The Vaguely Official Police Shooting Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

The Vaguely Official Police Shooting Thread

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:09 am

Have at it.

Shots fired currently at the Dallas protest. Faux New reporting to police officers shot.

--J.D.
_______
Faux New reporting two police officers shot.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Re: The Vaguely Official Police Shooting Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:35 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 am

Currently listing ten officers shot, three dead. One gunman pinned down and, apparently, in "negotiations" whatever the hell that means.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 am

Ten officers shot, three dead.

Supposedly two snipers but they haven't found them.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:38 am

Often when initial reports say multiple shooters it turns out to only be one shooter.
William Shakespeare

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:55 am

Reposting what I posted on Kpesta's Facebooks.
For those of us who have wanted de-escalation policing to become a federalized standard, the racial component to these recent stories seems counterproductive because it becomes all about race. Emotions get high. Leeches and hucksters take over (Mizzou BLM). And insanity like this ensues. I just want to turn off the world for about a week.
Some of you may remember that I had an old acquaintance die last year because he was hogtied facedown by some pigs in Mississippi. Pasty ass white boy.

Tennessee's own Radley Balko wrote a great column at the WaPo about the Alton shooting:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... eventable/
All of which is why training police in de-escalation is so important. Physical confrontation like the kind we see in this video immediately raises the stakes and narrows the margin for error for everyone involved. A misheard directive, a misinterpreted gesture, or any other miscommunication can quickly become fatal.

Perhaps in the coming days we’ll learn that in this particular situation, the officers had no choice but to take Sterling down, though the video at least suggests otherwise. Yet we’ve see way too officer-involved shootings in recent years in which the officers’ perception (or misperception) of the threat was reasonable at the moment of the shooting, but in which the officer or other officers’ escalation helped create the threat in the first place.
The counterpoint, is an old Chris Rock comedy sketch about how blacks have it coming for not laying face down with their hands behind their backs if they even make eyes with a cop.

But it isn't just blacks. We can't give every cop a gun and have them ill trained to use one. You either need to make a hard decision about traffic cops having a pistol strapped on or you need to nut up and federalize police standards including de-escalation training.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:04 am

Watching the Dallas Police Chief and Mayor press conference. As with all things, details change constantly.

I agree with your overall points, corps, especially the last paragraph. I do not wish to judge "before all of the facts are in" but it seems that the officer in traffic stop panicked. Was he "profiling?" Was he "racist?" We do not have the video of the actual incident for obvious reasons. Another argument for police having body cameras. A video of the deceased fucking with the cop, not complying with instructions, would solve that. Of course, a video showing him doing exactly what his girlfriend stated he did in compliance with the officer's orders would solve it as well. Be that as it may, it smells to high heaven.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:31 am

We really should just drop this pretense of civilization and burn it all down.

People, cops and non-cops alike, seem to be just shooting whomever they wish anyway. We seem to want to make The Purge a work of non-fiction, only every day. We should just do so. Stop this hypocritical bullshit pretense we have of pretending to give a damn. No one gives a damn.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:40 am

The problem to me seems also of scale. The issues of a cop in Chicago are different than the one in Boise. Yet when a cop inevitably fucks up -- and how can they not? Everyone has a camera and we have enough people to make the odds work -- it's a national issue on why cops in America as a whole are shooting minorities. Instead it should be why the police department in that community choose to be so hostile. Not many shooting in Beverly Hills, yet there are plenty of asshole who threaten and even assault the BHPD officers.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:54 am

I am just curious how the usual suspects will justify the the shooting of that guy in MInnesota. He was, so far as is known, doing EXACTLY what the cop told him. Usually, the story is that the guy was struggling, charged at the officers or some such. But the police worshippers are going to have to justify it somehow, because cops can do no wrong. The mental contortions the usual suspects will go to are going to be...entertaining...to say the least.

My guess, they will use what happened in Dallas to justify it. Falsifiable prediction

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 am

Took a few moments, researched some First Amendment cases [Stop that.--Ed.], fed the plants, whipped a few orphans. . . .
Nyarlathotep wrote:People, cops and non-cops alike, seem to be just shooting whomever they wish anyway. We seem to want to make The Purge a work of non-fiction, only every day. We should just do so. Stop this hypocritical bullshit pretense we have of pretending to give a damn. No one gives a damn.
Well, I would offer that the fact the police did not go psycho and start returning fire, causing civilian casualties and the like, particularly the open carry laws that allowed protesters to walk about armed should give you some comfort.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:12 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:I am just curious how the usual suspects will justify the the shooting of that guy in MInnesota. He was, so far as is known, doing EXACTLY what the cop told him. Usually, the story is that the guy was struggling, charged at the officers or some such. But the police worshippers are going to have to justify it somehow, because cops can do no wrong. The mental contortions the usual suspects will go to are going to be...entertaining...to say the least.

