The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Postby Witness » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 am

MacDonald has been demonized by the Left and deplatformed at several universities for her support of the police (she wrote The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Less Safe and has also been a critic of the Black Lives Matter movement). But nobody denies she’s a serious scholar—far from the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos and other provocateurs. Nevertheless, this is how she’s been treated (from Wikipedia):
In the spring of 2017, a protest group announced plans to “shut down” her speech on the Black Lives Matter movement at a college campus in California, on the grounds that Mac Donald is, they allege, racist, fascist, and anti-Black. On April 7, around 250 protesters surrounded and prevented audience members from entering the building where she was speaking at Claremont McKenna College, whose president Hiram Chodosh stated afterwards: “Based on the judgment of the Claremont Police Department, we jointly concluded that any forced interventions or arrests would have created unsafe conditions for students, faculty, staff, and guests.” Mac Donald ultimately gave the talk to a small audience in the Marian Miner Cook Athenaeum which was also live-streamed on the Claremont McKenna website. Chodosh added: “In the end, the effort to silence her voice effectively amplified it to a much larger audience.”
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/page/2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1_zLGFTSZ0

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I love how the issue of police abuse is framed as being for or against police in general.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 pm

gnome wrote:I love how the issue of police abuse is framed as being for or against police in general.

While individual cops may be good natured Good Soldier Schweiks, the abuse is inherent in the system in general.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Still is a distraction to personalize it.

The system needs reform. It's not a question of loyalty to those employed.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 am

Do you think white people could go into a Starbucks, sit at a table and not order anything and they wouldn't be asked to leave? In the first place, I don't think I've ever tried to do that. Tables at a restaurant are for paying customers, right? In the second place, if I did try it, I would expect to be asked to order something or leave. I really don't see how this is being made out to be a racial discrimination thing, but it is:

Philadelphia mayor 'heartbroken' after black men arrested at Starbucks

The CEO of Starbucks apologized, the mayor of Philadelphia was "heartbroken" and the city police commissioner defended officers who handcuffed and arrested two black men who asked to use a restroom in the coffee shop.

A cellphone video recorded the arrests, including a white man who was meeting the handcuffed men at the Center City shop, repeatedly asking officers "What did they do?" as the men were being handcuffed and taken away.

The video was posted shortly after the incident Thursday and went viral over the weekend, drawing millions of views.

CEO Kevin Johnson said the video shot by customers was "hard to watch." He apologized for the "disheartening situation in one of our Philadelphia-area stores this past Thursday, that led to a reprehensible outcome."

Johnson said police never should have been called and that the company was immediately beginning a review of its policies.

Mayor Jim Kenney said the coffee giant's apology was not enough and that the city Commission on Human Relations will examine the firm’s policies and bias training provided its employees.

“I am heartbroken to see Philadelphia in the headlines for an incident that — at least based on what we know at this point — appears to exemplify what racial discrimination looks like in 2018," Kenney said in a statement.

The Philadelphia Inquirer identified the white man as real estate developer Andrew Yaffe.

“What did they get called for, because there were two black guys sitting here to meet me," Yaffe says on the video. "What did they do? What did they do?"

A woman can be heard saying, "they didn't do anything, I saw the entire thing."

Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, said police received a 911 call from the Starbucks employees saying the men were trespassing. He said officers were told that the men had walked in, sat down, and then asked to use the restroom but did not buy anything. The employee denied their request, citing company policy.

Ross said officers "politely" asked the men to leave multiple times before the arrests. The men were released a short time later when Starbucks declined to prosecute, he said.

“As an African American male, I am very aware of implicit bias," Ross said. "We are committed to fair and unbiased policing."

But he said the men "did absolutely nothing wrong."

Johnson, in his statement, said he hopes to personally apologize to the men who were arrested. He said the chain will "train our partners to better know when police assistance is warranted."

The company will host a national meeting next week to discuss the case and what immediate next steps can be taken to "underscore our long-standing commitment to treating one another with respect and dignity."

Ross said he doesn’t patronize Starbucks but recalled an incident a couple years ago when a uniformed sergeant walked into a Starbucks, asked to use the bathroom and was denied.

"So they are at least consistent in their policy," he said. “If a business calls and they say ‘Someone is here that I no longer wish to be in my business,' they (officers) now have a legal obligation to carry out their duties,” he said.

