The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by ed » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm

For sad individuals, attention to the issue is incidential.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Can I use that to dismiss demonstrators of any kind, or only the ones you find frivolous?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 pm

gnome wrote:Can I use that to dismiss demonstrators of any kind, or only the ones you find frivolous?
Any kind?

No. Especially not if you dig into history.

However there is currently a LARPer subculture of demonstrators in the USA.

The key element is having plenty of things to lose beside their chains.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:10 pm

I have some issues with the implications of that--without presuming that you personally are claiming them.

It seems to imply that only the worst atrocities are worth protesting, and that above some undefined "bar" of "real suffering" people should just shut up and go to work.

It also seems to imply that people that have it good should not speak out for those that do not. I rather think the opposite--it is more effective when people who are "privileged" so to speak, who actually have an effective voice and some effective power, work against social injustices. It's part of a problem that occurs sometimes on the left, that people perceived as "privileged" get marginalized in social justice conversations. We're happy to point and jeer then, why should we embrace it in other contexts?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:36 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man ... -1.3769023

Violence erupted outside an alt-right gala in Midtown Saturday when a black-clad protester punched and choked a partygoer, cops said.

Far-right provocateur Mike Cernovich was inside the event at the FREQNYC nightclub on W. 50th St. when the fisticuffs broke out about 10:30 p.m.

“I saw him hit the old man,” said witness Ali Thomas, 24. “One hit. He swung hard. He hit him hard. The old man's head hit the curb.”

The 911 caller said initially that the 56-year-old was in cardiac arrest after the fight, according to fire officials. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital in stable condition, officials noted.

Cops arrested the alleged assailant, David Campbell of Crown Heights, Brooklyn, authorities said.

Campbell, 30, was charged with assault for strangulation, possession of a weapon, assault of a police officer, resisting arrest and loitering, police said Sunday morning.
Listen to the antifa whine to the cops, like they're the victims.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 pm

http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news ... 074212001/
When Ithaca High School announced last fall that the spring musical would be "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," high school senior Annabella Mead-VanCort's mother, Eliza VanCort, wrote a letter to school administrators.

Mother and daughter were thrilled that a musical with a leading role of a female of color would be performed on the school's stage. They would be keeping an eye on this production, Eliza wrote in the letter in late November.

"And then they cast it the way they did," Annabella said. "And then we decided to write letters.”

A white actress was cast in the role of Esmeralda, a Romani gypsy living in 15th-century Paris.
“It shows you that theater wasn’t made for you," said Maddi, who is African-American. "And it shows you that, if you can’t get the parts that are written for you, what parts are you going to get?”
Maddi Carroll, a 17-year-old senior at Ithaca High School and member of Students United Ithaca, was cast in the ensemble and quit in November due to the casting of Esmeralda.
I guess no one read the JapaneseFrench original, it's easier to be offended

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:56 pm

I can't help but wonder how many Romani are students at Ithica High School and interested in acting. I can't imagine it is that many
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I can't help but wonder how many Romani are students at Ithica High School and interested in acting. I can't imagine it is that many
Well in the original Esmeralda is not Romani, she is actually a French girl Agnes, kidnapped as a baby by Gypsies who leave Quasimodo in her place.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 pm

So basically, the school did show of anti-Romani hate propaganda. :HoppingMad2:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Sort of reminds me of the attempt by some people to complain about the "whitewashing" in Altered Carbon. The main character is named Takeshi Kovachs and he is indeed supposed to be Japanese (or Japanese/Serbian actually). So some people had to jump on the "Whitewashing" train that is oh, so trendy at the moment.

The problem is, that the whole gist of the series (and the books that its based on) is that they have found away to store one's consciousness on a device and thus move it from body to body. And it is a plot point in the books and the show that the body that the character is currently inhabiting is NOT a clone of his original, wasn't picked by him, and is a white guy. And flashback scenes to him in his original body have him played by an Asian actor.

But that fact isn't stopping people from complaining. It is, as you say, easier to be offended than read the book (or even actually watch the damned show)
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 am

Wait, do Annabella and her mother think Romani aren't white? That they're black?

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 am

They don't need an actual Romani to be satisfied, just someone that doesn't look "white".
--Soldier, TF2

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 am

WildCat wrote:Wait, do Annabella and her mother think Romani aren't white? That they're black?
If Annabella and her mother think Romani are black, they should raise the alarm against the Netflix program Peaky Blinders while they're at it. I don't think there's one black actor in that whole series.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 am

There's 1. And he's a priest or something.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 am

Grammatron wrote:http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news ... 074212001/
When Ithaca High School announced last fall that the spring musical would be "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," high school senior Annabella Mead-VanCort's mother, Eliza VanCort, wrote a letter to school administrators.

Mother and daughter were thrilled that a musical with a leading role of a female of color would be performed on the school's stage. They would be keeping an eye on this production, Eliza wrote in the letter in late November.

"And then they cast it the way they did," Annabella said. "And then we decided to write letters.”

A white actress was cast in the role of Esmeralda, a Romani gypsy living in 15th-century Paris.
“It shows you that theater wasn’t made for you," said Maddi, who is African-American. "And it shows you that, if you can’t get the parts that are written for you, what parts are you going to get?”
Maddi Carroll, a 17-year-old senior at Ithaca High School and member of Students United Ithaca, was cast in the ensemble and quit in November due to the casting of Esmeralda.
I guess no one read the JapaneseFrench original, it's easier to be offended
Thanks for the hometown news. That's so Ithaca.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 am

shuize wrote:
WildCat wrote:Wait, do Annabella and her mother think Romani aren't white? That they're black?
If Annabella and her mother think Romani are black, they should raise the alarm against the Netflix program Peaky Blinders while they're at it. I don't think there's one black actor in that whole series.
Are you denying that gypsies are people of color??
:x

Btw, regarding peaky blinders:

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am

My bad.

But I don't think he’s a gypsy.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

About Gypsies.

FWIW, in Europe they are considered to be "of color".

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:About Gypsies.

Nah, they are just considered Gypsies.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:About Gypsies.

Nah, they are just considered Gypsies.
Is that better or worse than "of color"?