The Post Brexit Fallout Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Post Brexit Fallout Thread

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 am

Now it effects 'murica!
SemperFuxit: Marine Corps votes to exit Dept. of the Navy

QUANTICO, Va. — In a move military analysts call “simply stunning,” the Marine Corps voted in a referendum Friday to leave the Department of the Navy, forming a separate branch tentatively named Men’s Department of the Navy. Defense contractor stocks closed sharply down in the wake of the historic vote.

The results were close, with 51.9 percent voting to leave and 48.1 percent voting to remain. Exit polling data showed the vote split along demographic lines with a slight majority of officers and all Marines from Texas voting to leave. More enlisted favored remaining, especially those with four or more dependents.

Duffelblog Flexes Like a Whore Falls Wanking to the Floor Her Trick is You and Me, Boy
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:29 am

John Cassidy (a Brit) in the New Yorker:

Boris Johnson and the Crisis of British Leadership
Having started out as a drama and turned into a tragedy, the Brexit story line has now descended into farce. On a day when the governor of the Bank of England indicated that he and his colleagues would have to take emergency action to protect the British economy from the disastrous results of last week’s vote, Boris Johnson, the mop-topped Tory cheerleader for the Leave campaign, took to a podium at St. Ermin’s Hotel, in Westminster, and said, “This is not a time to quail; it is not a crisis, nor should we see it as an excuse for wobbling or self-doubt.”

Fighting words, it would seem. But then Johnson, the former mayor of London, announced that he wouldn’t be running for the leadership of the Conservative Party, and the keys to 10 Downing Street, in the fall, after Prime Minister David Cameron steps down, as many observers had expected. “My role will be to give every possible support to the next Conservative administration,” he said. “To make sure that we properly fulfill the mandate of the people that was delivered at the referendum, and to champion the agenda I believe in.”

I won’t go too deeply into the machinations that led to Johnson’s decision (my colleague Anthony Lane has more), but it appears that the opportunistic Old Etonian, who only joined the Leave campaign in February, lost his stomach for the fight after a fellow-Brexiteer, Education Minister Michael Gove, decided to run. For Johnson, who openly styles himself after Winston Churchill (he published an admiring book on him a few years ago), it was a stunning and humiliating withdrawal.

“He’s ripped the party apart. He’s created the greatest constitutional crisis of modern times. He’s knocked billions off the value of the nation’s savings,” Michael Heseltine, a former Conservative minister who is pro-E.U., told the BBC. “He’s like a general that led his army to the sound of guns, and at the sight of the battlefield abandoned the field,” he added. “I have never seen so contemptible and irresponsible a situation…. He must live with the shame of what he’s done.”

Heseltine’s words were well chosen. It’s doubtful, however, whether Johnson or the other politicians who led Britain into this situation feel any shame. Prime Minister David Cameron, another Old Etonian and the man who called the Brexit vote, is serving out his notice as a lame duck, saying that the country has to accept the referendum result. Jeremy Corbyn, the soft-spoken Islington leftist who occupies the office of the Labour Party leader without doing much that could be described as leading, is clinging on despite the fact that most of his colleagues in Labour’s shadow cabinet have resigned, and a huge majority of its M.P.s voted to pass a motion of no-confidence in him.
Meanwhile, Mad Jeremy creates more problems for himself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world ... .html?_r=0A Remark on Israel by Jeremy Corbyn Incites Outrage in Britain and Abroad
LONDON — Trying to address accusations of anti-Semitism in Britain’s opposition Labour Party, its embattled leader, Jeremy Corbyn, provoked more outrage on Thursday by comparing Israel to “self-styled Islamic states or organizations.”

Mr. Corbyn’s comment drew instant condemnation from colleagues and Israeli politicians, who initially believed that he had said “Islamic State” rather than Islamic states. But members of his staff insisted that he had been referring to countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia — which are not self-styled and generally are called “Muslim nations” — or to organizations like Hamas. (Israelis would hardly be mollified by the clarification, given that Hamas is a Palestinian group classified as terrorist by Britain and the United States.)

The comment was made at the public introduction of a report on anti-Semitism within the Labour Party that had been ordered after two senior figures in the party — Naseem Shah, a lawmaker, and Ken Livingstone, a former mayor of London — were suspended in April over what was deemed to be anti-Israel commentary.

