Right Wingers and the Bundy Ranch

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Right Wingers and the Bundy Ranch

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:54 pm

I have nothing of substance to add to the debate at this time, but here a new meme for y'all.

I propose that henceforward Mister Bundy and his supporters (and whoever else you want to smear by association) be known as
The Bundy Bunch.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:05 pm

It raises an interesting point--if we're all overreacting about racist seeming words, what does it say that vowing to use human shields didn't put Hannity off first?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 am

gnome wrote:It raises an interesting point--if we're all overreacting about racist seeming words, what does it say that vowing to use human shields didn't put Hannity off first?

Buckley made it his mission to separate the kooks and the right, since the John Birch society threatened to de-legitimize Goldwater conservatism.

I say, let the kooks run wild and let natural selection weed them out. Glenn Beck? OFF TV. Hannity? Hopefully next.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 am

Rob Lister wrote:That's a bit much, Sparks. It is a civil dispute over grazing rent. Asset forfeiture of the cows is what I'm thinking. :)

Over the top? :D
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:26 am

corplinx wrote:
gnome wrote:It raises an interesting point--if we're all overreacting about racist seeming words, what does it say that vowing to use human shields didn't put Hannity off first?

Buckley made it his mission to separate the kooks and the right, since the John Birch society threatened to de-legitimize Goldwater conservatism.

I say, let the kooks run wild and let natural selection weed them out. Glenn Beck? OFF TV. Hannity? Hopefully next.

What's funny is Glenn is actually more reasonable than Sean on this particular issue. He spoke against taking up arms and asked Bundy directly what was so unreasonable about grazing fees.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:44 am

gnome wrote:
corplinx wrote:

What's funny is Glenn is actually more reasonable than Sean on this particular issue. He spoke against taking up arms and asked Bundy directly what was so unreasonable about grazing fees.

Glenn has other train wrecks he is working on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_zvKX38jG8

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Thu May 01, 2014 1:58 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... e-Seizures

The story, ranchers in Nevada say, is far from unique. Beginning in the late 1980s, BLM adopted aggressive tactics in the West, leading to large-scale cattle seizures and a disruption of life for ranchers that had utilized public lands for decades prior.

While the press has showered attention on Cliven Bundy, a polarizing man who prompted a tense standoff between Bundy's well-armed militia supporters and federal police, the struggle between ranchers and the BLM is much broader.

In 1994, Clinton Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt rushed through a total overhaul of cattle and sheep grazing regulations on over 260 million acres of land that was managed by the BLM and Agriculture Department's U.S. Forest Service, The Washington Post reported.

The 1994 “Rangeland Reform” regulations included doubling the current fees charged to ranchers for public forage and further environmental rules to prevent “overgrazing.” Opponents noted that in the runup to the new regulations, the National Academy of Scientists – a preeminent scientific authority on which federal agencies rely for expert analysis – had issued a report concluding so little was known about the condition of U.S. range lands that the new standards were essentially a shot in the dark. But Babbit forged ahead anyway.

At the time, former-Sen. Pete Domenici ripped the plan, a version of which he had defeated in Congress when it was a legislative proposal the year before. "The last thing we should do is hurry decisions that have far-reaching effects on western states," he said.

Underlying the move to raise fees was BLM's view that the fees on public lands were too low – much lower than fees to graze on private land, for example.

But as Heather Smith Thomas, an Idaho rancher, noted in a 1994 article in Rangelands, a peer-reviewed academic journal, the private grazing fees were artificially high because the government owns so much land in the West.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Like I said, this is nothing new. The issue of Federal ownership of land in our state has been coloring local politics for literally as long as I have had an awareness of such a thing as "local politics"
Bango Skank was here!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57917 ... p.html.csp

With anti-government sentiments roiling in the aftermath of Cliven Bundy’s Nevada standoff, government workers in western Utah are stripping BLM logos from their vehicles after two motorists brandished a gun and displayed a threatening sign at a federal wrangler who was driving Tuesday in Juab County.

The wrangler was driving a load of horses and burros north on Interstate 15 about 11 a.m. near Mills when a dark blue Dodge 1500 extended-cab pickup pulled up alongside the wrangler. The two occupants "told him he was No. 1 with that certain gesture," said Eric Reid, the wrangler’s supervisor at the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s Fillmore Field Office.

The pickup fell back and the wrangler continued north. A few minutes later, the pickup reappeared, Reid said. The men, wearing hoods, held up a sign, apparently scrawled on a piece of paper, that read, "You need to die." One of the men pointed what appeared to be a Glock handgun at the wrangler.

The wrangler tried to make out a license plate number, but the plate had been covered with duct tape, Reid said.

Fun times in the USA.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Why does that story sound fake to me?

Hicks flipping them off? I believe that.

Magically having hoods and the sense to cover their license plate, and catching back up? Ehhhh.

Who has a fucking hood in their truck?!?! My BS-meter is redlining. And of course these stupid hicks had their license plate covered so the BLM people of course can't tell you who it was.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 pm

It sounds like a repeated rumor passing around the BLM workers.
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm

UPDATE: Cliven Bundy emerges free, defiant after Nevada case tossed

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Nevada rancher accused of leading an armed standoff that stopped federal agents from rounding up his cattle in 2014 walked out of a courthouse in Las Vegas a free and defiant man Monday, declaring that his fight against U.S. authority is not over.

Cliven Bundy emerged to supporters' cheers, while environmental and conservation advocates worried that the dismissal of his charges would bolster "violent and racist anti-government" followers who aim to erode established parks, wildlife refuges and other public lands controlled by U.S. officials.

"We're not done with this," the 71-year-old Bundy declared in his first minutes of freedom since his arrest in February 2016.
The stunning collapse of the federal criminal case against Cliven Bundy and his sons Ryan and Ammon marked a new low for government lawyers whose work is now under review by the Trump administration. Prosecutors have faced several losses in Oregon and Nevada arising from armed Bundy standoffs over federal control of vast stretches of land in the U.S. West.

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions launched an investigation into the Nevada case last month after Chief U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro declared a mistrial. On Monday, she dismissed outright all 15 counts against Bundy, his sons and Montana militia leader Ryan Payne.

Who knows, it may keep Jeff from busting pot-shops for a while...
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm guessing Judge Navarro ain't going to get an appeals seat.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 am

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/951172009999810560

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”