Expert: Acosta video distributed by White House was doctored

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:55 am

NEW YORK (AP) — A video distributed by the Trump administration to support its argument for banning CNN reporter Jim Acosta from the White House appears to have been doctored to make Acosta look more aggressive than he was during an exchange with a White House intern, an independent expert said Thursday.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders tweeted the video, which shows Acosta asking President Donald Trump a question on Wednesday as the intern tries to take his microphone away. But a frame-by-frame comparison with an Associated Press video of the same incident shows that the one tweeted by Sanders appears to have been altered to speed up Acosta’s arm movement as he touches the intern’s arm, according to Abba Shapiro, an independent video producer who examined the footage at AP’s request.
There's a video of said expert showing the video side by side with the original video. The difference is subtle. A few frames added here, a few removed there. But basically they're saying that the White House altered the video to make it look like a more aggressive motion than it was.

Should we care? If true, even if the difference is subtle, it seems to show an intentional effort to device.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

xouper

Re: Expert: Acosta video distributed by White House was doctored

Post by xouper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:55 am
NEW YORK (AP) — A video distributed by the Trump administration to support its argument for banning CNN reporter Jim Acosta from the White House appears to have been doctored to make Acosta look more aggressive than he was during an exchange with a White House intern, an independent expert said Thursday.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders tweeted the video, which shows Acosta asking President Donald Trump a question on Wednesday as the intern tries to take his microphone away. But a frame-by-frame comparison with an Associated Press video of the same incident shows that the one tweeted by Sanders appears to have been altered to speed up Acosta’s arm movement as he touches the intern’s arm, according to Abba Shapiro, an independent video producer who examined the footage at AP’s request.
There's a video of said expert showing the video side by side with the original video. The difference is subtle. A few frames added here, a few removed there. But basically they're saying that the White House altered the video to make it look like a more aggressive motion than it was.

Should we care? If true, even if the difference is subtle, it seems to show an intentional effort to device.
Where is the evidence that it was the White House that "doctored" the video?

It's my understanding that they simply pilfered a video from another source and (perhaps) without realizing it had been "doctored", especially given the subtleness of the edits.

More importantly, however, the "doctored" video —as compared with the original — does not change the fundamental facts of the case.

Having seen both versions, it is clear to me that Acosta was behaving like an ass and deserved to be sanctioned for interfering with the woman who was rightfully trying to retrieve the microphone from Acosta, since it was no longer his turn to ask questions.

This complaint about the video being "doctored" is a big nothingburger, presumably intended to distract from the real issue of Acosta's unacceptable behavior.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Followup: The video may not not have been "doctored" intentionally. In addition to that, it looks like there might also be some Streisand Effect going on here.
CNN's Claim That Sarah Sanders Pushed 'Actual Fake News' About Acosta Backfires
By James Barrett - November 8, 2018

Accusation that Sanders pushed out "doctored" video ends up drawing more attention to Acosta's bad behavior — and the network's paranoia.

. . . But then BuzzFeed ended up raining on everyone's "actual fake news" parade. After looking more closely at the video, BuzzFeed concluded that rather than some nefarious attempt to mislead the public about Acosta's unprofessional actions, the alterations in the video appear to simply be what happens when converting video from one format to another.

"There's no evidence that the video was deliberately sped up — but the change in format, from a high-quality video to a low-quality GIF, turns the question of whether it was 'doctored' into a semantic debate," BuzzFeed's Charlie Warzel reports. "This video analysis by BuzzFeed News demonstrates what the GIF conversion process does to video. While it's not technically "sped up" by intent, it effectively is in practice. The video-to-GIF conversion removes frames from the source material by reducing the frame rate. The GIF-making tool GIF Brewery, for example, typically reduces source video to 10 frames per second. Raw, televised video typically has a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second."
I have not actually confirmed that Warzel's analysis is correct. It sounds plausible, but that doesn't mean he has correctly identified what happened in the particular case. I do not (yet) have enough information to say one way or the other.

If it was truly that important, I might bother trying to find out.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

I was saying on another forum that the claims the video was doctored was ridiculous, it's just an artifact of converting the video to a lossy gif format. Here's the 2 side by side, you have to really, really look hard to spot any differences.

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 pm

An expert for hire. :roll:

BTW, The president has the authority revoke a press pass for any reason or no reason and CNN knows this.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:50 pm

If it was converted to a GIF from another format that might explain it.

I have no idea, I just came across this, and it's from the AP and the guy seemed to know what he was talking about. I can't tell the difference from Wildcat's video, which is slowed to 50%, but in the AP's video he basically slows it down even more and goes one frame at a time.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Well that settles it.

Gotta take it to the UN Human Rights Committee.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm

I am glad we are focused on the important issues.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 pm

What happened to believe the victim?

And besides, how obviously guilty can you be? He's called "Jim Accost her". Patriarchal patronymics at their most oppressive!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:18 pm

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 am

I love CNN tried to take the saying "put your hands on a person" and make it a literal in order to claim it was a false claim.

Fucking fake news fucktards.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:17 pm

@DonaldJTrumpJr
Btw...

So are we just supposed to act like the media didn’t completely make up and spread an insane conspiracy theory about the WH doctoring a tape? How’s that disappear from the “news” so fast?! 🧐🤔
It's part of the FakeNews cycle, trumped the FakeNews as loud as you can, then bury the retractions.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:18 pm

You know some black dude is telling his friend, "if I resisted like that, I'd have 5 warning shots in my back".

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:30 pm

The sad part of this incident was, Trump basically told the media "stop framing everything I do as racism and I'll stop calling you fakenews". He offered a truce to the media. "Stop dividing the country and I'll stop calling you fake".

Then he let Jim Acosta be one of the first people to ask a question. Jim his most antagonistic questioner.

Jim proceeded to keep doing what he always does, basically editorialize and then ask a cosmetic question.

Trump lays right back into him. Then Jim presses on to ask more questions and Trump tells him no.

Then Trump answers anyway. At this point, Trump is livid. He offered the truce, and Jim wasn't even listening.

He signals for them to take the mic away, and Acosta resists. You don't resist. Period. Jim was out of line. He's gone. Good riddance. They should have revoked his pass after the North Korean incident.

Now they are finding dupes to say "this is the kind of thing that happened to me in China". Bullshit.

Then Trump calls that sweathog from PBS who basically just reads "The Other 98 Percent" fakenews memes from Facebook as questions. She calls Trump a White Nationalist and he basically just goes off on and calls next question.

The hicks aren't retarded. For all the media saying "Trump is Divisive" there is a thing in the Bible about being so busy to find the splinter in your brother's eye that you don't notice the plank in your own.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:23 pm

He should have surrendered the microphone the first time she reached for it. Her second reach was under his left arm while he was in mid-gesture and hilarity ensued. He should have surrendered it then, too. The President says "Enough," then you're done. Persistence is futile.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Yeah, fuck him.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 pm

I agree. It's not his fucking microphone. Fuck him.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 pm

shuize wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 pm
I agree. It's not his fucking microphone. Fuck him.
In Loving Memory of Jim Acosta's Career...

So, was this guy allways acting like a rude obnoxious dick?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Is it really going to hurt his career? Seems like he will be a shoo-in for CNN's Hero of the Year 2018.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:46 pm

If Keith Untermensch can keep getting hired by companies that got rid of him because everyone hated him, "this fuckin' guy" will have a bright future.

--J.D.