The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Postby Witness » Mon May 28, 2018 3:22 am

The Telegraph wrote:Obese people should start work later to avoid rush hour crush, government advisor says

Obese workers should be allowed to start work late to avoid the rush-hour crush, a government adviser has said, and they should have the right to sue employers if they are not offered jobs or promotion because of their weight.

Prof Stephan Bevan, of the Institute for Employment Studies, said businesses should make more “accommodations” for workers carrying excess weight, adding it was time those suffering “functional impairment” were supported at work in the same way those with other health conditions might.

Critics called the idea “ridiculous”, with concessions for the obese likely to fuel resentment among fellow workers.

But speaking at the European Congress on Obesity in Vienna, Prof Bevan said the condition should be made a “protected characteristic” under the Equality Act.

“It’s the same as if you went for a job and didn’t get it because you were a woman,” he said.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/25/obese-people-should-start-work-later-avoid-rush-hour-crush-government/

Giz

Postby Giz » Mon May 28, 2018 4:57 am

Witness wrote:
The Telegraph wrote:Obese people should start work later to avoid rush hour crush, government advisor says

Obese workers should be allowed to start work late to avoid the rush-hour crush, a government adviser has said, and they should have the right to sue employers if they are not offered jobs or promotion because of their weight.

Prof Stephan Bevan, of the Institute for Employment Studies, said businesses should make more “accommodations” for workers carrying excess weight, adding it was time those suffering “functional impairment” were supported at work in the same way those with other health conditions might.

Critics called the idea “ridiculous”, with concessions for the obese likely to fuel resentment among fellow workers.

But speaking at the European Congress on Obesity in Vienna, Prof Bevan said the condition should be made a “protected characteristic” under the Equality Act.

“It’s the same as if you went for a job and didn’t get it because you were a woman,” he said.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/25/obese-people-should-start-work-later-avoid-rush-hour-crush-government/

Well, if a population has growing numbers of obese people... do you expect politicians and lobbyists to encourage them to change their ways, or to pander to them?

Giz

Postby Giz » Mon May 28, 2018 4:58 am

Ps - pretty sure that gif is a hate crime.

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue May 29, 2018 3:28 am

You're an author wanting to write a novel about a trendy subject, but it's outside your domain of expertise so you fear being offensive? No sweat, "sensitivity readers" are here to help:
Sensitivity Readers

Here at Writing in the Margins we are most interested in helping authors from marginalized backgrounds get their stories published. But we also understand that authors will write outside of their own culture and experience, which is why we strongly suggest the use of a sensitivity reader.

What is a Sensitivity Reader?

A sensitivity reader reads through a manuscript for issues of representation and for instances of bias on the page. The goal of a sensitivity reader isn’t to edit a manuscript clarity and logic, although that may be an additional service offered. A sensitivity reader reviews a manuscript for internalized bias and negatively charged language. A sensitivity reader is there to help make sure you do not make a mistake, but they are also NOT a guarantee against making a mistake.

How much does this cost?

Writing in the Margins recommends a basic minimum of $250 for a high level overall read on a manuscript (60,000-100,000 words). The manuscript should be free of glaring errors and should be nearly submission ready, meaning it should be a later draft and something that has been reviewed by others.

$250 will get a writer a high level read as well as a notes page detailing what is working and what problems the reader saw, as well as problems highlighted within the text. Again, this is NOT a structural edit.

Please keep in mind that $250 is the starting point for this kind of a read through. A few readers are also editors and may offer additional services. In addition, sensitivity readers with more reading/writing experience may charge more. We recommend inquiring as to the rates of the reader prior to sending any material. In addition, we advise sensitivity readers to get their payment prior to reading.
http://writeinthemargins.org/sensitivity-readers/

Academia should now have formed enough SJW coaches for preemptive bowdlerization, I presume? :mrgreen:

From another, rather long and fuzzy article ("Is My Novel Offensive?") I extract this snippet:
Albertalli totaled 12 sensitivity reads for her second novel on LGBTQ, black, Korean American, anxiety, obesity, and Jewish representation issues.
All the hot themes are there, excellent, but 12 x 250 $, hmmm…

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue May 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Advice for would be novelists -- If it isn't offensive it's probably not worth reading.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Wed May 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Stockton's young mayor has bold turnaround plan: Basic income and stipends for potential shooters

Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs says that for way too long, his city has been known for headlines about bankruptcy, violent crime and the housing collapse.

