Im Osten nichts Neues

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Im Osten nichts Neues

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 am

Witness wrote:The Rohingya exodus hasn't interested the SC, so I'll provide a small piece:
The Straits Times wrote:Bangladesh police hunt man who married Rohingya refugee

DHAKA (AFP) - Bangladesh police were Sunday (Oct 8) searching for a man who defied a ban and married a Rohingya refugee, hundreds of thousands of whom have fled across the border to escape violence in Myanmar.

More than half a million Rohingya refugees have flocked to Bangladesh since an army crackdown began on Aug 25 in Myanmar's Rakhine state, a process the UN has described as ethnic cleansing.

Shoaib Hossain Jewel, 25, and his 18-year-old Rohingya bride Rafiza have been on the run since marrying last month, said police in Jewel's home town of Singair.
[…]
In 2014 Dhaka banned marriages between Bangladeshis and Myanmar's Rohingya Muslim refugees following claims that members of the persecuted community were attempting to wed to gain citizenship in the mainly Muslim nation.

Jewel's father Babul Hossain said citizenship was not the motive this time and defended his son's marriage to Rafiza.

"If Bangladeshis can marry Christians and people of other religions, what's wrong in my son's marriage to a Rohingya?" Hossain told AFP.

"He married a Muslim who took shelter in Bangladesh."
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south- ... ya-refugee

I wonder what the so-called "international community" is doing about Myanmar?

I listened to a podcast this morning, and what is happening there seems to be nothing short of genocide. Certainly crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Any new international sanctions? I seem to recall a few years ago, the country was starting to be accepted back into the international community somewhat and moves were made to normalize relations.

U.S. Moves Toward Normalizing Relations With Myanmar (from 2012)
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Wednesday announced its most significant moves yet to open relations with Myanmar, lifting the travel ban on its senior leaders and easing some sanctions that have starved the country of most American investments for more than two decades.

Only days after special elections that brought the country’s Nobel Prize-winning dissident, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and her party into office for the first time, the administration also said it would reopen a United States Agency for International Development office, clearing the way for an expansion of foreign assistance. It also will remove restrictions on the work of American nongovernmental organizations in areas like health, education and the environment.
E.U.:
http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countr ... s/myanmar/
Since 2011, the EU has progressively re-engaged with Myanmar, including in its trade and investment relations. It has:

lifted sanctions with the exception of an arms embargo
granted preferential access to the EU market
launched negotiations for an investment protection agreement.

On 1 June 2016, the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and the European Commission adopted a joint communication. This lays out a plan for coherent EU engagement and intensified cooperation with the country to overcome the challenges it faces.
And Japan:
Adjustment of Japan’s Policy Toward Myanmar Since Myanmar’s Political Transition
Abstract

With the realization of the milestone-like transition of the democratization process in Myanmar in 2011, the US-led western countries started to foster their relationships with Myanmar in succession, and Japan, which once had huge political and economic interests in Myanmar, would certainly not fall behind. Since the end of 2011, Japan quickly adjusted its policies toward Myanmar, carried out a series of actions in politics, economy, diplomacy and other aspects and began the process of policy implementation aiming at retaking “lost lands”, expanding interests and enhancing influence, as well “getting rid of China” and “containing China”.
(author is Chinese, fwiw)

Anyway, that was the situation a few years ago: Myanmar was seen as democratizing, and so trade relations were eased and normalized. Now there is a genocide happening there.

Rohingya Recount Atrocities: ‘They Threw My Baby Into a Fire’

These are reports from refugees in Bangladesh, and I don't know if they can be verified, but it sounds horrific. The army is literally slaughtering civilians if this is true.
COX’S BAZAR, Bangladesh — Hundreds of women stood in the river, held at gunpoint, ordered not to move.

A pack of soldiers stepped toward a petite young woman with light brown eyes and delicate cheekbones. Her name was Rajuma, and she was standing chest-high in the water, clutching her baby son, while her village in Myanmar burned down behind her.

“You,” the soldiers said, pointing at her.

She froze.

“You!”

She squeezed her baby tighter.

In the next violent blur of moments, the soldiers clubbed Rajuma in the face, tore her screaming child out of her arms and hurled him into a fire. She was then dragged into a house and gang-raped.

By the time the day was over, she was running through a field naked and covered in blood. Alone, she had lost her son, her mother, her two sisters and her younger brother, all wiped out in front of her eyes, she says.

Rajuma is a Rohingya Muslim, one of the most persecuted ethnic groups on earth, and she now spends her days drifting through a refugee camp in Bangladesh in a daze.

She relayed her story to me during a recent reporting trip I made to the camps, where hundreds of thousands of Rohingya like her have rushed for safety. Her deeply disturbing account of what happened in her village, in late August, was corroborated by dozens of other survivors, whom I spoke with at length, and by human rights groups gathering evidence of atrocities.

Survivors said they saw government soldiers stabbing babies, cutting off boys’ heads, gang-raping girls, shooting 40-millimeter grenades into houses, burning entire families to death, and rounding up dozens of unarmed male villagers and summarily executing them.
Now, I don't know if we should invade Burma, but at the very least, shouldn't the sanctions be reimposed immediately?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:30 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I wonder what the so-called "international community" is doing about Myanmar?
There's a full Wiki page on "international reactions": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... gya_exodus

Look especially at China: they want a port there and so need stability, of course not giving a fuck about the Rohingya or Myanmar's military regime.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 am

Louvre Abu Dhabi Will (Finally) Open in November

It has long seemed like the project that would never be completed: The Louvre Abu Dhabi, announced in 2007, has had an opening date that kept getting delayed, from 2012 to 2013 to 2015 and beyond.

Now, the museum is announcing that it will finally open — for real this time — on Nov. 11.

The architect Jean Nouvel designed the domed building on Saadiyat Island, a cultural district off the coast of the United Arab Emirates capital, and highlighted its surrounding water, with promenades overlooking the sea.
[…]
The Louvre has agreed to loan its name to the Abu Dhabi museum for 30 years and 6 months, temporary exhibitions for 15 years, and artworks for 10 years.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/arts ... ening.html

To have a look at the galleries: https://www.louvreabudhabi.ae/en/art/museum-galleries.

There are other projects nearby, associated with the British Museum and the Guggenheim.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 am

Witness wrote: ...

To have a look at the galleries: https://www.louvreabudhabi.ae/en/art/museum-galleries.
click ... I'm seeing a lot of graven images. :evil:
... Guggenheim ...
Aha! Zionists! :MuhammadBoom:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 am

Is Malta in the Orient? Sure!
The Guardian wrote:Malta car bomb kills Panama Papers journalist

Daphne Caruana Galizia died on Monday afternoon when her car, a Peugeot 108, was destroyed by a powerful explosive device which blew the vehicle into several pieces and threw the debris into a nearby field.

A blogger whose posts often attracted more readers than the combined circulation of the country’s newspapers, Caruana Galizia was recently described by the Politico website as a “one-woman WikiLeaks”. Her blogs were a thorn in the side of both the establishment and underworld figures that hold sway in Europe’s smallest member state.

Her most recent revelations pointed the finger at Malta’s prime minister, Joseph Muscat, and two of his closest aides, connecting offshore companies linked to the three men with the sale of Maltese passports and payments from the government of Azerbaijan.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... journalist

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am

Malta. One of those countries whose name I've heard, but wouldn't have been able to point to on a map before looking it up just now. There's usually not much news out of Malta.

Just a little chain of islands in the middle of the Mediterranean, south of Sicily. Looks pretty.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 am

↑ It's an interesting place, influenced by three continents.
The Guardian wrote:Malta offers €1m for information on Daphne Caruana Galizia murder

[…]
A government statement, issued on Saturday, called the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia, 53, whose reporting on corruption targeted the Maltese prime minister and other senior political figures, a “case of extraordinary importance”.

The statement said that, in an “unprecedented measure”, the government was offering the sum to “whomever comes forward with information leading to the identification of those responsible” for the journalist’s death on 16 October.
[…]
In the past 10 years, there have been 15 mafia-style bombings or similar attacks in Malta, and many of the crimes have gone unsolved.
[…]
FBI agents and Dutch forensic experts are helping Malta with the investigation into Caruana Galizia’s death.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... nformation

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:04 am

Egyptian authorities are using the Grindr app to entrap and arrest gay men.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/egypt-ga ... z6v4v.html
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:19 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I wonder what the so-called "international community" is doing about Myanmar?
I listened to a podcast this morning, and what is happening there seems to be nothing short of genocide. Certainly crimes against humanity and war crimes.
Oh . . . no . . . no . . . no . . . no:

[youtube][/youtube]

as Clinton taught us, if we call it "genocide," then, by various international laws, "we" as in the US and every other country, has to do something more than tell a Canadian general to, like, stand there and, like, not offend anyone chopping children up.

