Re: Official North Korea Appreciation Thread

Post by ed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Based on new information

- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:56 am

That's a bit out of date.
2016 GDP was
27,538 South Korea
583 Dark Korea

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 am

Mail Online wrote:Little Britain... on the most dangerous border in the world: Inside the bizarre 'English Village' featuring a pub, red phone box and replica Stonehenge just a few hundred yards from North Korea

An English pub, red postboxes, Queen's Guard soldiers guarding the town hall, castle walls and a perfect view of 'Stonehenge'.

This isn't a village in the Wiltshire countryside - but a town on one of the most dangerous borders in the world.

The bizarre 'English Village' was built on the edge of South and North Korea in a town called Paju, 30 miles north of Seoul.

The model education town is based on everything celebrated in Great Britain - even the local pub serves fish and chips and warm beer.

But while the quaint surrounds have proved a hit with tourists and students, it is just a few hundred yards from the secretive North, where Kim Jong-un rules with an iron fist.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... world.html (Lots of pics.)

[Image rehosted.]

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat May 12, 2018 2:45 am

They have 'tricity! :o

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Sat May 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Well, it has to be visible to air traffic.

Oh, wait, other than military and a few commercial flights, there is no air traffic. North Korean air traffic controller must be an easy job.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat May 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Yea, but it pays good.

Three meals of dirt a day, a cold place to shit and no need for shoes.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 am

You forget about tracking all the golf balls the Lone Fat Boy . . . er . . . Dear Leader hits into space!

SPACE!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon May 14, 2018 2:53 am

I’m sure millions of South Koreans are already on it, but I think there’s going to be some serious money made if North Korea actually opens up. Unfortunately, while I have solid Japanese, I think I’m too old (and too lazy) to learn Korean. I may have to settle for mentioning “Trump’s Korean peace” to my left wing friends as often as possible.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 14, 2018 3:14 am

I thought all the Koreans spoke Japanese.

何?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon May 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Doctor X wrote:I thought all the Koreans spoke Japanese.

何?

--J.D.
I'm sure they could if they really wanted to.

They're just too stubborn and unappreciative of everything Japan's done for them.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Indeed, as part of her Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Zone, the Empire of Japan gave thousands, if not tens of thousands of young Korean women military jobs!

The Koreans have even shown their appreciation, right outside of the Empire's embassies.

The ass-raping Chinese have also shown their appreciation for all the Empire has done for them:

From 凄い日本新聞 Japan Times:
A sculpture of a 'comfort woman' is displayed in Gallery Furuto in Nerima Ward, Tokyo, on Monday. The sculpture was the prototype for a controversial bronze statue placed in front of the Japanese Embassy in Seoul in 2011. | REIJI YOSHIDA

Self-censorship is biggest threat to free speech in Japan
Is Japan a nation of free speech? How much freedom of expression do people enjoy in this country?

["Snip!"--Ed.]

A bizarre — and potentially extremely controversial — art exhibition underway at a small gallery in Nerima Ward, Tokyo, possibly offers insights into that critical question with regards to Japanese society.

All of the works on display until Feb. 1 in Gallery Furuto had earlier been rejected or removed by other exhibition organizers in Japan amid controversy, including a high-profile photo collage by artist Nobuyuki Oura that includes an image of Emperor Hirohito, known posthumously as Emperor Showa.

The rare exhibition, titled “Hyogen no Fujiyu Ten” (“Exhibition of Unfreedom of Expression”) is designed to showcase what have been considered taboos in Japan despite the freedom of expression guaranteed by the postwar Constitution.

The highlight of the exhibition is a sculpture of a Korean girl with an emotionless face, dressed in traditional clothes and sitting in a chair.

This sculpture, jointly created by artists Kim Seo Kyung and Kim Eun Sung, was the prototype for a bronze statue of a young “comfort woman” that was installed in 2011 in front of the Japanese Embassy in Seoul. That statue has rocked South Korea-Japan relations since it was erected.

The artists created the bronze statue for Korean activists calling for an official apology and compensation from Tokyo for the misery of females forced to work in wartime Japanese military brothels.

The placing of the bronze statue has drawn a huge emotional response from many Japanese. In 2012, after drawing complaints from an unknown party, the organizer of an art exhibit at Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum removed a miniature version of the bronze statue without informing the artists.

“No newspapers reported about (the statue’s) removal at that time,” said Kozo Nagata, one of two representatives of the exhibition and a professor of media studies at Musashi University in Tokyo.

“In Japan, there are taboos, in particular those over Emperor Showa, Japan’s war responsibilities and colonial rule, nuclear power plants and sexual expressions,” he said during a recent interview with The Japan Times at Gallery Furuto.

“Now I think it’s the comfort women issue that draws the strongest reactions,” he said.

Nagata, a former NHK producer, is probably one of the best people in Japan to talk about the limits of freedom of expression in the country.

In 2001 he produced a TV documentary on a mock war crimes tribunal over the ordeal of the comfort women that caused huge public debate after it was reported that two key members of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party — including current Prime Minister Shinzo Abe — met an NHK executive to discuss the program, an action branded in some quarters as blatant intervention in NHK’s editorial policy.

According to Nagata, in Japan there have been few cases in which politicians or the government used their power in an obvious manner to force artists and media outlets to change how they express themselves.

