Feminist Bullies Tearing the Video Game Industry Apart

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Feminist Bullies Tearing the Video Game Industry Apart

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit takes on GamerGate:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2015/02/13/437 ... mbles.html
The “Intimidation Game” episode begins with a decent representation of a gaming expo. A female game exhibitor is harassed by two skinny white dudes, who follow her to a bathroom and assault her. When one of the SVU detectives asks her what happened, she tells the cop “they leveled up” before the trademark “Law and Order” theme music plays.

That’s when I threw a full carton of chow mein at the TV.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2015/02/13/437 ... rylink=cpy
In the episode, a young woman is developing a game. She faces a series of online threats and abuses clearly based on the GamerGate movement, which is a fairly large group of mostly young, white guys attempting to force outspoken women out of game development and journalism through horrible abuse campaigns.

The central character seems based on the two main GamerGate targets: independent game developer Zoe Quinn and media critic Anita Sarkeesian. The character is accused of sleeping her way to her position and is the victim of unending waves of cyber attacks.

The episode soon ratchets this scenario up for dramatic effect. The developer is kidnapped and tortured by gamers who “can’t tell the difference between a game and reality.”
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm sorry, I can't roll my eyes sufficiently in response to that plot.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:09 pm

Grammatron wrote:I'm sorry, I can't roll my eyes sufficiently in response to that plot.
And it's been done before:

Gamers can't tell reality from fantasy.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 am

corplinx wrote:
gnome wrote:How to get them to piss off so that the real issue is better heard, is a good question.
They won't. They have a cult like mentality and a belief system.

You had a group of people concerned about ethics from Kotaku, RPS, etc.

You have a group who countered that with "see, its the patriarchy trying to keep women down".

That original group scratches their heads and wonders why the counter-group is mentally retarded.

So now that you have the SJWs (sorry, we gotta use some name to describe them) haunting the issue; the MRAs, the Righties, and everyone else who hates the SJWs comes out of the woodwork. They aren't concerned about the original issue; they just see another battle front against the crazies on the other side.

The mass media largely picks the story up from fax bombardments about "misogyny in gaming" and it becomes part of the narrative Anita Sarkeesian and others have been working.

Now you draw in all the people I call "people fed up with the bullshit" on behalf of the people concerned about ethics in game journalism.

It's a snowball of retards and counter-retards that picks up more people as it rolls down. You have the Original Concerned Peoples and the Informed Rationalists suddenly lumped in with MRAs, Righties, and the like. You have the SJWs, the dupes, the ill-informed, in league with more casual left leaning persons because they see Righties on the other side of the issue.

Partisanship poisons _everything_. (well, so does third-wave feminism, but that's someone else's schtick).
I think you're mostly right--but was there a #gamergate before the public accusations made by Zoe Quinn's original detractor? You make it sound like there was a group of people innocently concerned about gaming journalism and suddenly someone else starts a drama shitstorm.

I'm not saying there was nothing to the scandal, but I am saying it started with a heavy mix of personal sexual drama, and thus was practically guaranteed to start the flame war to end all flame wars. It was emotionally and sexually charged from the beginning, by my perception.

My take may be wrong--I am willing for someone with a more complete record of what was going on to correct me.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:09 am

Zoe Quinn was the first case of clear quid pro quo. We always knew that game journalism wasn't hard journalism and that they loved their early access and such. However, we never had an actual leak of "Alice and Bill from Computer Shopper get direct goods/services from John Carmack". The framing of "oh, they only care because its SEX with a WOMAN" is the most pedestrian and stupid form of defense mechanism. I guess we should hold off on the lack of standards in games reporting because the first clear quid pro quo happens to involve a vagina. It is a silly defense and I won't give it dignity. The people who crafted it are manipulative cunts relying on fear of sexism to whitewash things.

Fun Article on how ABCNews used GamerGate to push the MEESOTCHENY!!!! narrative as told by a female gamer they used in the story.
https://archive.today/8gkKn

For the TL;DR impaired:

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 am

I'm not sure it's so clear.

From the author of the original "Zoe Post":
To be clear, if there was any conflict of interest between Zoe and Nathan regarding coverage of Depression Quest prior to April, I have no evidence to imply that it was sexual in nature.
Unless it's about a different case or there's different evidence?

Also, I think you misunderstand. I don't think the sexual nature of the posting that launched it all affected the people of #gamergate particularly. I think that it drew the attention of people in general, causing #gamergate to trend and both sides to accumulate idiots, trolls, and well meaning interested parties alike.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:19 am

[youtube]ipcWm4B3EU4[/youtube]

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:31 am

gnome wrote:I'm not sure it's so clear.

From the author of the original "Zoe Post":
To be clear, if there was any conflict of interest between Zoe and Nathan regarding coverage of Depression Quest prior to April, I have no evidence to imply that it was sexual in nature.
Unless it's about a different case or there's different evidence?

Also, I think you misunderstand. I don't think the sexual nature of the posting that launched it all affected the people of #gamergate particularly. I think that it drew the attention of people in general, causing #gamergate to trend and both sides to accumulate idiots, trolls, and well meaning interested parties alike.
The cover-up is worse than the crime (as it usually is).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/706 ... html#c_4_1

What you had was a nepotism issue that the game journo insiders circled the wagons on, and you had the proof they did. They could no longer be trusted. People felt betrayed. Probably not by Kotaku since it is a Gawker site, but ARS and RPS had gravitas among tech people who were also gamers. Never have so many flushed their credibility at the same time.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:55 am

Not disputing any of that, really.

Just the idea that you can clearly identify who started the idiocy. By my reckoning it started all at once.
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:01 am

That looks pretty good. Who wrote it?

I notice the names Zoe Quinn or Anita Sarkeesian do not appear in the document. It actually focuses on real issues and not personal drama.

It appears to be more about the relationship between big game studios and the gaming press than small-fry indie developers like Quinn.

Nobody will notice though. Too reasonable. Nothing to get the howling monkeys screaming at each other.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 am

Anaxagoras wrote: I notice the names Zoe Quinn or Anita Sarkeesian do not appear in the document. It actually focuses on real issues and not personal drama.
Actually it does, but to its credit not until 2/3 of the way through the document.

I don't think anyone can deny that a problem existed before the drama.
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:07 pm

I blame my computer. I'm sure I did a search and nothing came up. Anyway, so it's handled in a professional manner, not like a howling monkey would.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 15, 2015 12:34 am

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:25 am

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Kevin_Lowe the kook who believed those Black Box Voting woo woos is totally on the side of the third-wave "feminists" who see misogyny in every game.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 am

Apparently there's this little in joke in Batman: Arkham Knight:

William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 am

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:26 pm

"Polygon, Time, The Guardian, The Mary Sue and others run story on how a survey proves a majority of kid and teen gamers today think females are oversexualized in games. Survey was a public SurveyMonkey link posted on several SJW twitter pages like Ashly Burch's and feminist Facebook and Tumblr pages"

Project Alpha all over again. When you tell people the story they want to hear, they overlook the details.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Heh. Thanks for reminding me.

Just checked the TOP thread. Still alive. :)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Last post was August 9th.

Some nice person who still has access please bump it.

Pretty please. :)