Yet, in a land where stopping women being shot in the head for learning to read:
in Afghanistan and ending the mass graves of children in Iraq is a "bad thing," just what do you expect a government to do? The governments--including our own from before Obama--"do not care" because the people who elect them do not care.
Any new international sanctions?
Maybe even a Strongly Worded Letter?
Now, I don't know if we should invade Burma, . . .
Quod erat demonstrandum
. . . but at the very least, shouldn't the sanctions be reimposed immediately?
Because sanctions have worked on Russia, Iran, Syria, North Korea, et cetera.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am

What should the international community do? Easy, back up their threats.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:31 am

CNBC (10/19) wrote:Viral Chinese video game measures which players can clap fastest for President Xi Jinping

Tencent's new mobile game, in which users applaud Chinese President Xi Jinping's Party Congress speech, has been a hit
The game has been played more than 400 million times as of Oct. 18, website What's on Weibo reported
China's 19th Party Congress is currently underway in Beijing
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/tencent ... peech.html

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 am

Witness wrote:
CNBC (10/19) wrote:Viral Chinese video game measures which players can clap fastest for President Xi Jinping

Tencent's new mobile game, in which users applaud Chinese President Xi Jinping's Party Congress speech, has been a hit
The game has been played more than 400 million times as of Oct. 18, website What's on Weibo reported
China's 19th Party Congress is currently underway in Beijing
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/tencent ... peech.html
Not sarcastic? :notsure:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 am

Grammatron wrote:Easy, back up their threats.
They never intended to carry them out because, by and large, their own citizens do not want their money and sons lost for "those people."

Sad, but it is what it is.

As much as I felt Bill Clinton was a waste of eight years, he did stick with the bombing that forced the various Silly Hat Parties to cease their genocide in Yugoslavia. Fine. What if he recognized Rwanda as a genocide? This is something his administration and those of other countries attempted to do.

Would the US public have supported invading Rwanda?

Rhetorical question.

--J.D.

[Edited to redact to the Textus Receptus.--Ed.]
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:40 am

Egypt Drafts a Bill Banning Homosexuality, and Imprisonment for Even Discussing It

A bill, tabled by controversial MP, Ryad Abdel Sattar looks set to ban homosexual activity in Egypt
Under the law, anybody engaging in homosexual acts faces up to three years in prison with a one-year minimum term
Those found to break the law upon release would face up to five years behind bars
The proposed law also states that anyone who calls for the acceptance of homosexuality should be jailed for between one and three years
https://www.albawaba.com/news/egypt-dra ... it-1039678

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:21 pm

I get the point.

Biscussing it is more of a danger to the established order than any undetected actual buggery.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 am

Sticking with Egypt, it's not just the homos, but also immodest women:

Egyptian lawyer says it's a national duty to rape girls who wear revealing clothing like ripped jeans
'I say that when a girl walks about like that, it is a patriotic duty to sexually harass her and a national duty to rape her,' says Nabih al-Wahsh
I guess this is a fringe view in Egypt though. He's like some kind of Ann Coulter type who says outrageous things for attention.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:24 am

↑ Anax beat me to it.
Abdul Alhazred wrote:I get the point.

Biscussing it is more of a danger to the established order than any undetected actual buggery.
Biscussing, that's cussing twice, right? :notsure:
But you're right, any discussion even is dangerous, nay, already sedition! :mrgreen:

Balfour is… uh… discussed these times.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Balfour is… uh… discussed these times.
A cult within a cult.

Because they call it "Israel" but it's not ruled by the Messiah just yet.

If the Zionists called it "New Galicia", and renamed Jerusalem "New Przemyśl" it'd be OK. :BigGrin3:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 pm

These are the "Authentic Jewry"? (It's what the sign says)
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:These are the "Authentic Jewry"? (It's what the sign says)
Many Orthodox sects claim that, but these particular folks are ==> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neturei_Karta