Brexit

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Brexit

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:18 am

I guess we still have another week to go before parlaiment votes on this thing.

The latest tack from the PM's allies:

Brexit: Gove warns of referendum if MPs don't back PM's deal
If MPs don't back Theresa May's Brexit deal there could be another EU referendum, Michael Gove has said.

The leading cabinet Brexiteer said Mrs May's deal was not perfect - but if MPs did not vote it through on 11 December there was a risk of "no Brexit at all".

He told the BBC's Andrew Marr show there may now be a Commons majority for another referendum.

Labour has said it will attempt to topple Mrs May and force a general election if MPs reject her deal.

If that fails, they will then seek support in the Commons for another referendum.

Michael Gove insisted Mrs May could still win the vote on 11 December despite dozens of her own MPs being against her EU deal.

The environment secretary told the BBC that winning the Commons vote would be "challenging".

But although Mrs May's deal was not perfect, "we have got to recognise that if we don't vote for this, the alternatives are no deal or no Brexit".

"There is a real risk if we don't vote for this deal there may be a majority in the House of Commons for a second referendum," said Mr Gove, a leading figure in the 2016 Leave campaign.

Asked if Mrs May would have to stand down as PM if she lost the vote on her deal in nine days' time, he said: "Absolutely not."

He claimed there was a "strong movement behind the prime minister" among the public.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:23 am

Michael Gove's a cunt. One of our most vicious politicians.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 am

Nigel Farage Announces New Party to Fight for Brexit!!!

Then Skank Of America could start in...

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 am

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:22 am

Either her or Mad Racist Jeremy!

Now you know what it is like to be an American!

--J.D.

P.S. Or you could go for Grove . . . as we could have gone for Ted Cruz . . . or Reese-Mogg who basically personifies "terminally constipated pompous prat." Then there is Boris! Hey, we had JEB[!--Ed.] run along with That Idiot Texas Governor and Some Guy to Debate Her Turn.

P.P.S. Is it not cute that Vince Cable is, like, "hey, guys, like, we are still here, you know, and, like, maybe, you know, consider us?"

P.P.P.S. Then you have the Northern Ireland Parties which are basically, "we are racist intolerant cunts and demand the right to stay that way!"

P.P.P.P.S. Then there is the SNP.

P.P.P.P.P.S. USA!USA!USA!
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 am

Just as an aside, what is the correct British pronunciation of "Farage"?

I was thinking it was "Farridge".

Or is it a more French la-di-dah pronunciation like an American saying "garage"?

;)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 am

I always thought it rhymes with garage.

However, now that I think about it, the British pronounce garage differently than us Yanks.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Far rah zhe. (Not sure if the last part is the way to write a soft ge) (but it’s a soft ge)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:25 pm

La-di-dah or too bloody American, then?

I have mentioned before that the Commonwealth or Puerto Rico gets a better deal than the UK ever got from the EU.

Think he'd consider it if the UK could opt out of using dollars? :BigGrin3:

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am

Brexit, a good deal… :mrgreen:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:25 pm
La-di-dah or too bloody American, then?

I have mentioned before that the Commonwealth or Puerto Rico gets a better deal than the UK ever got from the EU.

Think he'd consider it if the UK could opt out of using dollars? :BigGrin3:
Possibly. Brit watchers may remember the problems caused by the ERM.
Pound sterling's forced withdrawal from the ERM
Main article: Black Wednesday

The United Kingdom entered the ERM in October 1990, but was forced to exit the programme within two years after the pound sterling came under major pressure from currency speculators, including George Soros. The ensuing crash of 16 September 1992 was subsequently dubbed "Black Wednesday". There has been some revision of attitude towards this event given the UK's strong economic performance after 1992, with some commentators dubbing it "White Wednesday".[8]

Some commentators, following Norman Tebbit, took to referring to ERM as an "Eternal Recession Mechanism",[9] after the UK fell into recession in 1990. The UK spent over £6 billion trying to keep the currency within the narrow limits with reports at the time widely noting that Soros's individual profit of £1 billion equated to over £12 for each man, woman and child in Britain[10][11][12] and dubbing Soros "the man who broke the Bank of England".