In the future, he wants it to be known as a place willing to test bold solutions.

Bold, and a little controversial.

Tubbs, a Stockton native and Stanford graduate who is all of 27 years old, wants to give at least $500 a month to a select group of residents. They'll be able to spend it as they wish, for 18 months, in a pilot program to test the impact of what's called guaranteed basic income.

"Obviously, it's a dumb idea," said deli operator Robin Luna-Gonzalez, who was referring to the Advance Peace initiative. She said she has an autistic son whose care center is closing in a budgetary crunch.

"Why are we paying criminals?" she asked.
"We already give away billions of dollars to people who sit at home on welfare and make no effort to work," he said.

Sounds like a flaming success waiting to happen....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Giz

Postby Giz » Wed May 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Skeeve wrote:Stockton's young mayor has bold turnaround plan: Basic income and stipends for potential shooters

Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs says that for way too long, his city has been known for headlines about bankruptcy, violent crime and the housing collapse.

In the future, he wants it to be known as a place willing to test bold solutions.

Bold, and a little controversial.

Tubbs, a Stockton native and Stanford graduate who is all of 27 years old, wants to give at least $500 a month to a select group of residents. They'll be able to spend it as they wish, for 18 months, in a pilot program to test the impact of what's called guaranteed basic income.

"Obviously, it's a dumb idea," said deli operator Robin Luna-Gonzalez, who was referring to the Advance Peace initiative. She said she has an autistic son whose care center is closing in a budgetary crunch.

"Why are we paying criminals?" she asked.
"We already give away billions of dollars to people who sit at home on welfare and make no effort to work," he said.

Sounds like a flaming success waiting to happen....

Didn’t “basic income and stipends for potential shooters “ used to just be called “protection money”?

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 pm

IIRC some other California cities are already doing this.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Giz

Postby Giz » Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm

WildCat wrote:IIRC some other California cities are already doing this.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
- de Tocqueville

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu May 31, 2018 3:45 am

Giz wrote:

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
- de Tocqueville

According to the article it isn't taxpayer money, fwiw. It's funded by a charitable organization. (Arguably since charitable donations are tax-deductible, you could say that indirectly taxpayers are bearing a portion of the cost, but you could say the same thing about any charity.)

https://www.advancepeace.org/

Personally, I'm also very skeptical of this idea, but I guess the people funding it are doing so voluntarily, so it's a kind of social experiment.

If you believe that a significant portion of crimes are committed for economic reasons, it would make some sense to look for economic solutions. I guess a lot of people on the left believe that: poor people commit more crimes because they are poor. I personally think only a small percentage of crimes are due solely to economic factors (like he stole the bread because he had no other way to eat.) I think that people who are more prone to criminal behavior are also more likely to be poor, because it all stems from behavior problems that also make it hard to get and keep a good job, etc.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu May 31, 2018 9:19 am

It's a protection racket, with the difference that the recipients of the protection money do not have the same level of impulse control as the Mafia types of yore.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Thu May 31, 2018 10:56 am

Want some.

Children want some

Grandchildren want some

Mexicans working on my property want some
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu May 31, 2018 1:18 pm

The point being that with the Mafia, they actually would protect you from other criminals who tried to muscle in, and tried not to have a lot of collateral damage while killing each other.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm

The California city that is already doing this is Richmond: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/ ... 04554.html

gnome

Postby gnome » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Giz wrote:

- de Tocqueville

What if those bribes dwarf in comparison with bribes given as corporate welfare?

By that standard we should have stopped enduring a long time ago.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:33 pm

gnome wrote:What if those bribes dwarf in comparison with bribes given as corporate welfare?

What if they do?

Any relevance to public safety or mere whataboutism?

gnome

Postby gnome » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 pm

My point is if too much welfare to the poor would destroy us because it would get their vote, wouldn't largesse much greater in scale to other parties have done it ages ago?

It's a pennywise/poundfoolish argument.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 pm

More welfare for "the poor" is not the same as paying off criminal types who mostly pick on those poor.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 pm

gnome wrote:My point is if too much welfare to the poor would destroy us because it would get their vote, wouldn't largesse much greater in scale to other parties have done it ages ago?

It's a pennywise/poundfoolish argument.

The "corporate welfare", however you're defining it, results in more tax revenue for the government. Welfare to the poor is a cash outflow for the government.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:07 am

Save the poor vote which keeps the government, as it were, in its job and position at the trough.

So, in a way, it is an inflow for the government.

Who will pay for it?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”