The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by gnome » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Maybe I just don't fit into that "planet X" box you want to put me in. Why not a "Y"? Is this saying something about X chromosomes?
Last edited by gnome on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:12 pm

gnome wrote:It's not a toggle switch, more of a spectrum. But lots of societies like to pretend they're higher on the meritocracy scale than they are, the better to demonize people falling through the cracks, instead of working on the problem.
Abilities are analog, rewards are digital

ie. you don;t get 90% of a promotion so you can "feel good"
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:13 pm

ed wrote:
gnome wrote:It's not a toggle switch, more of a spectrum. But lots of societies like to pretend they're higher on the meritocracy scale than they are, the better to demonize people falling through the cracks, instead of working on the problem.

I have very little concern for how people feel. Not none, but this is not my primary concern here. I am referring to people asking for help, and not receiving it because they are told it's their own fault that they need help.
Last edited by gnome on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Grammatron wrote:
gnome wrote:I don't dispute any of that. The sense in which I object is when a real issue is dismissed as unimportant with the justification that people suffering from it deserve to be in it.

I don't mind being aware that personal choice and responsibility is involved, I just don't want themto use that as a reason to ignore a problem. How that plays out semantically doesn't matter to me.
This is way too general, can you give a specific example of who is doing this, who are "them"?
You've never heard someone argue that poor people shouldn't get public assistance because it's their fault they're poor?
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Witness wrote:Image

:mrgreen:

People who really worry about, and consider this sort of stuff will fail. Or, alternatively, grow up.
- new minimalist ethos -

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:25 pm

You're a good man Pyrrho, I've always said so!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:52 pm

gnome wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
gnome wrote:I don't dispute any of that. The sense in which I object is when a real issue is dismissed as unimportant with the justification that people suffering from it deserve to be in it.

I don't mind being aware that personal choice and responsibility is involved, I just don't want themto use that as a reason to ignore a problem. How that plays out semantically doesn't matter to me.
This is way too general, can you give a specific example of who is doing this, who are "them"?
You've never heard someone argue that poor people shouldn't get public assistance because it's their fault they're poor?
You yourself have said that you don't want to give ownership of labels and terms to the fringes, why then do you listen to the fringes and then labeling them as belonging to certain sides?

ed

Post by ed » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 pm

gnome wrote:
ed wrote:

I have very little concern for how people feel. Not none, but this is not my primary concern here. I am referring to people asking for help, and not receiving it because they are told it's their own fault that they need help.
I am not sure that there should be a test for those needing help. I mean, a fucked up vet "did it to himself" because he volunteered, no? Everyone is "culpable" to some extent.

I resent people demanding an outcome that they simply do not merit.
- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Fixed it again.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Y'all know that chart was always a "joke" and never intended as a real guide, right? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Thank the FSM. Can't keep track of all that.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Grammatron wrote:
gnome wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

You yourself have said that you don't want to give ownership of labels and terms to the fringes, why then do you listen to the fringes and then labeling them as belonging to certain sides?
I'm not trying to label someone. I've heard an idea frequently that I'm speaking against.
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 pm

"French waiter says firing for rudeness is 'discrimination against my culture'"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... my-culture

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Being French is a fireable offense.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond...
Universities should not be safe spaces, say MPs
MPs and peers have told universities that they cannot be “safe spaces” but must allow unpopular and controversial views to be heard on campuses.
Safe space policies are often an expression of intolerance of groups that proffer legal opinions ranging from the pro-life lobby to humanists, MPs said.

The findings by the parliamentary joint committee on human rights will add to pressure on universities to take action against students who try to prevent certain figures from speaking.

The committee, which is chaired by Harriet Harman, the former deputy leader of the Labour Party, heard evidence from students, university authorities and others over several weeks.
Changing times, or political theater?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:38 am

#MeToo meets 120dB! (short video)

Looks like they don't like it (folks getting up on stage and interupting) either...go figure.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:50 am

BAC News wrote:Baby Storm Raised Genderless Is Bad Experiment, Say Experts

No one knows the sex of Storm Stocker, a 4-month-old baby from Toronto. Only the parents, midwives and two older brothers have ever peeked beneath the diaper.

That's because his -- or is it her -- parents, Kathy Witterick, 38, and David Stocker, 39, want to raise their child genderless.

When Storm came into the world in a birthing pool on New Year's Day, they sent out this email: "We decided not to share Storm's sex for now -- a tribute to freedom and choice in place of limitation, a standup to what the world could become in Storm's lifetime."
[…]
The family gleaned the idea for this form of child-rearing from the 1978 children's book "X: A Fabulous Child's Story," by Lois Gould. The author uses symbolism and allegory to explore gender "creativity."

Stocker teaches at an alternative junior high school and said he plans his lessons around social justice issues. Witterick practices unschooling, which is similar to homeschooling, with no report cards, no textbooks and no tests.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/baby-storm ... d=13693760

:roll:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Child abuse.

The children should be taken away and the parents sent to prison.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:22 pm

corplinx wrote:I'm getting really worried with the censorship in the US. (queue the, its not censorship when youtube/twitter no-platform you).
It absolutely is censorship. It's just not a 1st Amendment issue.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 am

The manual:

An illustrated big-sister's guide to activism-the perfect gift for young feminists and long-time observers looking to enter the fray.
[…]
This groundbreaking book includes:

Background information on key issues so you can choose where you most want to take a stand.
A guide for learning about the first Amendment and how to choose good news sources and make sure you're getting quality information.
Practical instructions on how to get involved and stay involved, with examples from the author's own experience organizing the successful "Watch Us Run" conference.
Instructions for how to talk to your friend who says she's "just not that political" and your relatives whose beliefs conflict with your own.
Advice for self-care and how to stay involved without exhausting yourself.
Extensive back-matter including numbers to call, organizations to email and donate to, and scripts for reaching out to representatives and organizations.
Interviews with experienced activists including senator Elizabeth Warren, actress Amber Tamblyn, actress Marlo Thomas, Women's March Co-Chair Carmen Perez, Mother of the Movement Lucy McBath, Black Lives Matter creator Alicia Garza, People for Bernie Founder Winnie Wong, and former assistant to President Obama Tina Tchen.