After the report was introduced, Mr. Corbyn was also accused of failing to intervene when a Jewish Labour lawmaker, Ruth Smeeth, faced what she called “anti-Semitic smears” from an activist. Ms. Smeeth called on Mr. Corbyn to resign, saying that under his stewardship the party “cannot be a safe space for British Jews.”
For a taste of who Corbyn's supporters are, see here:
http://www.marxist.com/britain-hands-of ... e-coup.htm
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:09 am

He is a certifiable Moonbat, and a dangerous one at that.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:36 am

Have they started sawing Scotland off? Has Ireland accepted Ulster's reunification?
What a snail's pace!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:49 pm

I figure we're going to need this gif at some point.
That's Michael Gove, one of the Tories who might be the next PM.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:59 pm

corplinx wrote:The UK has had immigration from all over the former colonies. The best Indian food in the world is in... the UK. There is a proud tradition of cultural appropriation for everyone's mutual benefit in the UK.

The worker class in the UK has been deeply against Merkel (the unofficial leader of the UK) and her immigration pushes.

This idea that suddenly overnight the UK has become anti-immigrant is silly. It's the type and amount of immigration that has people voting Brexit.
It's the sheer scale of recent immigration that's caused the problem, corps. Britain is a small country and already one of the most densely populated in the world. With a current estimated population of 64 million, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that net immigration of over 200,000 a year, year on year, is going to cause problems. Want to buy a house in Britain? Our young people mostly can't afford to.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:06 pm

Almost makes you wish you had a Labour Party to represent workers.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:10 pm

left-journo Greenwald has a take that abstains from the "RACIST" surrender to easy answers.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/bre ... titutions/
Corrupt elites always try to persuade people to continue to submit to their dominance in exchange for protection from forces that are even worse. That’s their game. But at some point, they themselves, and their prevailing order, become so destructive, so deceitful, so toxic, that their victims are willing to gamble that the alternatives will not be worse, or at least, they decide to embrace the satisfaction of spitting in the faces of those who have displayed nothing but contempt and condescension for them.

There is no single, unifying explanation for Brexit, Trumpism, or the growing extremism of various stripes throughout the West, but this sense of angry impotence — an inability to see any option other than smashing those responsible for their plight — is undoubtedly a major factor. As Bevins put it, supporters of Trump, Brexit, and other anti-establishment movements “are motivated not so much by whether they think the projects will actually work, but more by their desire to say FUCK YOU” to those they believe (with very good reason) have failed them.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:10 pm

I do not think it will be Gove. He is seen as a back-stabbing toad.

You may have a female PM and a female leader of the opposition.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:06 am

Some seem to take it seriously enough:
The Telegraph wrote:EasyJet presses ahead with plans to set up European company

Budget airline easyJet is pressing ahead with plans to set up a new company in Europe to avoid the fall-out from Brexit, a move that could see the carrier switch its legal headquarters abroad.

The FTSE 100 airline has started the process to acquire a so-called air operator certificate (AOC) in a European country as a contingency measure in case the UK loses its right to fly freely across Europe after it has left the EU. Gaining a certificate may result in easyJet legally registering its HQ in an EU country, although it insisted today that its 1,000-plus staff currently at its Luton Airport head office would be unaffected by such a change.

An AOC would require easyJet to set up an operating company in an EU country. The certificate would ensure the airline has unfettered access to the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA), which is central to its business because it allows the short-haul carrier to fly to destinations across the continent.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... n-company/

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:45 am

And this:
Ireland

I want to adopt a Brit because...

Generations of Irish emigrants have made their home in the UK, now it’s time we returned the favour. British people have been coming to Ireland for 800 years and we never really made them feel welcome. Now we’ll open our arms to our cousins in their time of need, and you won’t see a “no dogs, no blacks, no British” poster in sight.

It’s the ideal location for ‘Remainians’ because...

We speak English. We have full English breakfasts (called full Irish breakfasts), we love the Queen but don’t have to do what she says. The weather will make you feel at home, we drink more tea than Brits and we make real Guinness and know how to pour it properly.

Your accent will automatically make you seem sexy and/or intelligent. We love complaining about everything and we’d probably give you citizenship on the grounds of your dog’s granny being Irish.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... wkwardness

And the Romanians are adopting Brits too:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Trollface IRL

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:59 pm

And remember on this day that we don't have to be part of their wannabe empire. They are NOT the boss of us. We have our own destiny and we can set our own rules. We can be a great nation without THEM. We will show those imperialist that we can do just fine on our own!!!!
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was the 4th of July Thread. :D
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... ship-race/

:Popcorn:

Nigel Farage stands up for the furriners!?
Farage: 'I'm disgusted at Theresa May over threat to EU nationals'

Nigel Farage has joined a chorus of people attacking Theresa May for refusing to guarantee the rights of EU nationals who already live in the UK.

He told LBC: "I am disgusted at the way May has been speaking. The EU nationals living in the UK came here legally and they have protected rights."
This one really should be a no-brainer. Of course they should be allowed to stay if they came legally. Why would she say something like that? Anyway, Boris is backing someone else; I'm sure it's all just jockeying for position.

