Ecuador Grants Assange Asylum;

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skeeve

Ecuador Grants Assange Asylum;

Postby Skeeve » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Ecuador Grants Assange Asylum; UK Threatens to Storm Embassy
The government of Ecuador announced officially Thursday that it would grant Wikileaks founder Julian Assange political asylum.
On Wednesday evening -- in what some observers saw as a preemptive attempt to influence Ecuador's decision -- the UK government notified officials in the Latin American country that it could, citing clauses in British domestic law, storm the embassy to arrest the founder of Wikileaks.

Mark Weisbrot, co-director for the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR), called the British threats are "unprecedented" and an offense to international law. “It is a Mafia-like response," Weisbrot said, "[the UK] saying we can settle this question by force rather than law because no one can stop us.”

Weisbrot noted that “The U.K. government would not resort to such extreme threats if this case were really just about a foreign citizen who was wanted for questioning – not criminal charges or a trial – in a neighboring country. Clearly there are other motives involved.”

“Who is Assange to provoke such an overreaction? He is merely wanted for questioning in Sweden, yet the Swedish authorities have rejected numerous opportunities, including Ecuador’s recent offer, to question him in London. They have done so without even offering a reason.”
Hrm...probably not a good idea old boy.
Last edited by Skeeve on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Julian Assange can be arrested in Ecuador embassy, UK warns

Postby Skeeve » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 pm

...and it looks like that threat was real too
Julian Assange can be arrested in Ecuador embassy, UK warns

Julian Assange Embassy Battle: UK Threatens To Revoke Ecuadorian Diplomatic Status, Vows To Arrest
LONDON, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Britain said on Thursday that any decision by Ecuador to give Julian Assange political asylum wouldn't change a thing and that it might still revoke the diplomatic status of Quito's embassy in London to allow the extradition of the WikiLeaks founder.

The high-profile Australian former hacker has been holed up inside the red-brick embassy in central London for eight weeks since he lost a legal battle to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning over rape allegations.

Britain's tough talk on the issue takes what has become an international soap opera to new heights since Assange angered the United States by publishing secret U.S. diplomatic cables on his WikiLeaks website. It may also raise difficult questions for London about the sanctity of embassies' diplomatic status.
Ya think?
"It is too early to say when or if Britain will revoke the Ecuadorean embassy's diplomatic status," a Foreign Office spokesman said. "Giving asylum doesn't fundamentally change anything."
Quito bristled at Britain's warning.
"We want to be very clear, we're not a British colony. The colonial times are over," Ecuadorean Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said in an angry statement after a meeting with President Rafael .
Oh yea! Good show, good show old chap!
Britain's threat to withdraw diplomatic status from the Ecuadorean embassy drew criticism from some former diplomats who said it could lead to similar moves against British embassies.

"I think the Foreign Office have slightly overreached themselves here," Britain's former ambassador to Moscow, Tony Brenton, told the BBC.

"If we live in a world where governments can arbitrarily revoke immunity and go into embassies then the life of our diplomats and their ability to conduct normal business in places like Moscow where I was and North Korea becomes close to impossible."
Dont bother them with reality, sheesh.

Skeeve

UPDATE:I think the UK is really going to do it.

Postby Skeeve » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 pm

As Ecuador Grants Assange Asylum, Former UK Ambassador Says Embassy Raid Is Coming
As Ecuador puts its weight behind protecting Julian Assange, tension is building in the tug-of-war between the small South American country and the United Kingdom over the WikiLeaks founder’s fate. And according to one former UK ambassador, it might be about to reach a breaking point.
Craig Murray, a former ambassador to Uzbekistan, writes that he “returned to the UK today to be astonished by private confirmation from within the FCO that the UK government has indeed decided – after immense pressure from the Obama administration – to enter the Ecuadorean Embassy and seize Julian Assange.”

“This will be, beyond any argument, a blatant breach of the Vienna Convention of 1961, to which the UK is one of the original parties and which encodes the centuries – arguably millennia – of practice which have enabled diplomatic relations to function,” Murray added.

From another post buy this guy...
Taken from http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/ ... illegally/ which is currently getting lots of hits and may be down.
America’s Vassal Acts Decisively and Illegally
by craig on August 16, 2012 11:30 am in Uncategorized
I returned to the UK today to be astonished by private confirmation from within the FCO that the UK government has indeed decided – after immense pressure from the Obama administration – to enter the Ecuadorean Embassy and seize Julian Assange.

This will be, beyond any argument, a blatant breach of the Vienna Convention of 1961, to which the UK is one of the original parties and which encodes the centuries – arguably millennia – of practice which have enabled diplomatic relations to function. The Vienna Convention is the most subscribed single international treaty in the world.

The provisions of the Vienna Convention on the status of diplomatic premises are expressed in deliberately absolute terms. There is no modification or qualification elsewhere in the treaty.

Article 22

1.The premises of the mission shall be inviolable. The agents of the receiving State may not enter
them, except with the consent of the head of the mission.
2.The receiving State is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises
of the mission against any intrusion or damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the
mission or impairment of its dignity.
3.The premises of the mission, their furnishings and other property thereon and the means of
transport of the mission shall be immune from search, requisition, attachment or execution.

Not even the Chinese government tried to enter the US Embassy to arrest the Chinese dissident Chen Guangchen. Even during the decades of the Cold War, defectors or dissidents were never seized from each other’s embassies. Murder in Samarkand relates in detail my attempts in the British Embassy to help Uzbek dissidents. This terrible breach of international law will result in British Embassies being subject to raids and harassment worldwide.

The government’s calculation is that, unlike Ecuador, Britain is a strong enough power to deter such intrusions. This is yet another symptom of the “might is right” principle in international relations, in the era of the neo-conservative abandonment of the idea of the rule of international law.

The British Government bases its argument on domestic British legislation. But the domestic legislation of a country cannot counter its obligations in international law, unless it chooses to withdraw from them. If the government does not wish to follow the obligations imposed on it by the Vienna Convention, it has the right to resile from it – which would leave British diplomats with no protection worldwide.

I hope to have more information soon on the threats used by the US administration. William Hague had been supporting the move against the concerted advice of his own officials; Ken Clarke has been opposing the move against the advice of his. I gather the decision to act has been taken in Number 10.

There appears to have been no input of any kind from the Liberal Democrats. That opens a wider question – there appears to be no “liberal” impact now in any question of coalition policy. It is amazing how government salaries and privileges and ministerial limousines are worth far more than any belief to these people. I cannot now conceive how I was a member of that party for over thirty years, deluded into a genuine belief that they had principles.
So skeptics, anyone think this (breaking into an embasy if they do it) is a bit of over kill, just to extridite a guy for 'questioning?'

Grammatron

Re: Ecuador Grants Assange Asylum; UK Threatens to Storm Emb

Postby Grammatron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm

I don't know about international diplomatic law to comment, but in my opinion this seems like a Pandora's box that should not be opened.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

En folkefiende

Postby En folkefiende » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Grammatron wrote:I don't know about international diplomatic law to comment, but in my opinion this seems like a Pandora's box that should not be opened.

Storming an Embassy does seem, well, extreme, to say the least. And it's a very bad precedent.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, it's about time they put Julian Assange in an Asylum.

..........What? Did I skim too fast and misread something?
Such potential!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 pm

As I understand things, Assange is wanted for sex crimes, not his interwebz activity.

Maybe the Ecuadoreans think rape is OK, maybe not. I doubt he'd be any more likely to be extradited from Sweden than he would from Britain without very good cause.

Linky.

But what do I know?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 am

Ok, so I have a few minutes at the moment, so I read everything, and I'm confused.

Who should I be rooting for?

