Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Gay marriage ruling needs its own thread

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Where's ed? :mrgreen:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:01 am

The Sacred Band of Thebes (Ancient Greek: Ἱερὸς Λόχος, Hieròs Lókhos) was a troop of picked soldiers, consisting of 150 pairs of male lovers which formed the elite force of the Theban army in the 4th century BC. It is said to have been organized by the Theban commander Gorgidas in 378 BC and to have played a crucial role in the Battle of Leuctra. It was annihilated by Philip II of Macedon in the Battle of Chaeronea in 338 BC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes

So nihil novi sub sole, &c.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:03 am

Should have bought some Unsullied.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Bumpity for a very good article on "how it happened" that minds changed in less than twenty years:

The Atlantic: How Gay Marriage Became a Constitutional Right.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:21 am

. . . and so it begins. . . .

What SCOTUS ruling? County clerk denies gay couple marriage license

The Supreme Court has ruled same-sex marriage a Constitutional right, but one county clerk in Kentucky seem to think her opinion is above the law. And there’s video footage to prove it.

David V. Moore and his partner have been together for 17 years and have lived in Rowan County, Kentucky for over a decade. They own property, pay their taxes and support their community. But when they went to the Rowan County Courthouse July 6 to apply for a marriage license, they were denied by all workers present.
Why? Because Kim Davis, the county clerk in charge of issuing licenses, felt the right not to “as a Christian.”

After waiting for five entire minutes without any workers asking them what they needed, workers told the couple that the courthouse would not be issuing them a license and to go to a neighboring county instead.

Moore’s friend was filming the response to the couple’s request—an act that the courthouse deemed worthy of a call to the police. Because nothing represents "Imminent Threat of Murder, Rape, and Lack of Commitment to Sparkle Motion" like having your bigotry preserved for others to see.

On July 2, before Moore and his partner’s trip to the courthouse, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Kentucky filed a lawsuit against Kim Davis, in which ACLU of Kentucky Cooperating Attorney Laura Landenwich stated, “Ms. Davis has the absolute right to believe whatever she wants about God, faith and religion.”

“But as a government official who swore an oath to uphold the law,” the statement continues, “she cannot pick and choose who [Sic--Ed.] she’s going to serve.”

Boston Pravda Cool with the Hip Kids Department

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:11 am

See there they go causing trouble again, sticking cameras in people's faces and asking them to respect equality laws that they don't want to. That's just rude. Go find someone that voluntarily wants to treat you like a full citizen, instead of bothering people who just want to unlawfully discriminate in the peace of their own government office.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Where's ed? :mrgreen:

Brilliant.

I had thought that the gay market was ripe for the plucking, so to speak. I went as far as to try for gayguns.com. It was taken with the predictable content.

What a great segment though. Disposable income, educated etc etc.
- new minimalist ethos -

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm

no one in particular wrote:But where did she stick the torch?

And how long did it remain lit after that insertion? :D

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 pm

Doctor X wrote:. . . and so it begins. . . .

This is the tactic being used in several TN counties.

HICKMAN COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – In the wake of last week’s Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, several Tennessee county clerks have decided to stop performing marriage ceremonies altogether.

One of them in Hickman County made the change last Friday.

A message was posted on the Hickman County Clerk’s Facebook page Tuesday night notifying residents of the decision. The decision drew several comments both in support and opposition.

Someone commented asking “why,” to which a reply was posted that said, “There are no budget issues that have caused this and it has nothing to do with any other county. Friday was not a coincidence either.”

So, in a nutshell, they'll be glad to issue the license, but won't officiate the ceremony.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:24 am

They can do that provided they refuse to do it for anyone else. Of course, if they are basically refusing to do their job which tax payers pay for, that will become an issue to which the simplest solution is fire the bigoted fucks and hire people who will do the job.

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:28 am

This next story could just as easily go in the Confederate thread ...

Confederate Men “Locked And Loaded” To Rescue US From Liberal Sodomite Agenda – Rev Manning
Constitution Rising

I never heard of Constitution Rising before, either. Linked from Free Republic.

Reverend James David Manning opens by saying, “There are men that are ready right now to defend the nation against the liberals in the north.” He says, “I want this to be clear, they are men, you may call them Confederates, you may call them southerners, you can call them what you choose…They are ready to defend this nation. Not only to defend their own home, their own states, that’s not just their cause.”

He continues, “They’re not only ready to defend their way of life, to defend their children from having to go to public schools where their children are taught that sodomy is right, that man with man is good and girl with girl is good, and Bruce Jenner becomes the order of the day. They’re not going to let you do that.”

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 am

Kenya gears for mass nude protest against Obama’s “aggressive” gay stance
Premium Times (Nigeria)

Kenya’s Republican Liberty Party has notified of its intention to mobilise 5,000 men and women to protest naked against President Barack Obama’s “aggressive support for homosexuality”.

The party said it has already notified the authorities of the protest scheduled to hold on July 22 and 23, coinciding with the U.S. president’s visit to Kenya.

Vincent Kidala, the party’s leader, wrote to the Police on Monday to notify the authorities of the planned protest march from Nairobi’s Freedom Corner to the streets of the capital.

He said the protest would involve “totally naked men and women” to “demonstrate the difference between men and women.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:02 am

America: "What? I thought you guys were just naked all the time anyway."
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:47 pm

gnome wrote:America: "What? I thought you guys were just naked all the time anyway."

:figamagee:

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:46 am

Despite SCOTUS telling her to go fuck herself:

Kentucky Clerk Still Won’t Issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

A Kentucky county clerk who opposes same-sex unions for religious reasons again refused to issue marriage licenses to any couples on Tuesday, opening herself to potential fines or jail time after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to consider her petition a day earlier.

In response, a federal judge ordered Kim Davis, the Rowan County clerk, to appear in court Thursday concerning a motion to hold her in contempt of his earlier order that she resume issuing licenses. The judge could impose a range of sanctions, including incarceration.

Ms. Davis also faces possible criminal charges if the state attorney general’s office grants a request to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate her.
. . . .
“We’re not leaving until we have a license,” Mr. Ermold said, according to television coverage of the incident.

“Then you’re going to have a long day,” replied Ms. Davis, who at one point said she was acting “under God’s authority.”

Ms. Davis’s office hasn’t issued marriage licenses to any couples, gay or straight, since the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decision in June declaring a constitutional right to same-sex marriage.After four couples sued her, U.S. District Judge David Bunning in the Eastern District of Kentucky granted a preliminary injunction ordering her to issue the licenses, but stayed the ruling pending appeals.

Last week, the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied Ms. Davis’s requestfor a stay of the preliminary injunction. On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court did the same, and Judge Bunning’s stay of his order expired.

In response to Ms. Davis’s actions Tuesday, the American Civil Liberties Union, which is representing the four couples, filed a motion with Judge Bunning to hold Ms. Davis in contempt for failing to comply with his order. The plaintiffs didn’t seek to have her jailed but urged Judge Bunning “to impose financial penalties sufficiently serious and increasingly onerous to compel Davis’s immediate compliance,” according to the filing.

Ms. Davis has argued that she has a right not to violate her conscience.

Then quit, you dumb Cunt.

Ms. Davis is facing criticism from some who say she has gone against Biblical teachings on marriage, given that she has divorced three times, according to licenses filed in Rowan County. Attorneys for Ms. Davis did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Oh, it is okay if you do it because "you're Special!"

“All indications have been that the courts are not very receptive to the arguments that she’s making,” said Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, in Virginia. “If the clerk continues to defy federal court orders, it’s likely that she will be held in contempt.”

Separately, another gay couple rebuffed by Ms. Davis—Will Smith and James Yates—asked the Rowan County Attorney last week to prosecute her for refusing to do her job. The county attorney referred the matter to the state attorney general’s office, which said it is reviewing the request and would soon decide whether to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate.

At her office Tuesday, Ms. Davis remained steadfast. “My beliefs cannot be separated from me,” she said to those gathered, including gay couples and reporters. “I’m willing to face my consequences, and you all will face your consequences when it comes time for judgment.”

Mr. Moore, the gay man seeking a marriage license with Mr. Ermold, told her, “You have the right to your beliefs. You don’t have the right to take our rights away based on your beliefs.”

Arian Campo-Flores WSJ

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:14 am

Doctor X wrote:Despite SCOTUS telling her to go fuck herself:

Thanks. I was going to post something about this woman but hadn't found the time yet.
I was toying with "Kentucky county clerk overrules US Supreme Court" as a title. :D

If she feels that strongly, she should find another line of work.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 am

Image I was . . . waiting. . . .

Seriously, I saw it yesterday but was busy so figured it might get mentioned. What is "significant" is that SCOTUS did the basic equivalent of what they finally did with the Terry Schiavo case: simply refuse to consider it. Issue is . . . dead. So attempts to make state laws the will provide "exemptions" and the like fall before the federal fuck you from SCOTUS.

Reversal by a higher court is not proof that justice is thereby better done. There is no doubt that if there were a super-Supreme Court, a substantial proportion of our reversals of state courts would also be reversed. We are not final because we are infallible, but we are infallible only because we are final.

Justice Robert H. Jackson, Brown v. Allen, 344 U.S. 443, 540 (1953) (concurring).

She is a hypocrite. She feels she should be able to impose her beliefs on others and continue to enjoy the benefits of her employment. In another article she mentions "it is not much"--$80,000 a year--and her husband-ex-husband-husband fear the fines from contempt.

Then quit. Get another job.

That will eventually happen. Then she will be a martyr in her own mind and in the equally empty-skulled bigots.

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 am

Doctor X wrote:
We are not final because we are infallible, but we are infallible only because we are final.

Justice Robert H. Jackson, Brown v. Allen, 344 U.S. 443, 540 (1953) (concurring).

Excellent! The Pope could say that, but he's just infallible (and it would Undermine the Faith, or something).

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:10 am

It is one of my favorite quotes. He also famously dissented on the case regarding the compulsory internment of Japanese-American citizens during WWII [Korematsu v. United States, 323 U.S. 214, 242-45 (1944)--Ed.].

In America--USA!USA!USA!--a person has a right to be a bigot. A fool. Even a Cunt. He does not have the right to impose such on others. This is all this issue has been about: trying to force others to believe as one believes. You see this in the apologetics expressed by her lawyers. They continue to claim homosexuality is an aberration of some sort.

To which I ask: "Who the fuck cares?"

Let us return to our Good Ol' Days, when everything was Great and Awesome [Without the internet.--Ed.] Shhh! [Without your ability to stream questionably legal videos involving goats and Lister's Mom.--Ed.] Shut up! . . . when we had Star Trek Classic and Frank Gorshin taught us about racism.

Imagine if I could demonstrate that "black people" result from an abnormal expression of melanin. They are, therefore, an "aberration!" In fact, we can treat this mutation in utero to prevent the birth of further "black people."

Do living black people lose their rights?

Now reverse it: what if I could show "white people" result from a similar mutation?

The answer of course is mutations that effect skin color have nothing to do with whether or not one is a homo sapien.

Further, the lady in Washington who wants to pretend she is black does not lose any of her rights as a U.S. citizen. Her "blackness" is her "choice."

So I frankly do not give a shit whether homosexuality is "inerrant," or "a choice"1--it is none of my fucking business and none of anyone else's fucking business.

--J.D.

1It is much more complicated than that, of course, not . . . that there is anything wrong with It . . . It is a jigsaw, It is purple haze, It never stays in one place, It's just a passing phase. . . .

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:49 am

↑ That's the problem with all these righteous cockroaches: as you say, they want to impose their own Weltanschauung, and they always crawl back when swatted. Tiresome in the extreme.

À propos whiteness/blackness and ye good olde XIXth c. racism, somebody (can't remember who) made the amusing observation that chimpanzees have:
– white skin;
– narrow lips;
– straight hair.
Take that, Caucasians! :twisted:

So racists are invariably members of the Master Race, believers the Chosen Ones, conspirationists Truth Wielders; and simply ignoring them is already criticism enough to get them upset.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”