Britain's membership of the ERM was also blamed for prolonging the recession at the time,[13] and Britain's exit from the ERM was seen as an economic failure which contributed significantly to the defeat of the Conservative government of John Major at the general election in May 1997, despite the strong economic recovery and significant fall in unemployment which that government had overseen after Black Wednesday.[14]

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 am

Instead of running around with her hair on fire for three more months, maybe May should just say fuck it, we're leaving deal or no deal. Does "no deal" mean they don't have to pay the "divorce fee" or whatever it's called?
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_divorce_bill
The EU Divorce bill (or Brexit financial settlement) is a sum of money demanded by the European Union (EU) from the United Kingdom (UK) as it leaves the EU. It is part of the current Brexit negotiations. The number is calculated as the UK's commitments after it leaves but has yet to take into account of the UK's investment in funds such as the European Development Fund.

In the WA negotiations, it is officially named financial settlement.

The UK has a 16% share in the European Investment Bank (EIB) worth £8.8bn.[1] based on data submitted by Lawyers for Britain.

In its position, the EU considers that the United Kingdom must honour its share of the financing of all the obligations undertaken while it was a member.[2] This position paper is dated from June 2017.[3]

This has no official figures [2] The bill might be quite complex to be calculated: various liabilities apart from just the core EU budget, and UK entitlement to a portion of EU assets.[2] Various figures have been provided: £50 billion (€54bn) for the Sunday Times, £36 billion (€40bn) for the Sunday Telegraph.[2]

According to Boris Johnson, European leaders can ‘go whistle’ over EU divorce bill.[4]
I realize that the "divorce bill" isn't really the main sticking point, it has more to do with the Irish border, but it's part of the deal.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:56 am

It would create a "hard border" with Ireland since Ireland is in the EU. I do not believe that Ireland, under the EU, has the power to negotiate with the UK to have the same open border it has now with both being members. It may be they cannot until "Some Time" after the UK leaves, but I do not know.

Anyways, that will cause a problem in Ireland.

As for the "divorce bill," I assume that the UK agreed to that possibility when it joined way back or over subsequent treaties. If she tells the EU to go fuck itself on that point, then I assume the EU nations will try to retaliate in a really petulant fashion that will involve future trade agreements.

This was one of these "great ideas" that no one really thought out or organized enough people who agree on the same idea. It is like a groups joining together to try to make Orange County its own state/nation/dimension. Great! Lots of votes!

Then you realize one group just wants to be another state, another group wants to be a White Only Country, another wants government paid-for drugs, yet another is biting its ass and baying at the moon, and still another actually wants Her Hillary Clinton to run again.

Or is it "Hilary?"

I keep forgetting that it is spelled, "cunt." [Stop that.--Ed.]

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 am

"The devil is in the details" as they say. The Irish border really is a bit of a conundrum. If it's not a "hard border" then in effect, anyone in the EU can just walk into the UK without a passport and also goods could potentially cross the border without passing through customs. But I keep hearing that nobody wants a "hard border" on either side, so I'm not quite sure why it is a sticking point. Unless somebody actually does want one.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 am

Every other country in the EU that realizes that the UK can transfer goods with essentially the same trade reality through the border with Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Same with the "free flow of people." So if there is none between France and the UK but there is between the UK and Ireland?

See the many problems?

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Time to work up a head of steam again about "free united Ireland"?

Just asking. :)

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 am
"The devil is in the details" as they say. The Irish border really is a bit of a conundrum. If it's not a "hard border" then in effect, anyone in the EU can just walk into the UK without a passport and also goods could potentially cross the border without passing through customs. But I keep hearing that nobody wants a "hard border" on either side, so I'm not quite sure why it is a sticking point. Unless somebody actually does want one.
As far as I recall, Ireland has not been in the schengen zone, which means there have been passport checks for EU visitors (other than the U.K.)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 pm

I mean, if the UK is going to be "a nation once again", why not Ireland? ;)

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Dead girl walking.

--J.D.