Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21744
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1410 times
Been thanked: 1234 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:10 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Charts showing the main reason for the gender wage gap:

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/19/17018380/ ... re-penalty

It's sort of a "duh" thing, except for a small percentage of households that choose to have a stay-at-home dad and let mom be the main breadwinner. That's not what most women are really looking for in a husband.
It’s not totally clear why, for example, Danish women still take the vast majority of parental leave that could be used by either parent.
Well, I think I know why that is, but they seem to think it's a mystery.
I'm guessing you mean breast feeding but there is nothing preventing a man from getting hormone treatments and taking on that responsibility. :)

If I'm reading those charts correctly, it implies that women without children have a higher earning potential than men, +4 and +2 respectively.
I think it goes beyond breastfeeding. Women are just naturally better suited to care for young children (on average of course). 94% of people who work in child day care services are women. But not because they breastfeed other people's kids. So while that's not insignificant, it's certainly not the only reason.

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat18.htm

(Maybe they should bring back "wet nurse" as a job? Would there be a market for that? :notsure: )
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 273 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Giz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Charts showing the main reason for the gender wage gap:

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/19/17018380/ ... re-penalty

It's sort of a "duh" thing, except for a small percentage of households that choose to have a stay-at-home dad and let mom be the main breadwinner. That's not what most women are really looking for in a husband.
It’s not totally clear why, for example, Danish women still take the vast majority of parental leave that could be used by either parent.
Well, I think I know why that is, but they seem to think it's a mystery.
I'm guessing you mean breast feeding but there is nothing preventing a man from getting hormone treatments and taking on that responsibility. :)

If I'm reading those charts correctly, it implies that women without children have a higher earning potential than men, +4 and +2 respectively.
I think it goes beyond breastfeeding. Women are just naturally better suited to care for young children (on average of course). 94% of people who work in child day care services are women. But not because they breastfeed other people's kids. So while that's not insignificant, it's certainly not the only reason.

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat18.htm

(Maybe they should bring back "wet nurse" as a job? Would there be a market for that? :notsure: )
Whoah, Whoah, whoah, are we talking average job preferences at the group level? I thought that, after Damore got fired, everyone had gotten the memo that was sexist?

User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 10461
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Skeeve » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:23 pm

The “Uber” pay gap? The feminists aren’t going to like the answer
Short version, male Uber drives go faster, ergo, move more customers, ergo, earn more money per hour than female Uber drivers.
Or put another way, women drive slower than men in general....
...
The Pay Gap has been debunked all kinds of times – that 77% is merely a talking point by lazy Leftists.
...former Presidents, and children feminists of all ages.
Spoiler:
Image
Then Skank Of America could start in...

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 273 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Giz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:34 pm

From a UK perspective (very similar gap to the USA):

“The hourly average pay gap on the government’s portal does not compare the earnings of a man and a woman doing the same job. Here, the gap has narrowed significantly in recent years, particularly for younger workers. Women between the ages of 22 and 29, in fact, out-earn their male counterparts, and it is only in later decades that the traditional gap starts to widen.”

https://ig.ft.com/gender-pay-gap-UK/

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71412
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3322 times
Been thanked: 1227 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Wait a minute.

Does that mean women are safer drivers?

One more sexist stereotype bites the dust. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21744
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1410 times
Been thanked: 1234 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 pm
Wait a minute.

Does that mean women are safer drivers?

One more sexist stereotype bites the dust. 8)
Insurance companies have known that for a long time.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 16844
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 2055 times
Been thanked: 2820 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:23 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 pm
Insurance companies have known that for a long time.
I read (a looooooong time ago) that women had slightly more accidents than men, but most were non-serious.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21744
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1410 times
Been thanked: 1234 times

Re: Concerned about the gender pay gap? Well are you?

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:04 am

Witness wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:23 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 pm
Insurance companies have known that for a long time.
I read (a looooooong time ago) that women had slightly more accidents than men, but most were non-serious.
That may be true. In aggregate, the accidents caused by women cost the insurance companies less money, so they tend to have lower insurance premiums.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare