The Post Brexit Fallout Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Post Brexit Fallout Thread

Post by Doctor X » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:31 am

Meanwhile, one of the issues is whether or not, after the referendum, the government could end a relationship by "prerogative" without a vote in Parliament. There was a move made after the vote to basically demand that. Why is that . . . "Significant?"

Because the majority of MPs oppose Brexit. Period.

A Court Just Rules it Requires Parliamentary Approval:
The court ruling does not mean the end of Brexit.

The case was about the government's right to trigger the formal two-year process of leaving the EU without there being a vote in Parliament.

The government is going to appeal against the decision, but, as things stand, the ruling means MPs and lords will have to give their go-ahead before Prime Minister Theresa May starts her negotiations on the UK's exit from the European Union.

Theoretically, they could decide not to give the go-ahead - but, in practice, that is seen as highly unlikely given that a majority of people who voted in the June referendum voted for the UK to leave the EU.
"Highly unlikely?" Expect all of the SNP and a few Wee Parties to vote "no." Do not expect all of the Conservatives to vote "yes." Given the "Official Position" of the Cameron government was to oppose Brexit, a significant number of Conservative MPs opposed Brexit. If their constituents still oppose it . . . "all politics are local."

The winner is May. She was not a likely PM if Cameron stayed. He heir-apparent was someone else. Okay, Someone Else pissed people off, but if the party rejected him and picked May that would be like four years from now.

Labour? If they oppose Brexit, along with a lot of other MPs, May can "regrettably" accede to "the vote of Parliament," maybe make some motions about "the will" of the people only to point to more recent polls. She can then force the EU to "eat" the reforms Cameron won before the referendum along with greater control on migration.

She can then go on to more important things free of the epic headache of negotiating multiple trade deals, immigration deals, et cetera.

If Labour supports Brexit . . . they lose a major point of their existence. Then May can blame them.

I would offer popcorn . . . but the election between HitlerTrump and StalinHillary has used it up.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:49 am

OK, it's the Mail, so… :mrgreen:

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu May 31, 2018 1:44 am

Then Skank Of America could start in...

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 31, 2018 2:05 am

↑ An opinion piece (and in fact a podcast with irrelevant images), its 5 points easily condensed into 1 – 2 minutes.

And the (at least official) reality seems, to me, quite different: the EU is starting to get pissed off by the UK dragging its feet. E. g., but there are numerous other articles if you google a bit):
The Guardian wrote:UK 'chasing a fantasy' in Brexit talks, top EU official warns

[…]
The UK’s suggestion that it would seek to recover more than €1bn of contributions to the Galileo satellite project unless the European commission lifted a block on British firms being involved received a particularly strident response, with an implicit threat that such posturing could unravel the discussions.

“The EU doesn’t negotiate under threat,” the senior EU official said. “Such a request for reimbursement would be backsliding and unacceptable.”

After a bad-tempered week in Brussels, frustration is mounting as EU negotiators come to think that almost two years after the referendum the British government has not come to terms with Brexit.

The senior EU official said: “I have to say on the basis of this week’s discussions, I am a bit concerned because the pre-condition for fruitful discussions has to be that the UK accepts the consequences of its own choices.

“I am concerned that if the current debate continues, in three months’ time it will be the EU that will be made responsible for the Brexit decision. We need the UK to accept the consequences of its own decisions.

“To paraphrase The Leopard by Tommaso di Lampedusa, I have the impression that the UK thinks everything has to change on the EU’s side so that everything can stay the same for the UK.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... cial-warns

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu May 31, 2018 2:16 am

Witness, I get the sense you don't think the brexit was such a good idea....

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 31, 2018 2:26 am

Skeeve wrote:Witness, I get the sense you don't think the brexit was such a good idea....
What has my opinion on Brexit to do with my criticism of the dudes' video? :dunno:

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:20 am

From The Independent:
No-deal Brexit will make it ‘illegal’ to pay pensions to retired British expats living in EU, MPs told

Warning comes as leading service industries say they have been 'thrown under the bus' by Theresa May’s Chequers plan
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... reddit.com
Theresa May announces she will keep UK under EU laws for another 21 months, risking Brexiteer fury

The 1972 Act which took the UK into the common market will not be repealed the end of 2020 - not next March, as prime minister pledged
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... reddit.com

:De_Bunk: seems appropriate…

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Final Say: 240,000 sign The Independent's Brexit petition in just over 24 hours
More than 240,000 people in just over 24 hours have signed The Independent’s petition demanding a Final Say referendum on the Brexit deal.

Politicians backing the campaign launched earlier this week said the sudden flood of people wanting to put their names down pointed to a growing well of support for another national vote on Brexit.

Those backing the campaign included senior figures from all the major parties, such as former Tory cabinet minister Justine Greening, ex-prime minister Tony Blair, Liberal Democrat leader Vince Cable, Green leader Caroline Lucas and many others.
Ex-cabinet minister Ms Greening said: “I believe that putting the final decision on Brexit in the hands of the British people is the only way to break parliament’s impasse, and the right way to decide our country’s future.

“That’s why The Independent’s campaign is so vital and has my support – anyone who feels the same should back it.”
So their going to do it again?
Maybe?

