DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

We are the Borg.
User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:49 am

The Golden State Killer raped and murdered victims all across the state of California in an era before Google searches and social media, a time when the police relied on shoe leather, not cellphone records or big data. But it was technology that got him. The suspect, Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested by the police on Tuesday. Investigators accuse him of committing more than 50 rapes and 12 murders. Investigators used DNA from crime scenes and plugged that genetic profile into a commercial online genealogy database. They found distant relatives of Mr. DeAngelo's and traced their DNA to him.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/g ... iller.html

How should I feel about that? I am a lump of clay. Mold me.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32795
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by ed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 am

Pros: Good use of resources. Bad guy put away.

Cons: Cali. Meh.
- new minimalist ethos -

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21213
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1361 times
Been thanked: 1149 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Assuming they really got the right guy, good. I mean, we're talking about serial killer. Should they not use any available technology to catch serial killers?

Is there some reason to think that this sort of technology might be abused? Maybe there are other possible uses that might give me pause, but as long as we're just talking about catching murderers I'm all for it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32795
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by ed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Assuming they really got the right guy, good. I mean, we're talking about serial killer. Should they not use any available technology to catch serial killers?

Is there some reason to think that this sort of technology might be abused? Maybe there are other possible uses that might give me pause, but as long as we're just talking about catching murderers I'm all for it.
:doglaugh:

Are you serious?
- new minimalist ethos -

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 15980
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 1922 times
Been thanked: 2609 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by Witness » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
[…] a commercial online genealogy database. […]
So voluntarily submitted data. Heck, people probably even paid to have their DNA analyzed. And it will remain in the database in sæcula sæculorum. And other smart uses will be found.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21213
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1361 times
Been thanked: 1149 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm

ed wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Assuming they really got the right guy, good. I mean, we're talking about serial killer. Should they not use any available technology to catch serial killers?

Is there some reason to think that this sort of technology might be abused? Maybe there are other possible uses that might give me pause, but as long as we're just talking about catching murderers I'm all for it.
:doglaugh:

Are you serious?
:lol:
Well, the thought did occur to me of course, but I really don't know for sure.

Can you posit something more specific that we should worry about? Because right now my concern is sort of vague. I can't think of anything too bad that seems likely, because they could make laws (and there probably already are laws) about what they can do with the data.

It is concerning that even if they don't have your personal data, they might still be able to identify you if they have data on your relatives. But for what? If we're talking about catching murderers and rapists, that's one thing. But tell me how this is going to be bad for regular citizens.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32795
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by ed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
ed wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Assuming they really got the right guy, good. I mean, we're talking about serial killer. Should they not use any available technology to catch serial killers?

Is there some reason to think that this sort of technology might be abused? Maybe there are other possible uses that might give me pause, but as long as we're just talking about catching murderers I'm all for it.
:doglaugh:

Are you serious?
:lol:
Well, the thought did occur to me of course, but I really don't know for sure.

Can you posit something more specific that we should worry about? Because right now my concern is sort of vague. I can't think of anything too bad that seems likely, because they could make laws (and there probably already are laws) about what they can do with the data.

It is concerning that even if they don't have your personal data, they might still be able to identify you if they have data on your relatives. But for what? If we're talking about catching murderers and rapists, that's one thing. But tell me how this is going to be bad for regular citizens.
Wyden: "I hope we can do this in just a yes or no answer, because I know Sen. Feinstein wants to move on. Last summer, the NSA director (Keith Alexander) was at a conference and he was asked a question about the NSA surveillance of Americans. He replied, and I quote here, ‘The story that we have millions, or hundreds of millions, of dossiers on people is completely false.’ The reason I’m asking the question is, having served on the committee now for a dozens years, I don’t really know what a dossier is in this context. So, what I wanted to see if you could give me a yes or no answer to the question: Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions, or hundreds of millions of Americans?"
Clapper:"No, sir."

Wyden: "It does not?"

Clapper: "Not wittingly. There are cases where they could inadvertently, perhaps, collect, but not wittingly."

Wyden: "All right. Thank you. I’ll have additional questions to give you in writing on that point, but I thank you for the answer."
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... ear-later/

A lie. Under oath.
- new minimalist ethos -

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19794
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:22 pm

It makes me uncomfortable that they are this clever.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32795
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by ed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Don't worry, they were actually looking for colluding Russians.
- new minimalist ethos -

User avatar
robinson
Posts: 4222
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Be good to each other
Location: USA
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by robinson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:00 pm

From the linked story

GEDmatch said in its statement that it had warned those who used its site that the genetic information could be used for other purposes. “If you are concerned about non-geneatological uses of your DNA, you should not upload your DNA to the database and/or you should remove DNA that has already been uploaded,” the statement said.

Reminds me of Facebook (and about everything else online)

If you don't want us using your data, don't use the internet. Problem solved.
You never know what's going to happen

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32795
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: DNA and big data and the Golden State Killer

Post by ed » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Until it becomes mandatory.
- new minimalist ethos -