My guess, they will use what happened in Dallas to justify it. Falsifiable prediction
I won't justify it but I will explain exactly what happened.

When I was taking a second concealed carry course to get re-certified, someone asked the instructor what you do if a cop pulls you over while you are packing.

The instructor was an ex-marine drill sergeant (correction, you are ALWAYS a MARINE) who went by the nickname gunney at the training center.

He sighed, went to the shelf, and got a video. He played it. It was a re-enactment.

The video is a woman driving an suv.
She gets pulled over.
When the officer approaches her and asks for her license and registration, she tells him "I am carrying a gun".
He flips shit and draws while yelling at her not to move.

Gunney pauses the video.

"People like to think they are always in control, but from the moment you say "gun", a police officer will be having a panic response. He is no longer thinking. You can use the following advice if you are carrying or not. If you get pulled over, take your license from your wallet or purse, lower your window, and place both hands on the wheel. If you are carrying, also hold the permit. The cop wants to see your hands. Lowered window and hands in view calms them down. When they ask for Id, hand them your cards. You don't have to reach for anything. If they ask if you are carrying, answer truthfully. Don't say "yes I have a gun", just answer yes or no. You have a permit and your hands were in view meaning you respect his position. You are now one of the "the good guys". "

The moment the lady in the car mentioned the gun, that cop was no longer hearing reasonable arguments and processing them. He did what would be expected to happen if you strap a gun on a traffic cop. At some point, due to lack of training, someone will panic and use it.

You can look at these things as systemic failures.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:14 am

One of the laziest liberal tricks is to call anything you don't like a racial dog whistle. It allows you to say "I can't prove you are racist and you didn't say anything racist, but you are using secret racist codes only rednecks understand".

Well, accusing people of dog whistling can cut both ways...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:38 am

I am trying to be measur'd here.

In the case corps cites, the cop is being unreasonable except cops are human. So he panicked a bit. "I have a gun" can be easily misinterpreted as a threat. I hate to come up with alternatives since that smacks of typical "Internet Warrior/Expert" bloviating over something one was not involved in. I do not carry a gun so I am not sure what the "right answer" based on law is.

I [Bore.--Ed.] tell a story of how I got out of a potentially interesting speeding ticket. I was not paying attention, passed a cop, looked at my speedometer and realized there was a reason light was bending around me. I pulled over to the right--as I saw the cop car enter the freeway--then slowly exited and pulled over at the end of the exit. The cop pulled up behind my already stopped vehicle. He made one perfunctory flash of his lights. I already had my hands--with my keys--in full view. I then--as you advised--had my window open and hand on the wheel.

I fucked up. My only intention was the hope he would lower the speed to "You Pay Out Your Ass the Way Tinkerbell Takes it Up His" rather than, "Welcome to Pound-Me-in-the-Ass Jail and Enjoy the Towing/Impound Fees."

I was let off with a warning. Friends gasp that I was "smooth" but, no, the cop knew I fucked up, he knew I knew I fucked up, I have a clean record, and he was at ease. So he gave me a warning.

What if I had a legally concealed weapon? Even one unloaded and properly locked in the glove compartment in an Officially Recognized Gove-Compartment Safe Thingy.

I have no idea how I should have informed him of any of this.

From the cop's standpoint, here is some asshole blasting by him such that he has to reset his watch based on the relativistic effects. The fuck?! Okay, fine, he clearly did not try to run away, and did the "dog on his back submission" and all of that. Still . . . now you tell him you have a gun?

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:08 am

Death Toll for police officers now five.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:33 am

BBC story:

:(
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Now we have ex-congressmen calling for violence against The President and BLM in response to the shootings. WHEEEEE!!!!!

Former Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh threatens 'war' on Obama and Black Lives Matter protesters, blames them for deaths after Dallas attack

And tons of 'False Flag' claims already.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:57 pm

So the Cunts come crawling out of the woodwork.

Of all the things one can blame Obama for, this is not one of them. Nor Clinton, nor Trump, nor even the Kardashians.

Not that that matters to Cunts; they have Agenda more important than rational thought and common human decency.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Who do you blame? The shooters, obviously. Anyone else? I blame the media. They can't be charged or convicted but that's where it is coming from. Both shootings that precipitated this came from phones streaming police shootings that 'seemed' wrong. Maybe they were. Or not.

No Rob Lister solutions here. I know that is what you were looking for. Ed might have answers.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:21 pm

In my CCL class it was emphasized that you don't ever say "I have a gun" when pulled over. You hand over your CCL with your DL, and inform that you are "carrying". Never assume that the cop who pulls you over is well trained or even rational. This video was shown too:

[ytube][/ytube]
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj