The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Pissed Off

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Postby ed » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 am

Here you go. A review of a paper on feminist glaciology, really.
Postmodern Glacier professor defends his dreadful study as “misunderstood”. It wasn’t.

Along with three co-authors, Mark Carey, a dean and professor of history at Robert D. Clark Honors college at the University of Oregon, recently published a dreadful postmodernist paper in Progress in Human Geography, “Glaciers, gender and science: A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research.” (reference and link below). I wrote about it on this site last week, and have since read the whole thing twice. I still haven’t recovered.

At first I thought, with others, that the paper might be a hoax, but it wasn’t—it’s a real paper, just as opaque and crazy as Alan Sokal’s paper that caused such a furor when published in Social Text in 1996. But Sokal’s paper was an out-and-out hoax, designed to show just how insane the whole postmodern enterprise really was. And it did its job—mostly. But it didn’t eliminate this kind of nonsense in the humanities, because papers like that of Carey et al. are still being written, still being reviewed favorably and published, and still getting funding from the American taxpayers. Carey’s work, including this paper, was funded by a National Science Foundation grant to the tune of nearly $413,000 (see below).

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... -it-wasnt/

I really like the word "dreadful". My wife uses it to describe our experience of sitting at a gunshow for a weekend when not one person stops at out table. Le mot juste, so to speak. Anyway, check out the link and be sure to peruse the comments.
NOTE----> MY AVATAR GIVES MY POSTS SPECIAL AUTHORITY AND MAKES THEM TRUE <----NOTE

"O, if George should die, the sorrow and the woe, O, the black grief of the world ..."

"Critical situations first become crises when oxen or women get excited."

"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."
Truman Capote

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm

So having infiltrated and subverted the humanities out of any meaningful existence as fields of learning, they are targeting those fields with decent paying "real world" jobs.

You knew this would happen.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So having infiltrated and subverted the humanities out of any meaningful existence as fields of learning, they are targeting those fields with decent paying "real world" jobs.

You knew this would happen.

Have they subverted it out of meaningful existence? Or have they just created some headlines easy to crow over?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:35 pm

gnome wrote:Have they subverted it out of meaningful existence? Or have they just created some headlines easy to crow over?

I would say that the old "well rounded education" (that made a degree in -- for example -- English lit worthwhile to someone headed for a career in business) no longer exists.

There might be a difference of opinion about whether it should exist, but not about whether it does.

If you want that kind of knowledge, get a degree in math or electrical engineering, and spend a lot of time in the college library reading things not required.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Progress in Human Geography, the journal that published the paper, is a sociology/geography journal.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
gnome wrote:Have they subverted it out of meaningful existence? Or have they just created some headlines easy to crow over?

I would say that the old "well rounded education" (that made a degree in -- for example -- English lit worthwhile to someone headed for a career in business) no longer exists.

There might be a difference of opinion about whether it should exist, but not about whether it does.

If you want that kind of knowledge, get a degree in math or electrical engineering, and spend a lot of time in the college library reading things not required.

I think you're falling victim to a correlation-causation fallacy there. You perceive increased penetration (won't THEY love that word?) of SJW agenda into liberal arts academia as correlating with the decline you describe.

Since I question the extent of that penetration, is it possible that such decline as there is may be happening for completely different reasons?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 pm

gnome:

What is happening is explicitly what they say they are doing.
A mere coincidence with both sides being beguiled into causation fallacy?

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Possibly. Let's say that there was a Buggy Whip Manufacturer's Union (that comprised only actually about 6% of buggy whip makers) that decided they were going to give their corporate masters what-for. "We're on strike! You won't be able to sell coaches without our buggy whips!". The corporate masters say, "We'd be competing fine against those newfangled motorcars if those commie unions weren't on strike". The BWMU says, "Yay, it's working!"

Meanwhile the 94% that doesn't go for that union shit are sitting idle or unemployed because everyone wants motorcars instead.

I'd need a specific claim, though, to evaluate.
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Funny you should mention that. When I had a Math class there was some English class next door.
You could tell it was an English class, because the first thing they did was move the chairs into a circle...
My professor would occasionallyh comment "they will have a good future in furniture moving..."

Even Writing is a better career choice IMHO, YMMV.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Advice to would be writers -- Read a lot, write a lot, get opinions of your writing from people who like what you like, and above all DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY TELL YOU IN "CREATIVE WRITING" COURSES.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm

It might be good to have a grammar coach, but you won't get anything like that in college.

Grammar is homophobic. :notsure:

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Skeeve wrote:Funny you should mention that. When I had a Math class there was some English class next door.
You could tell it was an English class, because the first thing they did was move the chairs into a circle...
My professor would occasionallyh comment "they will have a good future in furniture moving..."

Even Writing is a better career choice IMHO, YMMV.

It was like that in high school for me. Then in college, it flipped.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm

ed wrote:I really like the word "dreadful". My wife uses it to describe our experience of sitting at a gunshow for a weekend when not one person stops at out table. Le mot juste, so to speak. Anyway, check out the link and be sure to peruse the comments.

You need to make your booth sexier. It works for Red Army Standard!

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Are those authentic guns?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Doctor X wrote:Are those authentic guns?

--J.D.

Absolutely! Big photo, of course, is only so Dr. X can better inspect the firearms for authenticity.

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Nice trigger discipline.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm

I always thought Trigger Discipline was just Roy Rogers keeping his horse under control

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Nyar's references are out of control

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Grammatron wrote:Nyar's references are out of control

If only you knew how many I DON'T make, thinking they would be too obscure.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:Nyar's references are out of control

If only you knew how many I DON'T make, thinking they would be too obscure.

Well maybe you should, everyone who posts here is a huge nerd

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”