:notsure:

The CEO has decided to apologize. I guess this means he's saying that these men were in the right here, and the company was in the wrong. The police were just enforcing the law. They asked them politely to leave before arresting them.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Postby Giz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Do you think white people could go into a Starbucks, sit at a table and not order anything and they wouldn't be asked to leave? In the first place, I don't think I've ever tried to do that. Tables at a restaurant are for paying customers, right? In the second place, if I did try it, I would expect to be asked to order something or leave. I really don't see how this is being made out to be a racial discrimination thing, but it is:

Philadelphia mayor 'heartbroken' after black men arrested at Starbucks

The CEO of Starbucks apologized, the mayor of Philadelphia was "heartbroken" and the city police commissioner defended officers who handcuffed and arrested two black men who asked to use a restroom in the coffee shop.

A cellphone video recorded the arrests, including a white man who was meeting the handcuffed men at the Center City shop, repeatedly asking officers "What did they do?" as the men were being handcuffed and taken away.

The video was posted shortly after the incident Thursday and went viral over the weekend, drawing millions of views.

CEO Kevin Johnson said the video shot by customers was "hard to watch." He apologized for the "disheartening situation in one of our Philadelphia-area stores this past Thursday, that led to a reprehensible outcome."

Johnson said police never should have been called and that the company was immediately beginning a review of its policies.

Mayor Jim Kenney said the coffee giant's apology was not enough and that the city Commission on Human Relations will examine the firm’s policies and bias training provided its employees.

“I am heartbroken to see Philadelphia in the headlines for an incident that — at least based on what we know at this point — appears to exemplify what racial discrimination looks like in 2018," Kenney said in a statement.

The Philadelphia Inquirer identified the white man as real estate developer Andrew Yaffe.

“What did they get called for, because there were two black guys sitting here to meet me," Yaffe says on the video. "What did they do? What did they do?"

A woman can be heard saying, "they didn't do anything, I saw the entire thing."

Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, said police received a 911 call from the Starbucks employees saying the men were trespassing. He said officers were told that the men had walked in, sat down, and then asked to use the restroom but did not buy anything. The employee denied their request, citing company policy.

Ross said officers "politely" asked the men to leave multiple times before the arrests. The men were released a short time later when Starbucks declined to prosecute, he said.

“As an African American male, I am very aware of implicit bias," Ross said. "We are committed to fair and unbiased policing."

But he said the men "did absolutely nothing wrong."

Johnson, in his statement, said he hopes to personally apologize to the men who were arrested. He said the chain will "train our partners to better know when police assistance is warranted."

The company will host a national meeting next week to discuss the case and what immediate next steps can be taken to "underscore our long-standing commitment to treating one another with respect and dignity."

Ross said he doesn’t patronize Starbucks but recalled an incident a couple years ago when a uniformed sergeant walked into a Starbucks, asked to use the bathroom and was denied.

"So they are at least consistent in their policy," he said. “If a business calls and they say ‘Someone is here that I no longer wish to be in my business,' they (officers) now have a legal obligation to carry out their duties,” he said.

:notsure:

The CEO has decided to apologize. I guess this means he's saying that these men were in the right here, and the company was in the wrong. The police were just enforcing the law. They asked them politely to leave before arresting them.

You have to brush up on your intersectionality. Starbucks has high privilege. The police are part of the hetero-normative patriarchal power structure. The two guys are on the historic grievance axis. You may ask “what about the reason or culpability axis?” But that is a bourgeoisie thoughtcrime. There is no reason/culpability axis on the intersectionality oppression graph! There is just more oppression!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 am

Giz wrote:You have to brush up on your intersectionality. Starbucks has high privilege. The police are part of the hetero-normative patriarchal power structure. The two guys are on the historic grievance axis. You may ask “what about the reason or culpability axis?” But that is a bourgeoisie thoughtcrime. There is no reason/culpability axis on the intersectionality oppression graph! There is just more oppression!

I guess this is the times we live in.

But still, were the employees not following the company policy to the letter? Were they not legally on solid ground?

I think part of the problem is the person who posted the video to twitter (a "concerned" white person) framed it in a way that made it seem like racial discrimination, and then that post went 'viral' and everyone who was predisposed to view it through that lens saw it that way. Later, if you look at the twitter thread, more "concerned" white people and non-white people show up to protest.

https://twitter.com/missydepino/status/ ... 3016094721

That they "weren't doing anything" is sort of the point. It's a business. They aren't obligated to let people who aren't customers just hang out there and wait.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 am

Private property and businesses are neither it seems.

