The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by Witness » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:19 am

Normalization Of Plus-Size Body Shapes Fuels Obesity Epidemic: Study

A new study warns that the media “normalization” of plus-size body types may be fueling the obesity epidemic.

Research analysis of data gathered from 23,460 British people who are overweight or obese revealed that overweight individuals are increasingly underestimating their weight.

The study says people who think they’re thinner than they actually are 85 percent less likely to try to slim down compared to those who accurately estimate their true size.

The results, which were published in the medical journal Obesity, show that the number of overweight individuals who chronically underestimate their size has increased between 1997 and 2015: from 24.5 percent to 30.6 percent in women and 48.4 percent to 57.9 percent in men.

The study suggests that being bombarded with images of “plus-size” models may be leading people to assume that being overweight or obese is the new normal so they feel less incentive to lose weight.
https://www.inquisitr.com/4954885/norma ... mic-study/

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:26 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:I don't specifically remember saying it, but it's the sort of thing I would have said, so I'll own it.

The ACLU used to be like that but no more.
I think Voltaire used to say something like that too.

It was one of those archaic enlightenment values that are no longer in vogue.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 am

I think lots of people, Voltaire presumably included, BELIEVE that they would stand up for speech they don't agree with.

When push comes to shove, though, they won't. People believe lots of stupid and incorrect things about themselves. Even the vaunted ACLU
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:. . . no matter how much anyone may pretend that they are all for free speech, they really are only for "Free Speech that they agree with".
Nyarlathotep wrote:People believe lots of stupid and incorrect things about themselves.
Do you include yourself in that group? :wink:

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:16 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:These were just mediocre low-effort movies made to cash in on played-out franchises. SJWism has little to do with it.
Mediocre for sure, low-effort? Not by the price tag I would think.
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote: Black Panther was a huge hit. Wonder Woman was a big hit. I'd rather see more efforts to create something that hasn't been done already than the umpteenth reboot of Spider-Man.
Agreed!
Nyarlathotep wrote: This. Solo and TLJ didn't flop because of "Identity politics" or "SJWism" (TLJ didn't flop at all, it was just disappointing IN COMPARISON to past movies in the franchise), they flopped because they were warmed over reshashes of better movies and transparent cash grabs.
A matter of opinion there, but we do agree that TLJ was just disappointing IN COMPARISON..."
Nyarlathotep wrote: And if people ARE avoiding the remakes because it has GASP a black person as the main character and/or women in positions of power in the movie, that speaks more poorly of them than the films
Blaming the customer for not liking the product and therefor choosing not to buy?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I see a little silhouetto of a post
Scaramouche, scaramouche
Wish we still had the corn field...

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Just remembered something in regards to the ACLU thing.

Sometime back, I said that no matter how much anyone may pretend that they are all for free speech, they really are only for "Free Speech that they agree with". Someone (I forget who, may have been Abdul, may have been Corplinx, may even have been gnome, I don't really recall) pointed to the ACLU as a group that consistently fights for free speech no matter what the content of that speech is.

So, whomever you are, do you still disagree with me on that point?
I don't know if I said it, but I'll agree that it is nearly impossible to be a perfectly consistent defender, and that the ACLU may clearly fail to be as well.

I would be more concerned by practice than policy, especially one that continues to affirm a commitment to free speech (including Nazis) while describing a way to look at prioritizing resources that I'm not even sure is a change.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:12 pm

The ACLU used to be consistently good on the issue of freedom of speech, even if they were not "perfect".

Now they have utterly repudiated it and are enemies of freedom like all the rest.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Witness wrote:

A new study warns that the media “normalization” of plus-size body types may be fueling the obesity epidemic.

Research analysis of data gathered from 23,460 British people who are overweight or obese revealed that overweight individuals are increasingly underestimating their weight.
The study suggests that being bombarded with images of “plus-size” models may be leading people to assume that being overweight or obese is the new normal so they feel less incentive to lose weight.
In the United States, an estimated 160 million Americans are either obese or overweight (the total U.S. population is about 326 million).

Nearly 75 percent of American men and more than 60 percent of women are obese or overweight, according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.
Take # 1: Misery enjoys company...lots of it.
Take # 2: At least we're not FAT shaming anymore (sniff sniff)...
Dr. Raya Muttarak’s study does not condemn obesity or say overweight people shouldn’t be happy with themselves.
If she did, feminists might hound her, and Antifa may show up at her place of work and make life miserable...just kidding, that never happens.
It’s more of a sobering wake-up call about the health consequences of excess weight, which increases the risks of diabetes, early mortality, heart disease, dementia, and cancer.
:sarcasm on:
It's all okay though, we the taxpayers will gladly pay their medicare (or what ever) expenses...until we can't anymore.
:sarcasm off:

National Debt > $21 Trillion and counting...
Last edited by Skeeve on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:20 pm

So why was smoking so vilified?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm

ed wrote:So why was smoking so vilified?
One guess, the tobaco companies did research and knew it was bad, then burred that research, and lied about it.
Punishment of corporate greed.

Another guess, it makes such a good "sin tax-able" product...

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Yeah

Everyone should totally be as shitty as possible to fat people. Hey, even better than shaming them let’s throw shit at them.

Anything less means you are dust subhuman SJW scum

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Witness wrote:

I just have to share this one with you Witness...also from the UK...
Sofie Hagen accuses Cancer Research UK of ‘fatshaming’ obese people
The poster aims to warn people that obesity is the second biggest preventable cause of cancer, with only smoking being a higher risk factor.
Not everyone has taken kindly to the message, however, complaining that it is insensitive. Body positive campaigner Sophie Hagen tweeted: ‘Right, is anyone currently working on getting this piece of sh*t CancerResearchUK advert removed from everywhere? Is there something I can sign? How the f*cking f*ck is this okay?’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/01/cancer-r ... to=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Should come with a warning about small children or something...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Yeah

Everyone should totally be as shitty as possible to fat people. Hey, even better than shaming them let’s throw shit at them.

Anything less means you are dust subhuman SJW scum
All the cancer warning folks were trying to do was... you know, warn them.
The charity says only 15% of people know about the direct link between weight and cancer so it is important to make them aware.
Choices have consequences and all that.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:20 pm

I am a great big fat guy. The next asshole who mocks me for it who is legitimately concerned with my health, as opposed to just wanting an excuse to be shitty to someone while feigning shock when I get shitty back and/or fuck then up with a tire iron, will be the first

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The ACLU used to be consistently good on the issue of freedom of speech, even if they were not "perfect".

Now they have utterly repudiated it and are enemies of freedom like all the rest.
Obviously some strange definition of "utterly", or even "repudiated", that I hadn't encountered before.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 am

If it's not "free speech for all" they are just another bunch of partisan hacks.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm

They never have had the resources to defend everyone that deserves it. Have they changed their commitment to the principle?
--Soldier, TF2

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I see a little silhouetto of a post
Scaramouche, scaramouche
Wish we still had the corn field...
We do.
cornfield.jpg
Just that no one has felt a recent need to cornfield someone. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:00 pm

For comic relief, from "Gender, Place and Culture – a Journal of Feminist Geography" (Taylor & Francis, of course):
Human reactions to rape culture and queer performativity at urban dog parks in Portland, Oregon
Helen Wilson

Abstract

This article addresses questions in human geography and the geographies of sexuality by drawing upon one year of embedded in situ observations of dogs and their human companions at three public dog parks in Portland, Oregon. The purpose of this research is to uncover emerging themes in human and canine interactive behavioral patterns in urban dog parks to better understand human a-/moral decision-making in public spaces and uncover bias and emergent assumptions around gender, race, and sexuality. Specifically, and in order of priority, I examine the following questions: (1) How do human companions manage, contribute, and respond to violence in dogs? (2) What issues surround queer performativity and human reaction to homosexual sex between and among dogs? and (3) Do dogs suffer oppression based upon (perceived) gender? It concludes by applying Black feminist criminology categories through which my observations can be understood and by inferring from lessons relevant to human and dog interactions to suggest practical applications that disrupts hegemonic masculinities and improves access to emancipatory spaces.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 18.1475346

Essentially she spent her time observing and groping (to determine their sex, ya know) dogs.

:lmao: