The Post Brexit Fallout Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Post Brexit Fallout Thread

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:08 am

Indeed, and maybe a bit in the "MAD" department. Though truth be told I do not know much about Boris other than he was a bit of a lout who was very anti-Europe and made it as Mayor of London. London did not sink into the Thames, but then he may have not had the power to do that. Most saw him as challenging Cameron but if Remain won, Cameron would have served about another three to four years before handing over to a successor to run the next election baring other accidents. He "presumed" successor was the Still-Current Chancellor who might have become his "Gordon Brown/Al Gore."

Hence my pictures of the two laughing at Labour and everyone else.

But Remain lost. I am surprised Cameron stepped down. Perhaps he just does not want to helm the leaving of the UK. Who knows how serious Scotland is--there are major economic hurdles to declaring independence--but perhaps he did not want to be the PM who watched Scotland leave.

Or, you know, he can look back on 6 good years--asthmatic in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1--having dug much of the UK out of the hole Labour dug, made the Tories a more moderate party--even got gay marriage passed. His party is what the Republican should be if they were not dominated by the religiously intolerant. Perhaps he does not want to lead a party that seems to be traveling in that direction.

Given what may happen to Corbyn by Tuesday, Prime Minister's Questions should be very entertaining.

Expect him to get knighted and even a peerage within about a year unless he refuses them.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Bottom line is Germany is pissed.

All the rest will work itself out.

Now, if Merkel wants to start some shit, again, cool. Let's see how you do this time.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm

I wonder if there were people hand wringing about Lithuania's currency after they decided to go independent.

I think the Brexit is silly. However, the hysterical FUCKING RACISTS. EVERYONE IS A MORON BUT MY SIDE. MY GOD, TEH POUND. It's getting old already.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 pm

I kind of agree with the wonder in the first and the silly in the last. There's still a long road to any final exist. And final has no real meaning.

If the EU had any fucking balls they'd invade England like the Northerners invaded the South at ... Sewells Point I suppose. It would probably turn out like that and France would surrender and Germany would be all like "what the fuck France!?" and just say fuck it.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 pm

corplinx wrote:I think the Brexit is silly. However, the hysterical FUCKING RACISTS. EVERYONE IS A MORON BUT MY SIDE. MY GOD, TEH POUND. It's getting old already.
To be fair racist incidents are either on the rise or at least more reported. There have been some nasty incidents after the votes, many of which targeted children.

Children, corps.

Meanwhile, pretty much all of Mad Jeremy's "Shadow Cabinet" has resigned and demanded he step down. There was no block on the No Confidence vote which will take place tomorrow. The Krauts and Surrender Monkeys are declaring that no negotiations or informal talks will occur until after the UK triggers the exit clause. This is them cutting their noses off. It does not help any in the EU if they end up in "tit-for-tat" fights with the UK.

The Poles, however, have suggested that the EU change and the reason the UK left was because the EU failed to take seriously the UK's demands for change. Now Poland is run by a rather right-wing religious party that is also very anti-immigrant, so take that with a scoop of NaCl.

Finally, the sort of "leader" of this whole mess is condemning Tory and Labour MPs and the like who supported Leave who state they do not want to shut down immigration.

This update brought to you by CAFFEINE!!!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:52 pm

The UK has had immigration from all over the former colonies. The best Indian food in the world is in... the UK. There is a proud tradition of cultural appropriation for everyone's mutual benefit in the UK.

The worker class in the UK has been deeply against Merkel (the unofficial leader of the UK) and her immigration pushes.

This idea that suddenly overnight the UK has become anti-immigrant is silly. It's the type and amount of immigration that has people voting Brexit.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:26 am

I am not arguing either for or against that. There are those who never accepted the immigrants you mentioned. There are those that simply do not want refugees to welfare seekers. Between the two is probably a long range. Be that as it may, Farage and his UKIP would be the BNP if they had balls.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:48 am

Doctor X wrote:There are even more references to "immigrants."

--J.D.
You missed the guy with the cannon labeled "diversity" blasting a hole in the ship.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:52 am

Heard this analogy this morning: the EU is like the Hotel California. They can check out but they can't actually leave and they will probably end up agreeing to something very close to EU membership without actually being called membership. Essentially this is the status of Norway and Switzerland: effectively members in all but name. They abide by most of the same rules and regulations in order to take advantage of the advantages of membership, like free trade.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:59 am

corplinx wrote:The UK has had immigration from all over the former colonies. The best Indian food in the world is in... the UK. There is a proud tradition of cultural appropriation for everyone's mutual benefit in the UK.
And there are fantastic music shops in London (at least) – if you're into exotic thingies.
Now for the farcical part, media clowns (read Parisian "intellectuals") have started peddling their wisdom – which boils down to "stupid old retrograde country bumpckins don't know what is good for them."
Doesen't mean much, but it's not unpleasant to hear them whine. Rule Britannia! :mrgreen:

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:06 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Heard this analogy this morning: the EU is like the Hotel California. They can check out but they can't actually leave and they will probably end up agreeing to something very close to EU membership without actually being called membership. Essentially this is the status of Norway and Switzerland: effectively members in all but name.
Not quite. No one has tried to leave before. Per treaty, once the article is invoked, everyone has two years to negotiate the details unless all members vote to extend the negotiations. These negotiations are about everything, potentially, but then no one has left before. Technically, the UK could demand "we want all of the economic rules, but none of the legal rules" and all of the EU states could take a hit on the bong and reply, "wow . . . yeah."

The Norway position is something that Remainers are urging as a basis for negotiation. Whether or not the new UK government will accept that--and the rest of the EU allow it--is another issue. Northern Ireland and Scotland trying to create a separate special status for themselves is highly problematic and, frankly, probably unfeasible. I do not see the EU agreeing to drop the fees, for example. Since the Leavers preached how the ending of fees would balance the budget and bring everyone weekly oral sex from Hot Babes/Dudes/Don't Judge Us, I do not see how the next government would accept them.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:48 pm

Mad Jeremy spectacularly fails his vote of no-confidence: 172-40.

Eating of their young will commence in about an hour. . . .

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm still not sure who the assholes are in this Brexit, maybe everyone?

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 pm

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."

Usually attributed to Jefferson even though no evidence can be found.

It is a rather bizarre affair where everyone is calling each other OLD, RACIST, GLOBALIST, etc. I don't think the people are assholes. They were given the power to act through direct democracy so now everyone is against each other (gotta love a close vote).

The politicians allowing this referendum in the first place is such an act of cowardice and assholishness. One of the reasons representative democracy works is that it keep neighbors from necessarily being bitter enemies over policy.

Sure, maybe everyone is an asshole. But it is expected. They should have never been given the ability to divide themselves this way.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm

I suspect that as well. One of the presumptive new leaders discounted the housing bubble and other warnings of economic disaster as part of the last Labour government. She can be Hillary to Boris' Trump.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:56 am

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:53 am

corplinx wrote:Image
Yeah this is the kind of shit that makes me think both sides are assholes.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:06 am

You would not be incorrect, Gram.

I know . . . that comes as a shock. . . .

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Grammatron wrote:I'm still not sure who the assholes are in this Brexit, maybe everyone?
Always the safest bet.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:43 pm

The EU suffers blame for this as well. Currently, leaders such France and Germany are demanding that the UK must "accept the four freedoms"--which includes freedom of movement--in order to deal with the EU. This is what drove UK voters away. In other words, by being petulant, the EU leaders live up to their negative stereotype.

For them, they feel the EU is not ala carte--you cannot "pick and choose" what you want. They forget that like a cable company, by forcing more and more of what you do not want will eventually force you into seeking an alternative.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!