Islamist Shoots up Gay Night Club in Orlando

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Islamist Shoots up Gay Night Club in Orlando

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:20 am

EvilYeti wrote:
corplinx wrote:http://archive.is/R7y9y
no top gaming figures have yet publicly acknowledged the elephant in the convention hall: The unsettling parallels between horrific displays of real world violence like that in Orlando, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Sandy Hook, Isla Vista, Charleston, or San Bernardino and the fantasy violence that fuels their multi-billion dollar industry.

TheDailyBeast goes all Hillary on E3.

Indeed. This is exactly why World War 1 was caused by Battlefield 1.

Edit: I realize not everyone is a gaming nerd. This is what we are all salivating over currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAs1ZVW-ETM

Not me. I am salivating over the new iteration of Total War.

Guess I am going to go chop people up with a pole arm or something, And I agree that getting rid of all games that aren't iterations of the Care Bears Franchise is not going to a damned thing about violence in society at large
Bango Skank was here!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:40 am

I'm playing Overwatch and sometimes I totally feel like putting on a poncho and doing a deadeye in real life.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 am

corplinx wrote:
WildCat wrote:
EvilYeti wrote:To make matters worse, cops are allowed to do things civilians are not. Like brandish a firearm and discharge a weapon within city limits.

No, they're not. Your list is nonsense, at least in Illinois.

We are used to Illinois being an alternate reality.

It's pretty typical actually. No duty to retreat, deadly force legal for any forcible felony, citizens arrest allowed for any violation other than a municipal code violation.

We have immunity from civil lawsuits too for any justifiable use of force.

eta: and despite its reputation as an anti-gun city Chicago is remarkably tolerant of civilians who use deadly force. That Uber driver last year who jumped out of his car and put several rounds of .45 into a gangbanger who was shooting into a crowd was never considered for charges. Even when the handgun ban was still in effect they wouldn't charge for self defense even when the gun was illegal. I remember one case where a convicted felon - prohibited from owning guns per federal law - shot a guy breaking into a bar. He wasn't charged but they did take his gun away.

There's a doctrine of necessity in Illinois law, which means you are allowed to do things that are otherwise illegal if it's necessary to protect yourself or others from death or great bodily harm.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:03 am

corplinx wrote:I'm playing Overwatch and sometimes I totally feel like putting on a poncho and doing a deadeye in real life.

Until the new Total War came out, I was playing XCom 2. That didn't make me want to go on a shooting spree as much as tell people exactly where to stand while THEY went on a shooting spree. But aliens (the space kind, not the illegal kind, though I suppose the space kind are also illegal) are pretty thin on the ground around here, so there were no good targets
Bango Skank was here!

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 am

I wish they'd come out with more WWII games, I hate what the CoD franchise has become with the stupid fantasy weapons and Steam servers. I still love World at War even though it's 8 years old now!

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:14 am

corplinx wrote:I'm playing Overwatch and sometimes I totally feel like putting on a poncho and doing a deadeye in real life.

I hadn't even heard of the game until I saw a clip for the movie. The movie looks interesting. All the sudden, I started seeing the game everywhere. How is it? Worth buying?
Such potential!

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:41 am

Democratic leaders came out in force on Wednesday in favor of a proposal to prohibit Americans who are on federal government terrorist watchlists from purchasing firearms. A group of Democratic senators waged a fillibuster on the Senate floor. And after presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump announced that he intends to meet with the powerful National Rifle Association to discuss a similar restriction, presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton welcomed him to the cause.

For Democrats, however, the move amounts to a strong endorsement of a system that civil liberties advocates have called a “Kafkaesque bureaucracy,” and which some Democrats have previously criticized for being secretive, unaccountable, and discriminatory.

“Over the years, this list has grown to have over 1.1 million entries. With so many different names on the list, it is not surprising that every single day countless Americans are misidentified as terrorists,” Rep. Yvette Clark, D-N.Y., said in February 2009. But after the San Bernardino massacre, and when House Republicans blocked action on a bill to bar gun purchases from those on the list this past December, she tweeted out an article about House Democrats excoriating the move.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/15/dem ... -violence/

When bipartisanship is suddenly in the news, run for the hills...

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:53 am

"The only thing dumber than a Democrat or a Republican is when those pricks work together. You see, in our two-party system, the Democrats are the party of no ideas and the Republicans are the party of bad ideas. It usually goes something like this. A Republican will stand up in Congress and say, 'I've got a really bad idea.' And a Democrat will immediately jump to his feet and declare, 'And I can make it sh*ttier.'" –Lewis Black

Truer words were never spoken
Bango Skank was here!