I normally root for the underdog, but.....well.......

Is Julian Assange a champion of truth? Exposing the dark underworld secret dealings of the 1st World countries? Or is he the ultimate troll, deliberately trying to fan the flames of chaos? Is Ecuador a David that's standing up the UK Goliath? Are they making a brave stand against a superpower that they couldn't hope to defeat militarily, or are they a stupid punk-ass little country that's aiding and abetting an international criminal who's using them to try to kick off WWIII?

Please don't tell me this is all going to play out like Star Wars I, II, and III. I couldn't bare it. :(
Such potential!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:02 am

asthmatic camel wrote:As I understand things, Assange is wanted for sex crimes, not his interwebz activity.

Maybe the Ecuadoreans think rape is OK, maybe not. I doubt he'd be any more likely to be extradited from Sweden than he would from Britain without very good cause.

Linky.

But what do I know?

I doubt that it's only about sex crimes. Why the hell would Obama strongly urge the UK to storm the Ecuadorian embassy to get this guy. That's absurd. It's not like he's Osama Bin Laden. :|
Such potential!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 am

There will be blood.

Ecuador granted him asylum. He is their problem now.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 am

Pyrrho wrote:There will be blood.

Ecuador granted him asylum. He is their problem now.

Agreed, so why are the brits talking about going into an embasy to arrest him, that is just plain dumb...

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:36 am

Because the fearless leaders of the world are insane.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:55 am

The simplest and most humane solution would be, of course, to let them take him to Ecuador than nuke Ecuador from space . . . just to be sure.

--J. "They Can Bill Me!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 am

No, the simplest solution would be to force him to stay in Ecuador.

The embassy is the building with the swimming pool.
Such potential!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 am

I doubt that there's any possibility of the embassy being stormed. William Hague said that if Assange left the embassy, he would be arrested and sent to Sweden, where he is wanted for alleged sex crimes.

Linky
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:55 am

Correa Says Assange May Stay in Ecuador Embassy Indefinitely

“The problem is that they aren’t going to give safe passage,” Correa said today in an interview on local radio channel, Radio Loja. “Julian Assange could stay indefinitely in our embassy.”

About that embassy:
Julian Assange living in ‘social incarceration’ in Equador’s London embassy

The Ecuadorean embassy consists of a ground floor apartment, some 10 rooms in all, inside an imposing red-brick apartment block in London’s posh Knightsbridge area, practically next door to the luxury department store Harrods.

The mission has no bedrooms or guest accommodation. People who have visited Assange say he is living in an office that has been outfitted with a bed, access to a phone and a connection to the Internet.

A shower has been installed, and the embassy has a small kitchenette. Assange also has received deliveries of pizza and other take-out food.

“It’s not quite the Hilton,” said Gavin MacFadyen, a supporter who has met with Assange at the embassy.

A treadmill provides some opportunity for exercise, and a sun lamp helps compensate for the lack of natural light.

Assange’s mother Christine has said that visiting friends “turn the music on and encourage him to dance with them.”

But Christine Assange has expressed fears for her son’s health. She said last month that he was facing severe stress after weeks of confinement and more than 18 months fighting legal battles while under strict bail conditions in Britain.

“He is under a lot of stress and it’s been long-term stress now for nearly two years and in conditions which are similar to detention,” she said.

Experts say the conditions are bound to take a psychological toll.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 am

Bruce wrote:No, the simplest solution would be to force him to stay in Ecuador.

If he made it to Ecuador he could probably then go on to another country, such as Australia, where he is a citizen.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:42 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Bruce wrote:No, the simplest solution would be to force him to stay in Ecuador.

If he made it to Ecuador he could probably then go on to another country, such as Australia, where he is a citizen.

My guess would be Venezuela.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

... a bed, access to a phone and a connection to the Internet.

Everything he needs, then. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:39 pm

I don't see the problem, he's doing better than I. /shrug
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”