The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 am

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 am

I'm gonna call Poe on that one.

But it's a good Poe. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Anti-gentrification activists! Mostly antifa types. This one really is a sort of war on "us" (loosely defined). At least that's how they see it. You'd think that gentrification was a dirty word like genocide.

This story is kinda long:

A new generation of anti-gentrification radicals are on the march in Los Angeles – and around the country
Gentrification is not your next documentary topic,” the group recently wrote on its blog. Its leaders distrust the media, saying they’d “rather opt out and tell our story for ourselves,” and did not respond to interview requests.

“Gentrification is not a trend for the ‘woke wide web’ or for the detached subculture of the left to consume,” they continued. “It is a vicious, protracted attack on poor and working-class people. And we are engaging in class warfare that leaves our friends, families, and neighbors, homeless, devastated, deported or dead. So get with down friends and make s*** crack.”

By “making s*** crack” — by boycotting, protesting, disrupting, threatening and shouting in the streets — Defend Boyle Heights and its allies have notched a series of surprising victories over the past two and a half years, even as the forces of gentrification continue to make inroads in the neighborhood. A gallery closed its doors after its “staff and artists were routinely trolled online and harassed in person.” An experimental street opera was shut down after members of the Roosevelt High School band — egged on by a group of activists — used saxophones, trombones and trumpets to drown it out. A real estate bike tour promising clients access to a “charming, historic, walkable and bikeable neighborhood” was scrapped after the agent reported threats of violence. “I can’t help but hope that your 60-minute bike ride is a total disaster and that everyone who eats your artisanal treats pukes immediately,” said one message. The national (and international) media descended, with many outlets flocking to Weird Wave Coffee, a hip new shop that was immediately targeted by activists after opening last summer.
Yet throughout the event there were also hints that something less civil — and far more confrontational — was afoot. “F*** Hipsters,” read the shirts for sale. A few activists clutched bright red hammer-and-sickle flags. And behind the attendees stood silent men and women in black ski masks — “comrades,” said emcee Facundo Rompe, “who are here to protect us.”

Between speeches, Rompe — tall and lean, with the glasses, goatee and nom de guerre of a vintage leftist — took the mic and alluded to activities that might (or might not) transpire later that evening.

“Obviously I can’t tell you everything we’re going to do, because the cops have really big pig ears,” Rompe said as he gestured toward a pair of plainclothes officers watching from a silver car at the edge of the plaza. “But what I’ve found is that the only thing that works to stop gentrifiers is intimidation. The only thing that works is fear — the fear of harm. Because they are harming us.”

A few minutes later, the program concluded. Rompe made one last announcement.

“There’s a legal side to the struggle, and there’s a creative side to the struggle,” he said. “No one is telling you you gotta mask up — that you gotta be militant as f***. No one is telling you to do that — although,” he chuckled, “that is the right thing to do.

“So let’s take a poll,” Rompe continued. “Raise your hand if you’re anti-gentrification — and you’ll do whatever the f*** possible to stop it.”

Everyone in the plaza — about sixty people in total — raised his or her hand.

“So that means you’re down to put your body on the line?” Rompe asked.

He scanned the crowd; no hands fell.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

At its worst, complaints about "gentrification" seem to be resisting improvements in infrastructure and economic activity in an area that is a concentration of poverty. I would think fixing up the roads, opening lots of stores, and having more jobs available would be considered a GOOD thing to happen to a neighborhood.

The flip side however, is if they are complaining about not improvement of an area but displacement. If the people living there aren't getting better jobs, but are just being shuffled to a new poverty stricken area. If affordable housing is becoming scarce as part of that displacement. And, dare I say, if locally owned businesses are being replaced by chain stores that extract more wealth than they add in jobs and wages.

Neither view is completely right, but neither is completely wrong either. I think it's an economic and social question we are still struggling to adapt to.

Then again, perhaps such places are lucky that they HAVE a problem with how to develop wealth without screwing up things. They could just have poverty all over the place with no relief in sight.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Note that in many cases these are neighborhoods that were not always slums.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Note that in many cases these are neighborhoods that were not always slums.
When we go back to year zero, we don’t mean literally zero comrade!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:52 pm

I mean within living memory, not colonial times or some damn shit.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Can you describe what is going on in the examples you describe? I may be misunderstanding what it means.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Dunno what Abdul is on about, he seems impaired again.

The neighborhood around my HS was Haitian in it's shitholeiness, really bad bad bad. It was "Gentrified" inasmuch as the houses were classic brownstones and sorta cool. Yeah, the crackheads got moved out but so what? I am sure that the non-marginal natives of the area are pretty happy as are the merchants.

Thing is this: if I buy it it is mine.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Neighborhoods that "went black" back in the 1960s and 1970s (what with "white flight") are now being gentrified by white folks who don't mind living around blacks (who very much mind etc).

There's an additional factor of real estate interests backed up by municipal corruption. But that was true of previous tends also.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Given the cost of living in Manhattan, Ft. Greene (which abuts Brooklyn Heights) id pretty darn attractive.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm

ed wrote:Given the cost of living in Manhattan, Ft. Greene (which abuts Brooklyn Heights) id pretty darn attractive.
But Brooklyn Heights itself "gentrified" without much ado.

Likewise the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Not what's being talked about here.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Keep up you fucker. :x :x

I was talking about Fr Greene.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 pm

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 pm

So, SJWs use twitter mobs to no-platform anyone that commits heresey. We get it. Speak up and lose your job.

How about PC concerns leading to the UK media self-censoring news about Muslim grooming gangs in the UK so the only news sources reporting it are "right wing" and thus the stories get categorized as right wing propaganda?

The real war is a proxy war. Media self-censors and kids wind up systemically preyed upon.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

corplinx wrote:So, SJWs use twitter mobs to no-platform anyone that commits heresey. We get it. Speak up and lose your job.

How about PC concerns leading to the UK media self-censoring news about Muslim grooming gangs in the UK so the only news sources reporting it are "right wing" and thus the stories get categorized as right wing propaganda?

The real war is a proxy war. Media self-censors and kids wind up systemically preyed upon.
The groomed girls will have to check their privilege.
To quote a Labour mp's tweet after Rotherham: "girls should shut up. #for diversity"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... rsity/amp/
Last edited by Giz on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 pm

The Telford fiasco is a real fuckaroo.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm

ed wrote:Keep up you fucker. :x :x

I was talking about Fr Greene.
I think I'll wait until ed "identifies" as being off the rag before continuing this line of inquiry. :mrgreen:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.