Official North Korea Appreciation Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Official North Korea Appreciation Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Doctor X wrote:Perhaps they should be shot down.

--J.D.
I thought about that, but it might not work. Then again, why not? If it doesn't work, do we lose face? North Korea had many missile tests that were failures, but they kept trying until eventually they got it right.

Actually, I kind of like the idea. We are acting collectively like we are to frightened to do anything about it. Shooting down one of their missiles might send the right sort of message. You can't succeed if you are paralyzed by fear of failure. You have to keep trying until you succeed.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Perhaps they should be shot down.

--J.D.
I thought about that, but it might not work. Then again, why not? If it doesn't work, do we lose face? North Korea had many missile tests that were failures, but they kept trying until eventually they got it right.

Actually, I kind of like the idea. We are acting collectively like we are to frightened to do anything about it. Shooting down one of their missiles might send the right sort of message. You can't succeed if you are paralyzed by fear of failure. You have to keep trying until you succeed.
I think they should give it a shot. And if it doesn't work, deflate a sub.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:11 pm

No sense in shooting it if it's going to miss Japan.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 pm

So if someone waves a gun at you, you do nothing because you just assume it is a banana?

:freedom:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Doctor X wrote:So if someone waves a gun at you, you do nothing because you just assume it is a banana?

:freedom:

--J.D.
If someone 10 miles away waves a gun at me I ignore them, yes.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:31 pm

And when the bullet actually passes by your nose?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL Champions!!!

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 pm

They're going to keep launching missiles if there are no ramifications and nothing to stop them. And who's to say one of them won't "accidentally" go off course?
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Doctor X wrote:And when the bullet actually passes by your nose?

--J.D.
Well if it's from 10 miles away I'd call the Guinness book of records

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Mentat wrote:They're going to keep launching missiles if there are no ramifications and nothing to stop them. And who's to say one of them won't "accidentally" go off course?
Then we deal with the problem.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm

The problem is after your head is blown off it is too late to "deal with the problem."

A missile is also not a gun.

You analogy fails.

And your feet stink.

I will pray for you.

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Doctor X wrote:The problem is after your head is blown off it is too late to "deal with the problem."
Certainly, but I do not see an alternative. North Korea is basically annoyance that China -- and to a much lesser degree Russia -- aim at USA/South Korea/Japan. I think we should annoy them with proxies in return. I just don't know how that would work, park the 7th fleet next to every Chinese man-made island?
A missile is also not a gun.

You analogy fails.
:?
It's your analogy
And your feet stink.

I will pray for you.

--J.D.
I'm just as ed made me :(

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 pm

The person firing the banana is actually standing in front of you with it pointed at your face, not "10 miles away."

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Doctor X wrote:The person firing the banana is actually standing in front of you with it pointed at your face, not "10 miles away."

--J.D.
It's a poor analogy I agree. The ICBM game of "I'm not touching you" has no solution until one side stops or someone loses an eye.

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Mentat wrote:They're going to keep launching missiles if there are no ramifications and nothing to stop them. And who's to say one of them won't "accidentally" go off course?
It already is a problem. The norks have nukes. They have missiles. They have a brinkmanship attitude driven by a dictatorship with unchecked nationalist ambition. If you want to make a cake that doesn't kill masses of people, then these are most certainly the ingredients to avoid.

For once in his life, Trump may have been in the right to match their aggression. Because if it comes down to it and some part of the Earth becomes a new country-sized parking lot, I rather it not be on our territory or our pacific allies. I like our pacific allies. They engineer all those cool electronics that work when they feel like it and waste hours of my time with system updates. Do not take away those pacific ally electronics from me, gram. Because otherwise I'm going to have to spend that otherwise wasted time brooding.
It's "pea-can", man.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Mentat wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
It already is a problem. The norks have nukes. They have missiles. They have a brinkmanship attitude driven by a dictatorship with unchecked nationalist ambition. If you want to make a cake that doesn't kill masses of people, then these are most certainly the ingredients to avoid.

For once in his life, Trump may have been in the right to match their aggression. Because if it comes down to it and some part of the Earth becomes a new country-sized parking lot, I rather it not be on our territory or our pacific allies. I like our pacific allies. They engineer all those cool electronics that work when they feel like it and waste hours of my time with system updates. Do not take away those pacific ally electronics from me, gram. Because otherwise I'm going to have to spend that otherwise wasted time brooding.
I agree. I think we all agree. But I just don't see how we can start something even if North Korea is lobbing missiles over Japan.

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Mentat wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

I agree. I think we all agree. But I just don't see how we can start something even if North Korea is lobbing missiles over Japan.
The next missile launched over or towards allied territory is to be responded as an act of war. Like it should be. Kim is already putting us on a path to war where he dictates the terms. It's getting to the point where waiting and letting them develop their new weapons systems is a greater risk than preemptively destroying their nuclear and missile capabilities. Once we pass that point, the only hope of turning back without violence is with Kim's heart growing three sizes, and I just don't see that happening.
It's "pea-can", man.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Mentat wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Mentat wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

The next missile launched over or towards allied territory is to be responded as an act of war. Like it should be. Kim is already putting us on a path to war where he dictates the terms. It's getting to the point where waiting and letting them develop their new weapons systems is a greater risk than preemptively destroying their nuclear and missile capabilities. Once we pass that point, the only hope of turning back without violence is with Kim's heart growing three sizes, and I just don't see that happening.
then the first missile, said launched, should have been considered so. Agree? Their position is that Trump is too weak, politically, and would do nothing. And they're right.

One would argue that it is not worth starting a[nother] war over. And that's the armament they had amongst themselves and ... here we are. The response should be something a little more than hoping the UN will act to write a letter of condemnation.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Rob Lister wrote:The first missile, said launched and was, should have been considered so. Agree?
Agreed.
It's "pea-can", man.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 pm

It's really up to South Korea and/or Japan to do something about this. Certainly we should support them in any way, but they have to be the ones doing whatever it is that needs to be done.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Grammatron wrote:It's really up to South Korea and/or Japan to do something about this. Certainly we should support them in any way, but they have to be the ones doing whatever it is that needs to be done.
It really isn't. Do they represent a threat to us?

Yes, obviously.

Take some measure that is meaningful. I would deflate every sub they have underway. Then as an extra bonus, sink every other boat out of port.

That might be why nobody voted for me.