Pathetic.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 am

Giz wrote:

I see an issue here. Did the Starbucks employees ask that they leave the premises, warn them they would contact authorities? Or did they go straight from "No, you can't use the bathroom" to calling the police?

Perhaps legally in the right, but depending on the detail here (I find these odd omissions in news stories quite frustrating) a shitty way to handle the situation.
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:56 pm

FWIW, I use Starbucks' restrooms without buying anything fairly often.

It might actually be racial discrimination in this case, or possibly there is something about the behavior of the arrested men that is not being told.

Insufficient information in the story to form a real opinion.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Makes it the perfect vehicle for whatever agenda one wants to promote. Unjournalism is performing a valuable service!
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Perhaps I need to revise my initial assessment of the situation.

According to this report, there were white people there who were allowed to use the restroom and/or seating area without buying anything.

http://6abc.com/what-a-witness-says-hap ... s/3342444/

So, maybe there was some sort of selective enforcement of the rules (or sloppy/inconsistent), or maybe the employees just didn't notice.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Postby shuize » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 pm

Many years ago at a Starbucks in the States I watched two disheveled homeless-looking black people come in a Starbucks, sit down without ordering and start eating outside food. The staff either didn’t notice or didn’t care. But when finished eating, one of the guys picked up one of the expensive espresso machines on sale, dropped it in his bag, and started to leave. Thing was, he was staring at me the whole time he did it, basically daring me to report him. I immediately reported him. Cops must have been on their way to the store, because they caught him not two blocks away.

I was a bit concerned since I had just started my new job with the public defender’s office and wasn’t sure how they’d feel about me getting one of the local homeless arrested. Fortunately, it was before all the “black people can do no wrong” intersectionalist bullshit, and my boss was fine.

As with this current story, I thought the whole thing could have been avoided with better enforcement of “order or leave.”

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 am

You know people arguing that someone should be able to steal because they're black?
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 am

To me, the part I can't find out is how long they hung around without ordering. I have never had any problem with going into any restaurant and telling the people "Oh, I am waiting for someone" then waiting 15-20 minutes for whomever to show up, including Starbucks. So I would like to know did they hang out there for 5 minutes, 15, an hour before police were called?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

shuize

Postby shuize » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 am

gnome wrote:You know people arguing that someone should be able to steal because they're black?

Yes, my instincts were not completely wrong. I later met people, including some in the public defender's office, who would have taken a very dim view of my reporting a black person for such a crime.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:43 am

shuize wrote:
gnome wrote:You know people arguing that someone should be able to steal because they're black?

Yes, my instincts were not completely wrong. I later met people, including some in the public defender's office, who would have taken a very dim view of my reporting a black person for such a crime.

They usually won't say it as boldly as that, but I'm pretty sure the attitude exists among some that stealing from white people is just payback for racial injustices suffered. Think of it as "reparations". And most of the stuff white people own was probably inherited from their slave-owing ancestors anyway.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:36 am

A couple updates to the story:

Cafe shut down after protesters enter, chanting 'Starbucks coffee is anti-black!'

(CNN)Anger over two black men being perp-walked out of a Philadelphia Starbucks continued to simmer Monday, with protests that briefly shut the location down, a sit-in and critical comments from African-American leaders.
During the early demonstration that forced the store to close, protesters called the mammoth coffee chain "anti-black." The store reopened hours later.

As the protests heated up, the arrested men, who were not charged with a crime despite being detained, agreed to meet with Starbucks' CEO Kevin Johnson. And the Philadelphia police commissioner, who is under fire for defending his officers, said the policemen never wanted to arrest the men.