The most typical— and probably the most problematic — form of censorship is self-censorship by Japanese media outlets and art event organizers excessively worried about reactions from outside parties, Nagata said.

“What is happening right on the front line is self-censorship,” he said, adding this is also true of the controversy in which he was embroiled.

Right before the NHK documentary on the mock war crimes tribunal was aired on Jan. 30, 2001, Abe, who was deputy chief Cabinet secretary at the time, met NHK executives and demanded that the public broadcaster maintain a “fair and neutral” stance over the comfort women issue in editing the program.

After the meeting, NHK executives ordered staff to cut key parts of the documentary to water it down, including a discussion of whether Emperor Showa bore responsibility for the war.

Later, the citizens’ group that organized the mock tribunal sued NHK.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Likewise, in many cases involving the art on display in Gallery Furuto, organizers decided to voluntarily remove potentially provocative works after facing protests or complaints from right-wing elements, Nagata said.

It appears many of the organizers simply wanted to avoid trouble with outside parties and worried too much about public reaction, he said.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Thus when facing protests from right-wingers or a religious group, Japanese try to take an “unprovocative” stance and thereby avoid causing controversy, he said. Obamaありがとう[だめよ--Ed.]

Among other artworks on display at Gallery Furuto are portrait photos of former comfort women taken by South Korean photographer Ahn Sehong, who has been taking pictures of the former sex slaves for more than 19 years.

In 2012, camera giant Nikon Corp. planned to host a exhibition of his works on comfort women in Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo.

But after facing complaints and protests, Nikon suddenly canceled the exhibition.

“Freedom of expression is the most important thing in a democratic society,” Ahn said through a translator during a recent interview with The Japan Times.

“I was very happy when (Nikon) decided to hold the photo exhibition about (Japan’s) colonial rule and history. But it was later canceled. I have felt that freedom of expression has not been fully upheld in Japan,” he said. “Rather, Japan still has some serious problems (with the concept).”
Japan Times

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon May 14, 2018 10:43 pm

Doctor X wrote:Indeed, as part of her Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Zone, the Empire of Japan gave thousands, if not tens of thousands of young Korean women military jobs!
I doubt if 1 in 10 of my Japanese university students know anything about World War II beyond "The Pacific War started. Then America dropped atomic bombs on us."

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm

So slightly more than American students know.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 pm

gnome wrote:So slightly more than American students know.
Not fair.

American students know about Germans being in it.

And that the Nazis were bad guys.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Not fair.

American students know about Germans being in it.

And that the Nazis were bad guys.
You can watch lots of World War II movies in Japan about European concentration camps, Nazi atrocities, etc. Japanese war crimes ... not so much. Who knows, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. But even with the bad ol' Nazi movies, I used always want to point out to my Japanese friends, wife [now ex-wife! Ha! Ha!], etc. "Those were your allies, you know." Since I don't think they really do. As I get older, now I don't even bother.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm

We know the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

--J.D.

P.S. A documentary done in Japan by a Japanese educator demonstrated shuize's very point. Add in that the war was caused by U.S. aggression/colonialism and Hiroshima was nothing more than an attack on innocent civilians. The Chinese civilians slaughtered, Koreans slaughtered, the murder of prisoners of war . . . all of that is a mystery. Indeed, one class responded to the question of "how many Chinese do you think died," with, to my recollection, "a few thousand."

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Doctor X wrote:
We know the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
Forget it, he's rolling.
P.S. A documentary done in Japan by a Japanese educator demonstrated shuize's very point. Add in that the war was caused by U.S. aggression/colonialism and Hiroshima was nothing more than an attack on innocent civilians. The Chinese civilians slaughtered, Koreans slaughtered, the murder of prisoners of war . . . all of that is a mystery. Indeed, one class responded to the question of "how many Chinese do you think died," with, to my recollection, "a few thousand."
I was going to add that I've met students who'd never heard of Pearl Harbor and others who flat out denied it was a planned sneak attack, as "Japan would never do anything so dishonorable." But "a few thousand" Chinese is worse. With statements like that, I can almost get behind Germany's approach to criminalize holocaust denial.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 16, 2018 4:34 am

As I noted to some Okinawans who have an interesting perspective being that they are often treated as "not real Japanese" and Japanese soldiers pushed their grandparents off of cliffs, Germans made Wannsee into a Holocaust memorial, and during an event at one of the largest Allied graveyards in the Netherlands, a German general laid a wreath.

As I asked during the time, then asked the Okinawans, and I ask any who question Japanese atrocities and blame for the Pacific War, when has a Japanese general laid a wreath on an Allied grave, or in, say, Manchuria, or Seoul?

The whole "But Atomic Bomb!!!1!!" is trying to create moral equivalence when one was genocide and the other was necessary to end the damn thing. It is like modern racists trying to claim "Da Jewz[Tm.--Ed.]" were somehow responsible for the Holocaust. Like claiming Africans wanted to be rounded up, packed in the bowels of fetid ships, and sent to a place as אל-forsaken as Alabama.

Like claiming the U.S. Cavalry had to drive off those drunk "Injuns" who only drank "fire water" and scalped white women.

Wounds cannot heal if you pretend they do not exist.

雨に

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 am

@AP

BREAKING: North Korea official says country has no interest in summit with US if it's based on 'one-sided' demands to give up nuclear weapons
"...and that's that."

Headline I saw..."North Korea Surprises Trump Administration By Acting Like North Korea Again"
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.