Official North Korea Appreciation Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: Official North Korea Appreciation Thread

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:21 am

Another NYT piece:
U.S. in Direct Communication With North Korea, Says Tillerson

BEIJING — The Trump administration acknowledged on Saturday for the first time that it was in direct communication with the government of North Korea over its missile and nuclear tests, seeking a possible way forward beyond the escalating threats of a military confrontation from both sides.

“We are probing, so stay tuned,” Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson said, when pressed about how he might begin a conversation with Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, that could avert what many government officials fear is a significant chance of open conflict between the two countries.

“We ask, ‘Would you like to talk?’ We have lines of communications to Pyongyang — we’re not in a dark situation, a blackout,” he added. “We have a couple, three channels open to Pyongyang,” a reference to North Korea’s capital.
[…]
Speaking at the residence of the United States ambassador to Beijing after a meeting with China’s top leadership, Mr. Tillerson, the former chief executive of Exxon Mobil and a newcomer to diplomacy, was cagey about whether the inquiries yielded anything, or seem likely to.

But hours after he left China, his spokeswoman, Heather Nauert, responding to news reports of Mr. Tillerson’s comments, said in a statement that “despite assurances that the United States is not interested in promoting the collapse of the current regime” or sending American forces into the country, “North Korean officials have shown no indication that they are interested in or ready for talks regarding denuclearization.”
[…]
His comments marked the first sign that the Trump administration has been trying its own version of what the Obama administration did with Iran: using a series of backchannel, largely secret communications that, after years of negotiation, resulted in a nuclear accord.

But Mr. Tillerson was quick to distinguish the very different circumstances of North Korea and Iran — Pyongyang has nuclear weapons, Tehran just a program that could have led to them — and then added: “We are not going to put together a nuclear deal in North Korea that is as flimsy as the one in Iran.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/worl ... erson.html

They have a direct link to Bloato's nanny? :mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 am

Well that certainly is reassuring to know! :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am

Two women accused of murdering Kim Jong Nam plead not guilty

Trial is beginning.

Personally, I have not yet seen any reason to doubt their defense, nor have I heard that their story has been inconsistent or changed, as you might expect were it not true.
But representatives of Doan and Aisyah said the two women were duped into thinking that they were participating in a prank TV show.
Two people who spoke to Aisyah while she was in custody said she believed the was rubbing a substance similar to baby oil or a lotion on Kim's face, as part of a prank.
Of course, the prosecution may have more evidence than I am aware of, but so far their story seems plausible.
If true, it's a really diabolical murder plot. It's diabolical either way, but more so if they managed to dupe two naive young women into carrying it out by pretending it was all part of a TV prank show (and shows sort of like that really do exist).
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Just wonder how they survived handling the contact poison if they thought it was a harmless prank. :?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Rubber gloves I suppose. Not because they knew it was a deadly poison but just to keep their hands from getting greasy. I don't know if they were in fact just naive dupes, I just can't seem to rule it out. I guess that's something for the prosecutor to cross examine them on.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am

US News wrote:Egypt Ordered 30,000 Weapons From North Korea: Report

A U.N. investigation uncovered an arrangement between Egypt and North Korea in which Egyptian business executives ordered millions of dollars worth of rockets from North Korea for their country's military, according to U.N. officials and Western diplomats familiar with the findings, The Washington Post reported.

The business executives planned to keep the transaction hidden, but an investigation was prompted in August after a secret message was sent from Washington, D.C., to Cairo warning of a vessel headed toward the Suez Canal. The ship was flying Cambodian colors but had left from North Korea and was carrying a North Korean crew. Its cargo was hidden by large, heavy tarps.

Once the ship entered Egyptian waters, customs agents boarded and discovered a stockpile of more than 30,000 rocket-propelled grenades worth $23 million concealed underneath bins of iron ore. The U.N. said it was the "largest seizure of ammunition in the history of sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea," according to The Post.

This incident is the latest in Egypt's sanctions-defying acts and serves as a critical financial lifeline to North Korea, which is facing tough economic sanctions from the U.N. following its testing of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... rea-report

Now really, with all the money the US gives to the Egyptian military regime, they really could buy there. :mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am

Witness wrote:
US News wrote:Egypt Ordered 30,000 Weapons From North Korea: Report

A U.N. investigation uncovered an arrangement between Egypt and North Korea in which Egyptian business executives ordered millions of dollars worth of rockets from North Korea for their country's military, according to U.N. officials and Western diplomats familiar with the findings, The Washington Post reported.

The business executives planned to keep the transaction hidden, but an investigation was prompted in August after a secret message was sent from Washington, D.C., to Cairo warning of a vessel headed toward the Suez Canal. The ship was flying Cambodian colors but had left from North Korea and was carrying a North Korean crew. Its cargo was hidden by large, heavy tarps.

Once the ship entered Egyptian waters, customs agents boarded and discovered a stockpile of more than 30,000 rocket-propelled grenades worth $23 million concealed underneath bins of iron ore. The U.N. said it was the "largest seizure of ammunition in the history of sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea," according to The Post.

This incident is the latest in Egypt's sanctions-defying acts and serves as a critical financial lifeline to North Korea, which is facing tough economic sanctions from the U.N. following its testing of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... rea-report

Now really, with all the money the US gives to the Egyptian military regime, they really could buy there. :mrgreen:
The question is, who in Egypt was buying it? Could it be that certain corrupt officials were working with terrorists?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Probably one group that wants to oust another.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:09 am

CNN Tech wrote:Russia just gave North Korea's internet a big boost

Russian state-owned company TransTeleCom has provided a new internet connection to Kim Jong Un's regime, according to North Korea monitoring project 38 North. Cybersecurity experts have also confirmed the new Russian link.

