The Official SC "Gun Free Zone" Mass Shooting Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

The Official SC "Gun Free Zone" Mass Shooting Thread

Post by WildCat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

This happens with enough regularity that it really needs its own thread. This morning at a FedEx facility in Kennesaw, GA a disgruntled employee shot a security guard to gain access then shot several other employees inside. And while Georgia and especially Kennesaw is gun-friendly (Kennesaw even passed a law requiring all homes to have a firearm in response to Morton Grove IL becoming the first city to ban handguns way back in the 1980s) the FedEx facility was a "gun free zone", note the sign by the door.

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Re: The Official SC "Gun Free Zone" Mass Shooting Thread

Post by Bruce » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:37 pm

I like gun free zones. It means that I'm safe from return fire if I ever get especially disgruntled. :D
Such potential!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:14 am

"Disgruntled" seems far too soft a word to describe homicidal motherfuckers who kill and injure other people because someone made the homicidal motherfucker cry.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:16 am

Pyrrho wrote:"Disgruntled" seems far too soft a word to describe homicidal motherfuckers who kill and injure other people because someone made the homicidal motherfucker cry.
That's *not* what "disgruntled" means? :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:17 am

Don't worry about me. I've been admirably gruntled of late. :)
Such potential!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:13 am

And oh my, what would the homicidal motherfuckers do if they couldn't get hold of a goddamned gun?

Just askin'..........................

(I'm betting they'd cool off and no one would die. But I could be wrong.)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:19 am

sparks wrote:And oh my, what would the homicidal motherfuckers do if they couldn't get hold of a goddamned gun?

Maybe use a bomb or set the place on fire, who knows.

Are you suggesting a ban on shotguns?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:25 am

Who.......me?

I frankly see no way out of the gun control issue. There will always be guns around for mentally disturbed assholes to use in mowing down innocents just because they can. I have no solutions that don't go far left by banning all guns completely. And that is never gonna happen. It's unworkable for that very reason. See?

I don't fucking know what the answer is.

ETA: And with each passing gun related mass shooting, I care less and less. Bring on the extinction-level event. Let's get this shit over with once and for all.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am

sparks wrote:And oh my, what would the homicidal motherfuckers do if they couldn't get hold of a goddamned gun?

The UK is big on "knife control" these days.

jacks
Title: double dipshit

Post by jacks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

At least 20 teenagers and one adult were injured, two of them critically, Wednesday morning at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, Pa., when a 16-year-old fellow student attacked them with two knives.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... igh-school

must have used high capacity knives.
A high school student in Connecticut was killed Friday morning after an attack by another student that led to a lockdown, an evacuation and yet another nightmarish scene at a school.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... at-school/

I could go on.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 am

Playing a little devil's advocate here--or is there a better word for exploring a line of reasoning to see if it winds up somewhere useful?

Those who know me here are aware I'm not an advocate of much stricter gun control. Maybe some more background checking at sale points, but that's about it.

On the question of "gun-free zones" I'd like to explore a question of risk management: what if a demented person on a rampage is not the threat a "gun-free zone" is intended to reduce--what if instead there are other adverse scenarios involving firearms on the premises? Are they a more likely threat than the more hyped scenario of "madman with a gun" and therefore is it possible that there is a net benefit, even if that offers no protection against the odd madman?

Before I dig deeper, do people catch what I'm getting at?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 am

Gun free zones are PC/marketing/pandering bullshit. I am not aware that any private statement such as this has any force whatsoever. And anyone who carries a firearm, generally, would not be terribly prone to advertising the fact (in most jurisdictions that is). In fact, if another person becomes aware that one is carrying, that could be construed as "brandishing" and get one arrested. Yes, even in Florida.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:17 pm

ed wrote:Gun free zones are PC/marketing/pandering bullshit. I am not aware that any private statement such as this has any force whatsoever. And anyone who carries a firearm, generally, would not be terribly prone to advertising the fact (in most jurisdictions that is). In fact, if another person becomes aware that one is carrying, that could be construed as "brandishing" and get one arrested. Yes, even in Florida.
In some states "no guns" signs do have the force of law if they are of a certain design, I know Texas and Illinois are 2 of them. But in the FedEx case an employee legally carrying on the job could still be fired.

In some stats, such as Wisconsin, private businesses can be held civilly liable if someone is disarmed due to such policies and is subsequently injured because they were denied the means to defend themselves.

Another aspect of such "gun free zones" is that legal gun owners will be forced to leave their gun in their car where it is far more likely to be stolen. In fact just the other day here in Chicago a 14 year old girl was killed with a gun that was stolen from a car 2 weeks ago. I wonder if the gun was left in the car because the owner had to enter a "gun free zone"?

eta: this FedEx facility made employees go through metal detectors at a security checkpoint. The first person shot was the guard at the security checkpoint.
Last edited by WildCat on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

gnome wrote:On the question of "gun-free zones" I'd like to explore a question of risk management: what if a demented person on a rampage is not the threat a "gun-free zone" is intended to reduce--what if instead there are other adverse scenarios involving firearms on the premises? Are they a more likely threat than the more hyped scenario of "madman with a gun" and therefore is it possible that there is a net benefit, even if that offers no protection against the odd madman?

Before I dig deeper, do people catch what I'm getting at?
Those with concealed carry licenses are many times less likely than those without to commit a crime with a gun, indeed they are even less likely to accidentally shoot someone than even the police. No "blue wall of silence" protecting us.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm the unpopular asshole who points out that mass shooting deaths are statistically insignificant and if we fretted over things that actually killed people it would be much more productive.

Heart disease? Pfffft

Dying from a shark bite or a deranged nutjob shooter? ZOMG 24 HOUR NEWS FOR WEEKS!!!!! SAVE ME PIERS MORGAN!!!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Mass shootings and heart disease?

Ban guns AND butter! :notsure:

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm

WildCat wrote:
ed wrote:Gun free zones are PC/marketing/pandering bullshit. I am not aware that any private statement such as this has any force whatsoever. And anyone who carries a firearm, generally, would not be terribly prone to advertising the fact (in most jurisdictions that is). In fact, if another person becomes aware that one is carrying, that could be construed as "brandishing" and get one arrested. Yes, even in Florida.
In some states "no guns" signs do have the force of law if they are of a certain design, I know Texas and Illinois are 2 of them. But in the FedEx case an employee legally carrying on the job could still be fired.
Learned something. Thanks.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm

corplinx wrote:I'm the unpopular asshole who points out that mass shooting deaths are statistically insignificant and if we fretted over things that actually killed people it would be much more productive.
But you can't point out that 90% of Chicago's murders are from minority street gangs which spring from a dysfunctional community created by poor parenting, poor schools, and failed government policies because that's racist! It's also racist to imprison those who are carrying guns illegally and doing all the shooting, because that would mean more black and brown people in jail and there's already too much of that.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu May 01, 2014 6:18 pm

corplinx wrote:I'm the unpopular asshole who points out that mass shooting deaths are statistically insignificant and if we fretted over things that actually killed people it would be much more productive.

Heart disease? Pfffft

Dying from a shark bite or a deranged nutjob shooter? ZOMG 24 HOUR NEWS FOR WEEKS!!!!! SAVE ME PIERS MORGAN!!!!
corps: For the fucking WIN!!11Eleventy.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Thu May 01, 2014 7:07 pm

The US Capitol Building is a gun-free zone.
Discuss.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.