The men, who have not been identified, initially asked to use the restroom inside the Starbucks on Thursday but were told the cafe's bathrooms were for customers only. They then occupied a table without making a purchase, which many observers have noted is a common occurrence at the franchise's locations.
A manager called police after the men declined to leave the premises because, they said, they were waiting for an acquaintance.
That manager is no longer working at the store, Starbucks said, but it's unclear if she was terminated or relocated.
'We want to see action'
Philadelphia Councilman Kenyatta Johnson and other African-American leaders denounced the chain Monday afternoon in front of the Rittenhouse Square location, where the incident occurred.
Johnson said he met with the Starbucks CEO and Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney, but he was "not sold" on the actions Starbucks said it planned to take.
"To me it was all lip service," said Johnson, whose district includes the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood.
"We want to see action," the councilman said. "We want to see an actual plan to make sure that those individuals that come to and from Starbucks ... are respected, and they can go to the establishment without fear of being targeted because of their skin color."
He said he believes if the two men "didn't have sweatsuits on, they wouldn't have been targeted."
Johnson said city leaders are also demanding Starbucks engage in diversity and inclusion training and sensitivity training for all workers.
"We can't find a reason for them being approached by this except for their skin," said Minister Rodney Muhammad, president of the Philadelphia NAACP.
'This is a societal issue'
Soon after, faith leaders and others filed into the store for a sit-in led by Philadelphians Organized to Witness, Empower and Rebuild, a community group. The crowd sang gospel songs and chanted before leaving the store.
As they prepared to march, one man said: "Starbucks, you can't hide."
"We can see your dirty side," the crowd responded.
Starbucks' policies, guidelines and procedures will be reviewed by the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, the mayor's office said. The city's Police Advisory Commission has also been asked to review all video of the incident and interview citizens and officers at the scene.
After meeting with Starbucks officials, including its CEO, Kenney said he believes the company will cooperate with the city's probes.
"This is not just a Starbucks issue. This is a societal issue," Kenney said in a statement." People can react differently to others based on skin color, and that is wrong. We have work to do, and we need to do so productively."
'If we can't get it, shut it down'
Hours earlier, a man also led protesters in call and response, in video captured by CNN affiliate KYW.
"Starbucks coffee is anti-black!"
"A whole lot of racism, a whole lot of crap!"
The next chant began, "Anti-blackness anywhere is anti-blackness everywhere!"
"What do we want?" the man asked.
"Liberation!" the protesters replied.
"When do we want it?"
"Now!"
The next chant -- "If we can't get it, shut it down" -- spoke to the demonstrators' demands. They are angry with Starbucks' apology and the company's promise to review its policies.
CEO calls arrests 'reprehensible'
They bristled particularly at the sentence, "Our store manager never intended for these men to be arrested." Why then, posited the protesters -- as did their counterparts on social media -- did the manager call police in the first place? And why, in the video of the arrests that went viral last week, is the manager not seen intervening, despite several customers taking the arresting officers to task?

I wonder if apologizing rather than trying to explain only makes things worse.

Also, if you're going to have a rule, you better enforce it consistently, not let it slide for some and then enforce it on others.

Oh well, I shed no tears for the likes of Starbucks. They went out of their way to cultivate an image as a socially progressive company.

Anyone remember this corporate initiative from a few years ago?

Starbucks' push to make baristas talk about race sounds like it could be disastrous

Starbucks has launched an initiative to encourage its employees and customers to have conversations about race.
CEO Howard Schultz has given baristas at 12,000 Starbucks locations the option to write the words "Race Together" on customers' cups and begin discussions about race relations.
The initiative is a partnership with USA Today. Full-page ads in the New York Times and USA Today this week have advertisements supporting the Race Together initiative, and USA Today will include an insert with materials on race designed to spark the desired discussions and a hashtag — #RaceTogether — to publicly share results. According to Starbucks, the plan will be further detailed during Starbucks' 2015 annual shareholders meeting in Seattle on Wednesday.

According to Starbucks, the Race Together initiative is an outgrowth of the discussion forums the company held in response to the outcry over racially biased policing after Michael Brown's death in Ferguson, Missouri, and Eric Garner's in Staten Island, New York.

It appears to be a reflection of Schultz's sincere distress over the pain and hostility that often underlies national headlines and controversies related to race and racism. While there is no shortage of tweets making light of the potential pitfalls of the effort, it would be unfair not to note that Race Together is probably an honest attempt on his part to make America better.

That said, the initiative's undefined goals (encouraging people to talk generally about race without any measurable objective) and misguided tactics (setting people up to have complicated conversations without any direction or guidance) mean it's very unlikely to fix the racial bias that sparked it — and could even cause harm by distracting from substantive attempts to remedy racial inequality.

Talking about race isn't unusual

Race Together's premise seems to rest on the assumption that Americans don't like to talk about race, and that people buying and selling coffee can bravely take the lead in this area.

"We at Starbucks should be willing to talk about these issues in America," Schultz said.

They wanted to be the company that cares deeply about Black Lives Matter and would have conversations about race with their customers. Well, I guess they finally have their chance!! :lol:
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 am

I've actually heard it (not on the 'net).

But not recently, and I don't consider it "typical" of anything.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”