The move strengthens North Korea's cybersecurity capabilities at a time of heightened tensions with the U.S. -- and also reduces its reliance on China.

Previously, North Korean internet traffic was funneled through one sole link, provided by Chinese telecommunications firm China Unicom, according to experts. Now, it's got some backup from Russia.
[…]
TransTeleCom is owned by Russia's state-run railway company and has fiber optic cables that follow all the country's main train lines, including all the way up to the North Korean border.

By providing internet traffic for Kim's regime, Russia gains more influence with Pyongyang and the ability to peer into North Korean internet traffic.

"It's a win-win for Russia," Boland said.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/02/technol ... rnet-link/

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:57 am

The Telegraph wrote:Kim Jong-un promotes sister to politburo

Kim Jong-un, the North Korean dictator, has appointed his sister to the politburo, the most powerful body in the isolated regime's ruling party.

28-year-old Kim Yo-jong, who was in January subjected to a US Treasury blacklist for North Korea's human rights abuses, will replace Mr Kim's aunt, Kim Kyong-hee, who is believed to be seriously ill.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... politburo/

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 am

Can you believe this shit?

N.Korea Hacked Seoul-Washington War Plans Last Year

They don't want me to quote them, so I won't, but if the article is correct, this is just inexcusable negligence. It would be like if the Nazis intercepted the plans for D-Day. Private companies getting hacked is one thing, but the military's most sensitive war plans? Come on.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:07 am

There really is no such thing as computer security, except in the sense that locks keep honest people honest.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 am

'as Trumped nuked 'em yet?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Newsweek wrote:South Korea 'Blackout Bombs' Can Take Down Pyongyang Without Firing a Shot

The South Korean military is developing a new weapon to fight North Korea’s growing nuclear capabilities.

Seoul’s Agency for Defense Development (ADD) has acquired the technology to build graphite bombs, non-lethal weapons that can take down North Korea’s power system in case of a war, according to military sources who spoke to South Korea’s news agency Yonhap on Sunday.
[…]
Known as “blackout bombs,” the warheads can be dropped by a plane over power stations. A form of cluster bombs, they split into several canister-like “sub-munitions,” which in turn release carbon graphite filaments that short-circuit the electricity supplies.

The bombs were first used by the U.S. Navy in 1991 to black out power supply in Iraq during the first Gulf War. They were later also deployed against Serbia during the Balkan conflict in 1999.

After their use in Kosovo, NATO spokesperson Jamie Shea said that the bomb’s impact is mostly psychological, as the targeted country feels literally and figuratively powerless. “We can turn the power off whenever we need to and whenever we want to," Shea told the BBC at the time.
http://www.newsweek.com/south-korea-bui ... hot-680465

Ah, the Wunderwaffen:mrgreen:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Rubber gloves I suppose. Not because they knew it was a deadly poison but just to keep their hands from getting greasy. I don't know if they were in fact just naive dupes, I just can't seem to rule it out. I guess that's something for the prosecutor to cross examine them on.

Previously unreleased airport security video shows that the women accused of murdering the half-brother of North Korea’s dictator hurried to separate restrooms immediately after appearing to smear liquid on his face, actions police said demonstrated the pair were well-trained and knew they had a poisonous substance on their hands that needed to be washed off.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-video- ... 1507713887

Just a short snip avail because I don't give them money. But I have to give kudo's to WSJ for their ability to keep me from copy/pasting. They thwarted noscript, uBlock and Ghostery in keeping me from c&p'ing their content. I had to resort to view source.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Rubber gloves I suppose. Not because they knew it was a deadly poison but just to keep their hands from getting greasy. I don't know if they were in fact just naive dupes, I just can't seem to rule it out. I guess that's something for the prosecutor to cross examine them on.

Previously unreleased airport security video shows that the women accused of murdering the half-brother of North Korea’s dictator hurried to separate restrooms immediately after appearing to smear liquid on his face, actions police said demonstrated the pair were well-trained and knew they had a poisonous substance on their hands that needed to be washed off.

Just a short snip avail because I don't give them money. But I have to give kudo's to WSJ for their ability to keep me from copy/pasting. They thwarted noscript, uBlock and Ghostery in keeping me from c&p'ing their content. I had to resort to view source.
You can also run it through archive.is and it'll thwart WSJ

http://archive.is/7729v

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

You can also run it through archive.is and it'll thwart WSJ

http://archive.is/7729v
I already had this discussion with Mentat and he failed to do my bidding.
http://skepticalcommunity.com/forums/vi ... ve#p885574
I had to let him go.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:23 am

[youtube][/youtube]

You can pan and tilt with the thingy top left.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:13 pm

US Supersonic Bombers Send Kim Jong Un A Message With Earthshaking Flyby
Daily Caller

Synopsis: Supersonic at treetop level.

Analysis: Saber rattling, almost literally.

This shit's getting serious. :|
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:US Supersonic Bombers Send Kim Jong Un A Message With Earthshaking Flyby
Daily Caller

Synopsis: Supersonic at treetop level.

Analysis: Saber rattling, almost literally.

This shit's getting serious. :|
At 500 ft. that must be Murican trees. And the article doesn't say the low flyby was supersonic, only that the spectators could hear the engines – small wonder. :roll:

And I was already hoping that Bloato's windows had been shattered, preferably at night. Sigh!