Is it possible the Brexiters will chicken out?
Crabb: 'I will not rush to trigger Article 50'

Stephen Crabb also said earlier that he would not rush to trigger Article 50, the mechanism which officially starts Britain's negotiations to exit the European Union. He told the BBC:

"I think it’s a mistake for people to rush out to set out a timetable right now for activating Article 50. The dust hasn’t begun to settle. [The new PM] needs to take stock and work up a clear vision of what is in the national interest. Some of the other candidates have felt under pressure to set out now what their timetable would be. We need to take a whole UK perspective on this. The Mayor of London has got a role in those kinds of discussions."
:Popcorn:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Crabb is one of those fools who thinks you can "pray the gay away."

AND . . . he is . . . gone! Having just come in 4th in the voting.

Well . . . not quite dead . . . [He is now.--Ed.] his only existence is whether or not the majority winner--who had more votes combined then the rest of the pack--will shift votes to him [They will not, he just withdrew.--Ed.] to remove a more concerning challenger. There is a new Brexit Darling who has done Shit and All but is also a woman and Trump Boris endorsed her. The results:
  • Maggie Theresa May: 165

Andrea Leadsom--Oh wow! Is that a microphone?!: 66

Michael Gove--Wait, WHAT happens to Brutus in the end?: 48

Stephen Crabb--I Don't HATE Gays . . . I Pray for Them!: 34 <--Buh-bye!

Liam Fox: 16 <--Buh-bye!
--J.D.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:15 am

Interesting, non-hysterical take on Brexit.
But the Union’s greatest failing is that after decades of regulations of every possible kind it has not brought the nations of the Continent closer together.
That bureaucrats regulate is a real shocker. :roll:
Quite simply Europe is unable to complete the transition it set itself; rather than fording the stream, it is sinking in the mud. In the meantime, the enchantment of the “good community” functions as an obstacle to reform. Why should Brussels reform itself if no country would ever be mad enough to leave?

With Brexit this decades-old spell is set to break. And how does the liberal elite on both sides of the Atlantic react to this deafening alarm? They scream foul and blame the dumb British working classes for spoiling the party. It might be wiser to examine our own attachment to a narrative that is going nowhere.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/opini ... egion&_r=0
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:10 am

I think Theresa May has this thing essentially locked up already, and the final vote is all but a formality (because she only needs to keep the votes of those who already voted for her is the last round, which was over 60% already, so she could even afford to lose a few of them and would still have a majority). So unless she strangles an orphan live on the Telly, I think she will win. Nonetheless, there is still a little drama:

Leadsom has really put her foot in her mouth with these condescending and even sexist remarks about the fact that May does not have children:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/ ... -0t7bbm29x

She has since apologized but her words seemed to be very condescending. Saying that May was likely very "sad" because she didn't have children.
Andrea Leadsom has said that being a mother makes her a better choice for prime minister than Theresa May because it means that she has “a very real stake” in the future of Britain.

In comments showing how personal she is prepared to make the Tory leadership contest, Mrs Leadsom said in an interview with The Times that the home secretary must be “really sad” not to have children.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:15 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I think Theresa May has this thing essentially locked up already, and the final vote is all but a formality (because she only needs to keep the votes of those who already voted for her is the last round, which was over 60% already, so she could even afford to lose a few of them and would still have a majority). So unless she strangles an orphan live on the Telly, I think she will win. Nonetheless, there is still a little drama:
And it is over. In no small part to the backlash to her comments, the opponent stood down, and Cameron will formally resign to The Ol' Gal on Wednesday after his last Prime Minister Questions.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I think Theresa May has this thing essentially locked up already, and the final vote is all but a formality (because she only needs to keep the votes of those who already voted for her is the last round, which was over 60% already, so she could even afford to lose a few of them and would still have a majority). So unless she strangles an orphan live on the Telly, I think she will win. Nonetheless, there is still a little drama:
And it is over. In no small part to the backlash to her comments, the opponent stood down, and Cameron will formally resign to The Ol' Gal on Wednesday after his last Prime Minister Questions.

--J.D.
Good of her to drop out. Best thing for the country. I assume that she, or some people close to her could already see the writing on the wall, and so why spend months in limbo while the outcome is in very little doubt.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:05 pm

I would agree. She had no experience whatsoever and the revelation of that was caste--by her fans--as "mean." Her only qualifications were "female" and "shilled for Brexit." However, unlike Uncle Jeremy, she understood her very minority support of sitting MPs would not translate into support in Commons. She could expect Remain MPs to thwart her much like Labour MPs are thwarting Uncle Jeremy.

I am still surprised Cameron left. I guess he was sincere in stating he could not lead the UK out of the European Union.

--J.D.