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 am

“You all hear it in the everyday practice of Washington. Why should it be that the word partisan is an automatic pejorative in Washington discussion? Have you noticed that the word partisan is always an insult and the word bipartisan is always a compliment? If these words, as used, meant what they normally mean, what the consensus would be saying would be the following: If it goes on like this, partisanship, will end up with a two-party system. Now I don’t believe that this is what they mean to say, but it is the journalism that they actually commit. Always look to the language. Always look to what is staring you in the face. Always look at the obvious. In any other discourse the same people would say its the proudest boast of he US, that it is the most politically pluralist country in the world - but its discourse gives away the secret. The secret is bipartisanship is to be feared because it would mean two parties and the secret is, there is one party - that is a beltway party, a Washington party, a permanent party, the party of those in power and most of those in the leadership of the Washington equip of the press are members of it and proud of it and lucky and afraid of the possibility of falling out of favour.”

Christopher Fucking Hitchens.

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:35 pm

WildCat wrote:
EvilYeti wrote:To make matters worse, cops are allowed to do things civilians are not. Like brandish a firearm and discharge a weapon within city limits.

Ok, then Chicago should be the *safest* city in America, per the NRA narrative, right?

All those good guys with a guns stopping a bad guy with a gun, right?

Just like how safe Florida is with all those assault weapons, right?

Or maybe it's just as simple as buying an automatic weapon, legally, then finding a group of people that left theirs at home and shooting them in the back.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:54 pm

gnome wrote:
hammegk wrote:On the bright side 50 fewer Hillary voters in FL is a plus.

Go away.

Yeah, not enough zeroes. Damn isis for screwing up.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:08 pm

EvilYeti wrote:
WildCat wrote:

Ok, then Chicago should be the *safest* city in America, per the NRA narrative, right?

All those good guys with a guns stopping a bad guy with a gun, right?

Just like how safe Florida is with all those assault weapons, right?

Or maybe it's just as simple as buying an automatic weapon, legally, then finding a group of people that left theirs at home and shooting them in the back.

Over 90% of the shootings in Chicago are gang warfare.

As for the others there are 5 homicides so far this year that were legal self defense.

Chicago has the lowest rate of firearms ownership in the entire state of Illinois, and a murder rate that is 7 times greater than the rest of the state. How do you explain that? Shouldn't it be the other way around? If firearms made people less safe wouldn't you expect there to be a correlation between firearm ownership rates and homicide rates? And if not, perhaps your theory is wrong?

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:15 pm

WildCat wrote:Over 90% of the shootings in Chicago are gang warfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Postby hammegk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 pm

62.3586% of statistics are made up as needed.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 pm

WildCat wrote:I wish they'd come out with more WWII games, I hate what the CoD franchise has become with the stupid fantasy weapons and Steam servers. I still love World at War even though it's 8 years old now!

Battlefield 1 is looking to be that very game.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:01 pm

WildCat wrote:Chicago has the lowest rate of firearms ownership in the entire state of Illinois, and a murder rate that is 7 times greater than the rest of the state. How do you explain that?

Straw purchases from this store...

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/06/the-vi ... -gun-shop/

...and your numbers don't consider that.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:31 pm

EvilYeti wrote:
WildCat wrote:Chicago has the lowest rate of firearms ownership in the entire state of Illinois, and a murder rate that is 7 times greater than the rest of the state. How do you explain that?

Straw purchases from this store...

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/06/the-vi ... -gun-shop/

...and your numbers don't consider that.

I have no idea what the numbers have to do with that? Chuck's is the closest gun store to Chicago, it's not surprising that straw purchasers will go there. What do you suggest be done to stop that, refuse to sell to blacks?

Now explain why Chicago has a far higher murder rate than the rest of the state despite the lowest rate of firearm ownership.

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:50 pm

WildCat wrote:Now explain why Chicago has a far higher murder rate than the rest of the state despite the lowest rate of firearm ownership.

Because you are not counting all the illegally owned guns that were legally purchased.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:53 pm

EvilYeti wrote:
WildCat wrote:Now explain why Chicago has a far higher murder rate than the rest of the state despite the lowest rate of firearm ownership.

Because you are not counting all the illegally owned guns that were legally purchased.

There's no illegally owned guns outside of Chiraq?

A straw purchase, btw, is an illegal purchase.

EvilYeti

Postby EvilYeti » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:57 pm

WildCat wrote:There's no illegally owned guns outside of Chiraq?

A straw purchase, btw, is an illegal purchase.

It's not a straw purchase until you transfer the weapon. The purchase is still legal.

Not unlike buying a six pack of beer and then giving it to a highschool kid. Get it?

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”