The Vaguely Official Police Shooting Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Vaguely Official Police Shooting Thread

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:11 am

Well . . . if he wants to buy a reliable computer like a Mac. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:16 am

Just bear in mind -- a race war would not hurt the ruling class.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:04 am

Oh well. 12 cops get shot in Dallas with 5 dead and people wonder why the cops were dressed in body armor and had no sense of humor n Baton Rouge.

Meanwhile...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-p ... SKCN0ZS1Z7

Focus of the article is on the New Black Panthers but there will be several groups and probably many individuals exercising their rights to open carry firearms in Cleveland during the RNC.

WHATever...
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:37 am

California passed gun control laws back in the 1960s in response to the original Black Panthers' habit of following police around while open carrying.

BTW, there is no organizational continuity between the Black Panthers of yore and the New Black Panthers.

Also there is a ideological difference despite the deliberate stylistic similarities. The New Black Panthers are pseudo-Muslim.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:51 am

Michael Shermer ‏@michaelshermer

New NRA quote: "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good Northrup Grumman Remotec Androx Mark V A-1"
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15 am

Will there be any Pokemons to collect at the RNC?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:31 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Will there be any Pokemons to collect at the RNC?
This one has been floating around the net for a little while.
donaldtrumppokemon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Larry Klayman: Conservative Legal Activist Files Lawsuit Against President Obama Over 'Race War'

Yes, that Larry Klayman.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:25 pm

Does not he have the ability to wage it under the War Powers Act?

What?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL Champions!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:58 am

I guess we are having a "national conversation" about race now. Here's an interesting perspective from that rarest of creatures, a black Republican:

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/13/12184078/t ... ice-racism
There really is such a thing as getting pulled over by a cop just for being black:
On Wednesday, Republican Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina gave a heartfelt speech in which he spoke about some of the abuses by police that he, as a black man, had dealt with. The speech, Scott said, was meant to show that in some instances — he insisted that most cops mean well — police officers are in the wrong, targeting someone solely because of his skin color.
Scott said he had been stopped seven times by police officers in the course of one year as an elected official. "Was I speeding sometimes? Sure," Scott acknowledged. "But the vast majority of the time, I was pulled over for nothing more than driving a new car in the wrong neighborhood or some other reason just as trivial."

"I was following a friend of mine, we had just left working out, and we were heading to Outback to grab a bite to eat at about 4 o’clock in the afternoon," Scott said. "He pulls out, I pull out right behind him. We’re driving down the road, and the blue lights come on. Officer pulls me into the median, and he starts telling me that he thinks perhaps the car is stolen."

Scott added, "Well, I started asking myself, because I was smart enough to not ask him, ‘Is the license plate coming in as stolen? Does the license plate match the car?’ I was looking for some rational reason that may have prompted him to stopping me on the side of the road."

Scott also shared a story from his brother, who became a command sergeant major in the US Army, the highest rank possible for an enlisted soldier: When he drove from Texas to South Carolina, a police officer pulled him over, wanting to know if the car was stolen because it was a Volvo. Scott also shared the story of a former staffer, who was pulled over while driving "a nice car" — a Chrysler 300 — so many times in Washington, DC, that he sold the vehicle and bought a more obscure one to avoid police targeting him.

"I do not know many African-American men who do not have a very similar story to tell no matter the profession, no matter their income, no matter their disposition in life," Scott said. He later added, "Imagine the frustration, the irritation, the sense of a loss of dignity that accompanies each of those stops."
Also some good commentary from Jonah Goldberg in National Review:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... s-humility
William Shakespeare

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:22 pm

The Elephant in the Room is safe to address now apparently.

Radley has a new piece:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... egitimate/

Why it’s impossible to calculate the percentage of police shootings that are legitimate
We want to reform policing. But we want those reforms to be informed, based on good data. The problem is that nearly all the data we have on incidents involving police officers using lethal force comes from reports written by police officers, and nearly all of those reports were written by the officers who were actually involved in those incidents.
For the purpose of collecting statistics, even when video contradicts the officer’s account, the officer’s report is usually what’s sent to the FBI. (It’s actually worse than even that: Up until only recently, the FBI only tracked justifiable homicides by law enforcement. In the rare instance that a shooting wasn’t legally justified, it wasn’t even included in the data.)
Lori Jean Ellis was gunned down in her own home when three police officers showed up in the middle of the night to serve a series of warrants for petty crimes. The police officers claimed they killed Ellis when she fired at them with a “high-powered rifle,” and claimed to have seen a muzzle flash, heard a loud boom, and witnessed smoke coming from the barrel. In truth, the only gun in Ellis’ home was a pellet gun, and the crime lab couldn’t even get it to fire. Yet for the purposes of data collection, Lori Jean Ellis would be listed as an armed suspect who fired a gun at police.
This is a very long article about the flaws in police violence reporting.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:57 am

Sounds like they fucked up and to save their own skins claimed she fired on them first.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 am

Why one needs independent overseers. "Who watches the Watchmen?" as his BigTimeness would ask.

[He then contributes a wall of text which basically says that sometimes people will confabulate in order to save themselves.--Ed.]

Fine. It was a most erudite wall of text in rhyming heroic couplets!

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:The part I heard basically distills down to "Things are better in this country, race wise, than they used to be, but bias still exists. Cops are mostly good but are only human and thus can make mistakes or be biased. Protesters who call for harming cops aren't helping anyone."

That SHOULD, as I said, be as bland and inoffensive a message as it is possible to make. But becuase it failed to demonize anyone and decry them as evil in a can, it will just make everyone angrier.
If Obama et al really wanted to save lives and put a huge damper on police excess and abuse he'd end the idiotic "War on Drugs". But as long as we're going to criminalize drugs the police will be expected to enforce the laws, and these laws are impossible to enforce without massive assaults on civil rights.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:39 pm

And I guess this thread is as good a place as any for this story, this is an incredible shot by a Colorado cop that even Holllywood couldn't dream of:
Investigators say an off-duty Colorado sheriff's deputy fired a bullet straight down the barrel of a suspect's gun, a shot they called "one in a billion."

The detail emerged in a letter from prosecutors Wednesday announcing that Arapahoe County Deputy Jose Marquez was justified in shooting the attempted-robbery suspect, who survived. Marquez also was wounded in the January shooting and is still recovering.

The Aurora Sentinel newspaper in suburban Denver reports that Marquez was visiting his girlfriend's apartment when two suspects approached him in the parking lot with their guns drawn.

The off-duty deputy told investigators that one suspect told him to "give it up."

Marquez says the suspects fired first and he shot back. One was wounded in the leg and arrested, and the other got away.

There can be no doubt that this gun was pointed at the cop!
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:06 pm

WildCat wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:The part I heard basically distills down to "Things are better in this country, race wise, than they used to be, but bias still exists. Cops are mostly good but are only human and thus can make mistakes or be biased. Protesters who call for harming cops aren't helping anyone."

That SHOULD, as I said, be as bland and inoffensive a message as it is possible to make. But becuase it failed to demonize anyone and decry them as evil in a can, it will just make everyone angrier.
If Obama et al really wanted to save lives and put a huge damper on police excess and abuse he'd end the idiotic "War on Drugs". But as long as we're going to criminalize drugs the police will be expected to enforce the laws, and these laws are impossible to enforce without massive assaults on civil rights.
Will never happen in our lifetimes though. If there is one thing that Dems and the GOP can agree on its the Drug War. The GOP has made its position quite clear and just yesterday I was reading how Barbera Boxer was fighting tooth and nail against easing up federal enforcement of laws against marijuana in those states that have legalized it. I suspect that both sides losve the drug ware precisely BECAUSE such laws are impossible to enforce without massive assaults on civil rights and thus it lets them sell the public on the necessity of such assaults.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Eric Schlktxlossergerdekurt, who wrote Fast Food Nation, followed up with Reefer Madness. Covered this sort of hypocrisy without being a "it can cure the cancer, man!" propaganda piece.

This is also an easy "issue" to smear an opponent as "soft on crime" and "THE CHILDREN!!!!1!" as I am sure you know. Be that as it may, did anyone expect it to start to be legal in some states?

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Agree on the war on drugs.

What if instead we told drug companies to see if they could find recreational drugs that are less harmful?

We have this naive idea that we should aim for the perfect rather than than the better. Perfect meaning that nobody takes drugs for recreational purposes or because they are addicted. But some drugs which are fun to take are less harmful in the long run than others, aren't they?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:What if instead we told drug companies to see if they could find recreational drugs that are less harmful?
They do and they do not in a way. They make drugs that become recreational. Given the cost of research and development, companies are not going to produce a strictly recreational drug by intent given that it can all go away in minutes when legislatures declare it illegal. The "Herbs 'n Spice" companies have tried to make legal versions of stuff and have some protection thanks to the Shills Hatch and Harkin and it is a constant fight over individual ingredients. Such companies are marketing to drug users which, I do not think, is a market the major drug companies want to waste money on particularly given how fast regulation can quash a drug.

--J.D.

AL Champions!!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:20 pm

At the risk of sounding like a pot advocate, pot already is the relatively harmless recreational drug.

Milton Friedman was of the opinion that marijuana interdiction gave rise to the "cocaine epidemic" because it was harder to interdict and the further interdiction would see more potent drugs enter the market as an economics outcome.