Im Osten nichts Neues

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Im Osten nichts Neues

Post by Witness » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 am

The Guardian wrote:Turkish court asks 'Gollum experts' if Erdoğan comparison is insult

The trial of a Turkish man accused of insulting the president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, by comparing him to Gollum has been adjourned so that a group of experts can study JRR Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings character, Turkish media has reported.

Bilgin Çiftçi was fired from his job at Turkey’s public health service in October after sharing images comparing Erdoğan’s facial expressions to those of Gollum.

According to a report in the daily newspaper Today’s Zaman, a court in Aydın has adjourned Çiftçi’s trial as the chief judge had not seen the Lord of the Rings films. The court-appointed experts have reportedly been asked to determine whether the comparison is indeed an insult.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... son-insult
He may get 4 years.

(I have some more Eastern weirdness I'll distill in this thread.)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Im Osten nichts Neues

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:03 am

Yet, no one got arrested for drawing George the Younger as a monkey--"Curious George" being a favorite--or Bill Clinton as a bloated pig.

Obama--well . . ."It's Complicated"--you cannot really draw him as an animal what with the long racist history of doing just that to black people. Still, he is a thin man, unable to fill his own clothes, with "Dumbo" ears.

In other words: USA!USA!USA!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Anyone here remember the song "Oh Mister President, I Like Your Nose" ? :oldman:

No fair googling. :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Well it certainly ain't flattering. But a criminal matter?

That's why I'm glad we have that free speech thing.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Yeah.

We're doing our damnest to get rid of that "free speech thing", though. I have no doubt we will succeed soon. So we might have silliness of our own in a few years

The President is entitled to a safe space too, ya know
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:57 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Yeah.

We're doing our damnest to get rid of that "free speech thing", though. I have no doubt we will succeed soon. So we might have silliness of our own in a few years
Dude, there's almost no chance of that happening.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:00 am

I look at current events and I'm not so sure. People only want free speech for themselves but they will fall all over themselves to shut up anyone who disagrees with them. Colleges, politics, online, everywhere I see people expending FAR more effort to shut everyone else up than to make their own case.

Only a matter of time before someone gets their wish
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:18 am

Yeah those cunts on college campuses and small online communities may strong arm people. But, as soon as it hits main stream there's significant push back.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:45 am

BTW, what does "Im Osten nichts Neues" mean? That's German, right?
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:15 am

Anaxagoras wrote:BTW, what does "Im Osten nichts Neues" mean? That's German, right?
A weak pun on Remarke's Im Westen nichts Neues (Nothing new on the western front, which was the usual German military communiqué.)

So for more Eastern Middle Ages:
Yahoo! News wrote:Iran orchestra barred over women musicians

Tehran (AFP) - A high-profile performance in Iran by the Tehran Symphony Orchestra was cancelled at the last minute because it was due to feature female musicians, its furious conductor said on Sunday.

Ali Rahbari said he was told 15 minutes before the orchestra was scheduled to play at a major sporting event that they could not.

"The chairs were laid out and everything looked fine," he said, referring to the World Wrestling Clubs Cup competition which opened in the Iranian capital on Thursday.

"But before performing the national anthem, all of a sudden they announced women cannot play on stage."

Neither Rahbari or the ISNA news agency, which reported his comments, detailed who "they" were.
http://news.yahoo.com/iran-orchestra-ba ... 47402.html

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:24 am

Witness wrote:I like goats!

Well, looking at that, do you not want to IMMEDIATELY rush to Iran and defile everyone of those goats women!

How DARE they TEMPT their betters MEN with their sultry instrument scratching doings!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:15 am

We won't bother to verify the quotes, will we? 8)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:22 am

Pretty sure those are all genuine quotes. I remember at least 2 of them.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:47 am

Funny, I have had Muslims try to proclaim the Qur'an accurately depicts cosmology. They miss the Flat Earth passages, of course, but since the "The Walking Qur'an" never heard of angular momentum or gravity. . . .

--J.D.

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Grammatron wrote:Yeah those cunts on college campuses and small online communities may strong arm people. But, as soon as it hits main stream there's significant push back.
Take away academia, Congress, the Administration, college campuses, major press organs, climate scientists, gun control advocates, and womens' rights advocates, you find hardly any support at all. Except for some religions.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Ben Trovado wrote:
Grammatron wrote:Yeah those cunts on college campuses and small online communities may strong arm people. But, as soon as it hits main stream there's significant push back.
Take away academia, Congress, the Administration, college campuses, major press organs, climate scientists, gun control advocates, and womens' rights advocates, you find hardly any support at all. Except for some religions.
I know you're half-joking but that's not true at all.

Congress is large and diverse on this, but for the most part no one gives a shit.

President Obama specifically said he does not want free speech on campus to turn into Maoism

Press is against it, particularly incidents like when the photographer was "muscled" out.

Not sure what gun control and woman's rights advocates have to do with this.

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Ben Trovado wrote:

Congress is large and diverse on this, but for the most part no one gives a shit.

President Obama specifically said he does not want free speech on campus to turn into Maoism

Press is against it, particularly incidents like when the photographer was "muscled" out.

The President I do give credit to -- he has been very good on this issue, and was not dragged kicking and screaming to it, either. and while I was joking, you can find advocates recently from all of those areas who have advocated anything from the other side not being allowed to talk all the way to prosecution.

But I don't seriously claim it is a majority.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:02 am

Some news from Israel.
Forward wrote:A Kippah on the Head of Israel’s Intelligence Chief
J.J. Goldberg October 8, 2014
[…]
In part this is the latest chapter in an ongoing saga of demographic change within Israel’s military. After decades of domination by secular centrists, there’s been a dramatic surge of religious nationalist youth — settlers and yeshiva graduates — in crack combat units. A decade ago, secret reports began circulating inside IDF headquarters indicating that with Orthodox youth comprising nearly a third of officers’ training course graduates, religious conservatives would form a plurality of senior field commanders within a decade. This summer they began to make their presence felt.

Exactly what that means isn’t yet clear. The generals praise their fighting spirit. But reports surface of officers and rabbi-chaplains urging the troops to a holy war against the enemies of God.

Kochavi’s departure represents something new. His replacement, Major General Herzl “Hertzi” Halevi, is the first Orthodox Jew to command IDF Military Intelligence. Together with Shin Bet director Yoram Cohen, two of Israel’s three top intelligence services are now commanded by Orthodox Jews.

That will become three out of three in 2016 if Prime Minister Netanyahu remains in office long enough to replace current Mossad director Tamir Pardo, as he’s reportedly planning, with his current national security adviser, Yossi Cohen.
http://forward.com/opinion/israel/20691 ... igence-ch/
JPUpdates wrote:Vizhnitz Rebbe Calls for Yeshiva Students to Enlist in IDF

Since late December 2012, the Vizhnitz Rebbe called on yeshiva students to refuse to show up at IDF induction centers and to refuse to be drafted. He stated his reasons as being based on the laws of modesty and an objection to the Israeli draft law.

The Rebbe has changed his ruling and instructed all of the students to enlist in one day, as reported Kikar Shabbat.

In Vizhnitz it was announced that, after many changes and a successful implementation of the provisions the Viznitzer Rebbe, and the IDF induction centers accommodating the Rav in his demands, he has instructed the yeshiva students to enlist at the recruitment offices in accordance with its requirements. This was announced Friday to the Hasidim in a formal notice. They were instructed to arrive on a special day supervised by the Yeshiva heads.

The announcement instructed those who had received a first time order to enlist: “Students who have not yet enlisted according to the first army noticeaccording to the orders of the Rebbe, as well as young men born until 27 of Tevet 5759 (01.16.1999) (although If you have not yet received first time orders), will come together on a special enlistment date (and not on other days!) for the enlistment of all students of Viznitz.”
http://jpupdates.com/2015/06/21/vizhnit ... st-in-idf/
The Rebbe
YNetNews.com wrote:New Mossad chief: Netanyahu's real foreign minister

Analysis: The prime minister's decision to appoint his national security advisor, Yossi Cohen, as the secret service's new director reflects his clear preference for secret relations with countries that have no official diplomatic ties with Israel and with foreign intelligence communities.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 42,00.html
Jerusalem Online wrote:Cohen was born in the neighborhood of Katamon in Jerusalem. His mother was a teacher and his father was part of the Irgun. He is married and has four children. In his youth, he studied at Yeshivat Or Etzion, and he joined the ranks of the Mossad in 1984.
(my emphasis)
http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/pol ... ohen-17627

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:18 am

Ben Trovado wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Ben Trovado wrote:

The President I do give credit to -- he has been very good on this issue, and was not dragged kicking and screaming to it, either. and while I was joking, you can find advocates recently from all of those areas who have advocated anything from the other side not being allowed to talk all the way to prosecution.

But I don't seriously claim it is a majority.
I suggest the vast majority of progressives agree.

Talking heads are citing a S.Car poll now 38% trump up 8%.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:42 am

Witness wrote:Image
The Rebbe

--J.D.