If it passes again, then what?
Does PM May get another 2 years to fuck around?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:52 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 am

Skeeve wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Final Say: 240,000 sign The Independent's Brexit petition in just over 24 hours
More than 240,000 people in just over 24 hours have signed The Independent’s petition demanding a Final Say referendum on the Brexit deal.

Politicians backing the campaign launched earlier this week said the sudden flood of people wanting to put their names down pointed to a growing well of support for another national vote on Brexit.

Those backing the campaign included senior figures from all the major parties, such as former Tory cabinet minister Justine Greening, ex-prime minister Tony Blair, Liberal Democrat leader Vince Cable, Green leader Caroline Lucas and many others.
Ex-cabinet minister Ms Greening said: “I believe that putting the final decision on Brexit in the hands of the British people is the only way to break parliament’s impasse, and the right way to decide our country’s future.

“That’s why The Independent’s campaign is so vital and has my support – anyone who feels the same should back it.”
So their going to do it again?
Maybe?

If it passes again, then what?
Does PM May get another 2 years to fuck around?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Bit of a nightmare. The negotiations seem to be going badly but having a redo might be even worse. A lot of the ‘leave’ vote (37% to 34%, iirc) was due to people feeling that politicians and institutions weren’t listening to them and would just follow their own agenda, regardless of the will of the people. If the referendum is overturned, I do wonder how many more people will give up on democracy as just being a facade. Almost better to have something bad happen and then hold it up to people and say “you chose this! Your vote mattered and this is what you ****ing chose!”.

Probably it will end with Theresa May cobbling together some last minute arrangement that keeps all of the obligations with none of the benefits, but enables her to hang on as pm for another year. Then Corbyn (cor-****ing-byn!) will become PM, exit NATO, nationalize whatever still stands, and do a re-enactment of the worst parts of the 1970s, this time as farce instead of tragedy.

Jeezus, there are times when I’m especially grateful to be in an America where Donald Trump is president rather than a dystopia like that.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:19 am

I believe May--who was/is a disaster and in her position only because the Tories are masochists and Mad "Labour Doesn't Really Hate the Fucking Jews" Jeremy is insane--already submitted the "Marines! We are LEAVING!" notice which has a "no-backsees" clause methinks. So if no deal is done, the UK simply leaves with nothing automatically.

I am not sure there is a "take back," though since in politics all things are negotiable, IF such a referendum happened and IF it results in "Stay," then I suppose "Brussels" could be convinced to "take back" or "rescind" or whathaveyou but given that "Brussels" consist of the French, Germans, Italians, and even the Greeks, who have to sit outside since they cannot afford pants, expect them to screw with the UK just because they can.

Then the Tories would be thinking, "FUCK! Cameron could have done that" while appearing like a leader since he never favored Brexit in the first place. May did. He probably would not have fucked up domestic issues to the extent that May did to erase a lead that should have heralded the extinction of Labour only to find her majority gone and having to tolerate a still racist party from the unfashionable side of Ireland. In other words,

when Her Turn bitches, when Falcons fans bitch, May says "hold my beer."

The "Big Problem" is no one knew what "Brexit" would be or should be. There is no majority opinion that can browbeat the weirdos. So you have the "Hard Brexits" who refuse to tolerate or compromise those who want a "softer" Brexit--whatever the fuck that means. Since May fucked up the election, she needs all of them along with the few "Why are Catholics here?" and maybe a few of the Labour who do not like EU either.

This means she cannot put together a "Plan" [Tm.--Ed.], because it will alienate enough to cause it to fail.

As if the EU is going to except whatever a "Plan" would be! Whatever they negotiate "Some Pissed Off Group" will refuse, much like the "Freedom Caucus" in the House refuses to compromise with other Republicans--let alone the Loons across the aisle.

Cameron was smart, initially, to basically get his party to swallow the "Anti-European" squealers under the guise of "you want to remain in minority for another ten years, particularly how Labour and What Can Brown Fuck Up for You is Fucking Everything Up?!" Some may say that the Liberals--both of them [Stop that!--Ed.] helped Cameron moderate some things or at least make passing Gay Marriage "fashionable" since he had the votes from his coalition partners and enough of Labour to tell the Old Cunts of his party to fuck off. Funny, one of the deputies of the Liberals, who became leader, is SO "PsychoCon" he eventually stepped down because "Not Enough Jesus."

Funny thing, politics.

However, Cameron had to make a deal with the really "Hard" types once he won a full majority: "Buh-bye! Liberals." So he allowed the promised referendum.

And here is the fuck up that makes Seattle "Win? Nyaah, we'll pass" shake their heads. Atlanta "Kick a game winning field goal? Nyaah, drop back twenty and pass!" pats them on the back:
  • 1. Cameron was as popular as a Conservative can be in the UK.
    2. The desperate Labour, over the objections of its MPs who, in order to be an MP, have to be at least smart enough to read, chose a Racist Terrorist-Supporting Utter Fucking Loon.
    3. The popularity of Labour sank into the Thames.
and he holds the referendum. He could have made it, say, 2/3rds. "I want a clear mandate!"

But he did not.

Then, taking from the Her Turn Play Book, he and those not in favor just assumed anyone who was in favor of Brexit were just Trump Supporters loons.

And they, and he, lost.

Which is the way they wanted it. Well, they GETS it!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!