The SJW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by gnome » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm

A law professor at Georgetown is "The Left", apparently.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Everybody is all gung ho for a revolution, thinking they will get to kill some of those fuckers who have the nerve to disagree with them.

But most people forget that revolutions generally change nothing except exactly WHOSE boots are on your neck. They do nothing about the fact that there is a boot on your neck in the first place.

I guess, maybe people like the idea because its like a lottery. The small chance that you will be the boot wearer, not the guy with the neck
So you think that...

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."

However, the 1st American revolution did not do that
(in the sense that Washington turned over power to the politicians, rather than keep the military in charge) so....

...its a good rock-n-roll song anyway.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:00 pm

gnome wrote:A law professor at Georgetown is "The Left", apparently.
It's a view that is rapidly gaining traction with those on the left. Do you disagree?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Not sure what the CSI: Miami theme song has to do with anything? And who are the people in that picture, I am pretty sure that none of them are even ON the show?

(kidding, kidding)
Skeeve wrote:
(in the sense that Washington turned over power to the politicians, rather than keep the military in charge) so....
You sure about that?

The Revolutionary War largely just transferred power from wealthy English landowners to wealthy American landowners. If you were not a wealthy landowner, you still had a boot on your neck, just a different boot like I said.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Only the right are individuals. All leftists are a monolith

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Not sure what the CSI: Miami theme song has to do with anything

(kidding, kidding)
Skeeve wrote:
You sure about that?

The Revolutionary War largely just transferred power from wealthy English landowners to wealthy American landowners. If you were not a wealthy landowner, you still had a boot on your neck, just a different boot like I said.
We did not have a ruling military, or a "President for life," that was my point.
See: The Man Who Would Not Be King
George Washington is the face on the one-dollar bill and - these days - the smiling face of Presidents’ Day sales. Most of us know he was the first president of the United States. But why is that important? What else do we know about him?

George Washington was the man who established the American republic. He led the revolutionary army against the British Empire, he served as the first president, and most importantly he stepped down from power.
But think about other great military commanders and revolutionary leaders before and after Washington-Caesar, Cromwell, Napoleon, Lenin. They all seized the power they had won and held it until death or military defeat.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Not sure what the CSI: Miami theme song has to do with anything? And who are the people in that picture, I am pretty sure that none of them are even ON the show?

(kidding, kidding)
Skeeve wrote:
You sure about that?

Yeah but whenever the "people" get some say you get a shithole. A violent shithole at that. I'll go with the landowners.
- new minimalist ethos -

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:58 pm

So you ares saying your ideal form of government is some form of plutocratic fascism? Where only the rich have any rights and everyone else just exists to serve them?

ed

Post by ed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:So you ares saying your ideal form of government is some form of plutocratic fascism? Where only the rich have any rights and everyone else just exists to serve them?
Not really sure what it would look like but it would not make a pretense of aggrandizing the "common man".
What "rights" are you concerned with? Right to council? Speedy trial? To not wait for hours at DMV? What specific rights are you concerned about? I'll put your mind at rest.
- new minimalist ethos -

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:20 pm

We can start with the basic "Bill of Rights" ones. If only the rich have any rights, the rest of us don't get those.

We might get a pretense of them. We might get lip service paid to them. But if the rest of us only exist to serve the rich, then there is no way we are going to have them.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Not sure what the CSI: Miami theme song has to do with anything? And who are the people in that picture, I am pretty sure that none of them are even ON the show?

(kidding, kidding)
Skeeve wrote:
You sure about that?

They got to choose the boot.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Revolutions by the rich tend to work out much better than revolutions by the poor. The rich have a big incentive not to let everything turn to shit.

Compare the American Revolution to the French Revolution. The USA remained relatively stable until the unpleasantness of the Civil War 75 years later, whereas France had the Terror followed by the Napoleonic Wars.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Giz wrote:

(kidding, kidding)
Skeeve wrote:
You sure about that?

They got to choose the boot.
The very definition of "cold comfort"

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Did you miss the whole NY Times article that quote came out of?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:05 pm

Grammatron wrote:
It's amazing quite how far and how fast the derangement has spread. Trump derangement syndrome has easily eclipsed BDS and ODS.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:10 am

ed wrote:Yeah but whenever the "people" get some say you get a shithole. A violent shithole at that. I'll go with the landowners.
I probably would not have agreed with that statement before law school. But I do now.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 am

That, my friend, is the cut of my jib.
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:12 am

WildCat wrote:Revolutions by the rich tend to work out much better than revolutions by the poor. The rich have a big incentive not to let everything turn to shit.

Compare the American Revolution to the French Revolution. The USA remained relatively stable until the unpleasantness of the Civil War 75 years later, whereas France had the Terror followed by the Napoleonic Wars.
I think I may agree with this conjecture.

The riskiness of open revolution is also why I prefer reform to revolution where that is possible--and the above may illustrate that it can be a better outcome if some of "the privileged" participate.

And the downside is the possibility of simply replacing one privileged class with another, with no benefit to the ones on behalf of whom the revolution is supposedly occurring.

But the same thing can happen with a violent revolution against the entire "privileged" class, same outcome, only with a lot of dead bodies too.

The world sucks.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:16 am

gnome wrote:
WildCat wrote:Revolutions by the rich tend to work out much better than revolutions by the poor. The rich have a big incentive not to let everything turn to shit.

I think I may agree with this conjecture.

The riskiness of open revolution is also why I prefer reform to revolution where that is possible--and the above may illustrate that it can be a better outcome if some of "the privileged" participate.

And the downside is the possibility of simply replacing one privileged class with another, with no benefit to the ones on behalf of whom the revolution is supposedly occurring.

But the same thing can happen with a violent revolution against the entire "privileged" class, same outcome, only with a lot of dead bodies too.

The world sucks.
I think it's both the gap that is important and also the level of repression in society. The American colonies had a functioning civil society and middle class. Less so imperial Russia and ancien regime France

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 am

Giz wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
It's amazing quite how far and how fast the derangement has spread. Trump derangement syndrome has easily eclipsed BDS and ODS.
To the extent that this can be measured (and I'm not sure if it can)--Trump has been a more openly divisive figure than either. This is not to say that TDS is justified--to the contrary, if we do have our first troll presidency, TDS feeds the troll and it's not a good thing at all.

We cannot respond with blind rage. We must instead respond with measured, focused rage. :twisted:

Reference for that gag:

The Onion: We Must Retaliate With Blind Rage vs. We Must Retaliate With Measured, Focused Rage

Actually the entire point/counterpoint series is a gem of the site.
--Soldier, TF2