saying is that they found a way to make heat flow from a colder atom to a hotter one via quantum entanglement.

Whether this means that they found a way to "reverse the arrow of time" or a way around the second law of thermodynamics is above my pay grade.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:34 pm

1 atom down, 10^80 more to go
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Sure. Just as soon as 10 more independent labs 'demonstrate' they're not on meth too.

Can't see that website BTW. Some colonial shit about signing up and stuff.

Rhetorically, it's always been easy to cool something off by heating something somewhere else up: Entropy is a real bitch and she has a very narrow field of view. That cunt and Time are BFFs.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 pm

sparks wrote: ... Entropy is a real bitch and she has a very narrow field of view. That cunt and Time are BFFs.

Fuck it.

Might as well mine bitcoins. :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm

I think what they're getting at is that the cooler atom was heating the warmer one without an intermediary, without a nanoscopic AC unit to help.

In other words, they created a closed system where entropy spontaneously decreased because of its initial conditions. Which isn't too groundbreaking when only dealing with a few particles. The probability of all the air molecules in a room suddenly all piling up in the center (a low entropy state) is practically zero on the lifetime of the universe. The probability of a room containing just three air molecules doing the same isn't though.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:44 am

From their arXiv paper:
These findings provide direct experimental evidence for the trading of quantum mutual information and entropy production.

Doesn't sound as outlandish as "time reversal". (I also note that "trading" implies a time flow… :mrgreen: )

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:33 am

Their claim that they have reversed the arrow of time centers around reversing entropy, thus violating the 2nd law and causing entropy to "spontaneously flow in reverse". Fair enough, but then they blow their own claim by saying this:

When the nuclei are entangled, the correlation places extra limits on the way the particles behave, resulting in a kind of engine that drives heat energy in the opposite direction.

Creating an engine that drives heat in the opposite direction is definitely not the same as spontaneous heat flow reversal.

If that were true, then my refrigerator has already proven that time can be reversed. :|

It works on quantum entanglement, Marty. All we need is chloroform and acetone. Now we just pour them into Mr. NMR......pay attention Marty! This is physics!
Such potential!

Return to “Science, Mathematics & Technology”